cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

GoLLuM13
Adept II

my memory overclock / XMP no longer stable since updating my BIOS from ageesa 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.7

Hello,
I would like to report an issue that started with AGESA 1.2.0.5 and continues with AGESA 1.2.0.6 and 1.2.0.7 for Ryzen 3000 CPU owners.
Currently, I have BIOS 3801 based on AGESA 1.2.0.3 and SMU version for Matisse (Ryzen 3000) processors is 46.71.0.
On this BIOS version everything works as it should (apart from the fTPM problem with Windows 11 which causes a stutter supposed to be fixed with AGESA 1.2.0.7).
Since BIOS version 3904 (i.e. 3904 - 4002 - 4006 and 4201) the AGESA has gone from 1.2.0.3 to 1.2.0.5 then 1.2.0.6 and finally 1.2.0.7 and the SMU for the Matisse CPU (Ryzen 3000) is increased from 46.71. 0 to 46.72.0 and from this version (AGESA and/or SMU) it is almost impossible to start or restart the computer without Q-Code error, black screen, BSOD, as soon as the DOCP profile is activated or the memory frequency is set manually. The only way to make the BIOS based on these AGESA versions work is to leave the RAM frequency on "default" which is not ideal because in my case for example it means 2133 Mhz.
Of course, reverting to an earlier BIOS like the 3801 (which I'm currently using) fixes the issues instantly.
I did some memtests and other tests, the problem is not with my hardware. I researched various forums (including Asus and MSI) and found that this is a common problem among owners of Ryzen 3000 processors and an X570 motherboard or B550. I even saw a person having the same problem, who solved the problem by changing their Ryzen 3000 pro processor to a Ryzen 5000.
So, I really hope this is not a trick from AMD to let Ryzen 3000 users down, and you will do something about it.
PS: I have already contacted Asus support, they have already offered me several solutions, none have worked, and none will work as long as it is a problem within the AGESA, and it comes from you.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 4* Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB 3000 C15 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB
1 Solution
GoLLuM13
Adept II

My problem seems to be solved thanks to Asus. They promised, and they delivered, it's been almost 5 days now that I'm using a modified BIOS specially made for my board and Corsair RAMs, and it's 100% functional, no problem whatsoever so far. I'd like to thank Asus for the hard work and Corsair for borrowing memory sticks to them. I hope they will publicly release it and make it work with more models.

Conclusion :
Even if there were 0 doubt about it unlike what some people said, it wasn't a memory issue, it was a BIOS issue like I stated before. Nothing to have with die model, memory brand or motherboard brand, everything was compatible and functional. If Asus and Corsair proved me something is that, they care and as a customer that's all what I ask for. I hope AMD will find a solution that they can share with other brands too. Thank you to all the people that shared their feedbacks and have been patient.

---Asus RoG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) - AMD Ryzen 9 3900x - 4* Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 8 GB 3000 C15 - Noctua NH-D15S Chromax.Black - nVidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition - Corsair AX1500i - Lian Li O11 XL RoG Certified - 10x Arctic P12 PWM PST A-RGB

View solution in original post

89 Replies
KabouterPlop1
Challenger

1207 has a edc bug so if you are using pbo disable that or go back to 1203c, my memory was stable on 1207 but my rig became unstable with PBO on because anything past default handicaps vcore which causes stability issues, i thought it was memory at the time to it turned out to be edc bug, its annoying how AMD has still not fixed this even tho they reported it as known issue that would be fixed in 1207 which actually never got fixed. 1203c is the last stable bios without EDC bug

Manotosh09
Journeyman III

I am having issue with Ryzen 5 3600, MSI B550M PRO-VDH WiFi (AGESA 1.2.0.7), G.SKILL Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3200MHz CL16 (XMP Profile 1).

MSI Memory Fast Boot Bios Option-

With enabled, first time pc boots fine then I shutdown pc and start again same time it doesn't boot and CPU light stays on. So I have to force shutdown by holding power button, after that I start again and it boots fine. Every time I have to do this to start my PC again. 1st time boots normal, 2nd time no boot CPU light stays on, 3rd time boots again after forced shutdown.
With disabled, everything works normally.
One more difference I noticed with enabled when I click restart from windows my full system shutdown few sec & CPU fan stops then starts again normally, with disabled my system reboots normally and CPU fan stays on the whole time and doesn't stop during restart.

KabouterPlop1
Challenger

If you are on anything newer then agesa 1203c you should turn of PBO because EDC wont go past default turning PBO on default PBO values exceed default edc handicaping cpu and causing random reboots and other stability issues, anyone that somehow thinks better does not know the difference between the classic edc bug from ryzen 3000 and the new edc bug for ryzen 3000 and 5000, trust me you dont wanna upgrade past agesa 1203c if you use PBO

If you are however on anything newer you will be fully stable without PBO or limiting EDC to defaults which is different for each chip.

Thank you for mentioning the EDC bug. Feels like not many people are aware of it. Very annoying issue.
Hope the next AGESA fixes it...whenever that comes out.

I had the same issue with PBO ON or OFF, so it wasn't the issue in my case. And As you probably saw it by now, the solution was a private/custom BIOS from Asus. It's AGESA 1.2.0.7 based, and it fixed all my issues like magic.

I really hope AMD will fix this for all manufacturers in a future AGESA (if there is one).

0 Likes

In my case, I haven't updated/changed my BIOS since I setup my PC (december 2021) and it has been running fine until this summer (2022). I am an "active member" of the group "If it works, don't fix it" The only thing that changed were the system/software updates...

- AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
- MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi (BIOS 1.B0 AMD AGESA 1.2.0.7)
- XFX Radeon RX 570 Series 8 GB
- 4*8 GB DDR4 Crucial (PN# BL8G36C16U4W.M8FE18 ) XMP 2.0 enabled

Ryzen 5000 aren't concerned by the issue I'm talking about in this thread, so no wonder it works

Sorry I have troubles to answer on this forum, you'll find everything on this Reddit Thread

0 Likes
Micheew
Adept I

I did the no PBO/XMP turned on and just set the ram to 3200 and leave the rest to defaults in the bios section, then let the bios do the rest. And it worked. It’s been stable with no crashes/blue screen etc. 

Keep in mind im not an expert. But it worked for me.

Great, happy that it worked for you, it didn't for me, and yet I'm an expert lol

0 Likes
TumKo
Adept II

I upgraded my processor 3900xt to 5950x B2 updated bios 4021 to 4403 no problem pbo enable xmp enable 3200 stable

0 Likes