cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xmarvin732
Newcomer

My External HDD wont work on the USB3 Ports but works on the USB2 Ports

I have had that same problem with my B450 Aorus Pro Mainboard and also with my current MSI X570-A Pro mainboard,

Everytime i connect my external HDD to an USB 3 port, it looks like this picture attached.

When i use Ubuntu or any other Linux for an example, i have no issues using the HDD with USB 3, I feel like the USB Driver for Windows 10 in the chipset is not working :/

Does anyone know how to fix this?

0 Likes
17 Replies

In Device Manager, in the image, is that with your External Intenso Memory Drive connected to a USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0 Port?

According to Intenso's Manual you need to use the supplied USB cable that came with the HDD when you purchased it.

If you are using a different USB cable then the one that came with the external HDD maybe that is why you are having problems in Windows.

Also when you connect it to the USB 3.0 port does the HDD LED light up showing that it is getting enough power?

What does MyPC show when connected to USB 3.0 port?

Can you run diagnostics under "Properties" - "Tools" when you right click on your external HDD in MyPC? 

In your Motherboard's UEFI/BIOS can you configure the USB 3.0 ports and if one of the USB 3.0 settings will help make your external HDD compatible?

The manual mentioned if the USB port doesn't have enough power to run the Ext. HDD to plug it in a USB Hub that has it own power. See if Windows recognizes and shows it compatible?

I am using the Original Cable it came with :/ When i connect it to the USB 2.0 it lights up green, and when i connect it to the USB 3.0 Port it lights up Blue. MyPC Shows it as Local Disk H: but when i try to access it, it freezes, i can Access it in MyPC when i use USB 2.0.
i cant run diagnostics sadly because it endlessly loads :/
i can check later in the UEFI if theres any option for USB 3.0 
Windows recognizes the HDD and all, and MyPC shows it too but i can't access it, i managed to fix it once but i forgot how i did it :/

0 Likes

check the device manager and see if it is showing error code 10

0 Likes

It says This device is working properly. :/

0 Likes

xmarvin732 wrote:

It says This device is working properly. :/

Then this suggests your windows setup is corrupted

you can reset windows and save personal files and you will have to install drivers and apps fresh

0 Likes

I installed it multiple times already, even used an older Version of Windows 10

0 Likes

could be a hardware fault or maybe a new BIOS might help

0 Likes

From what I have read about Intenso external HDD they use a Toshiba HDD in a Intenso exterior case.

Seems like your Intenso ext. HDD came formatted in FAT32. Did you by any chance format it to a different format like NTFS? If you did, format it back to FAT32 and see if it is compatible now with USB 3.0.

I suggest you contact Intenso Support to find out if your HDD is defective: Contact | Intenso 

0 Likes

Its not the HDD or the whole thing, its Windows drivers, it works fine on Linux but it doesnt on Windows, it works fine with a system using AM3 and Intel though.

Its only the AM4 that causes this problem

0 Likes
xmarvin732
Newcomer

Still happens :/

0 Likes

USB cases are low cost, maybe a replacement from eBay might work better?

0 Likes

Same problem, had I known this prior to my ASRock X570 Creator purchase; I would probably looked elsewhere, and reading this thread, probably not AMD (X570) at all. My USB 3.x drives works as a charm on Intel and Mac, but not on this MB. Really, really sad, I do admire AMD for all the good work. And yes, works on USB 2.0 front-side panel connected, flawlessly.

BIOS: 3.10 shipped, 3.30 flashed. Windows 10, 64 bit, updated to latest. MB drivers per ASRock.

0 Likes
arr1
Journeyman III

Possible stopgap measure for disks: eSATA, or simply SATA. Or, a disk caddy for SATA, and for the (presumably) few USB disks, use USB 2.0.

(Of course, no real remedy, but in despair, I'm dismantling select USB 3.x drives, and putting the SATA drives of the aforementioned into SATA drive bays the PC itself)

0 Likes
arr1
Journeyman III

There is glimmer of hope, even for USB on AMD-CPU-equipped mainboards, such as the ASRock X570 Creator. It has indeed two Thunderbolt ports, and accompanying USB 3.2 ports! And these actually works with USB 3.x disk drives! Wonderful! And now the rest is up to AMD!

0 Likes
bankairu
Journeyman III

x570 Gigabyte Aorus PRO rev 1.0 the same problem, the external SSD does not work usb 3.0, the activity indicator flashes constantly, the conductor freezes, with usb 2.0 it works
0 Likes

same problem with msi x570 on win10, only usb2 working with intenso drive,

with seagate and verbatim is working fine usb3,

propably something wrong with controller version of disk

0 Likes

same problem with msi x570 on win10, only usb2 port working with intenso 2.5 drive,

with seagate 2.5 and verbatim 2.5 is working fine in usb3 ports,

propably something wrong with controller version of disk

0 Likes