Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

kaxxi
Adept I

My computer freezes every few seconds

Hello,

I am new to pc building and built my first pc the other day. The first day I installed windows and everything was working fine, I downloaded the gpu driver and it was working fine the same night, but, the next morning, when I went on, there were microstutters (the screeen would skip frames, the audio would become static) and I didn't know what to do. I downloaded the latest GPU drivers and did some more troubleshooting, after that didn't work, I decided to factory reset the pc as I didn't have much data on it anyways. When I reinstalled windows, the problem persist. I have now installed the latest GPU and chipset drivers and the problem still occurs. Sometimes the problem happens where it microstutters every few seconds, and other times it's fine and works normally. I hope someone can help me solve this issue.

I also included screenshots of openhardwaremonitor when the problem happens.

Here are my specifications:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240R RGB

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING

Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2 x 8 GB 2666 MHz CAS 16

ASRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Phantom Gaming D 8G OC

Samsung 860 QVO - 1 TB

Seagate BarraCuda - 1 TB - 64 MB

And my monitor if that matters: Iiyama G-MASTER GB2760QSU-B1

0 Likes
1 Solution
kaxxi
Adept I

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I figured out the issue, I'm not sure why but my display port cable connecting my gpu to my monitor was damaged, I switched it out for HDMI and the problem seems to have resolved itself, I am still confused though, why was the audio was being distorted.

Anyways, I'll take your advice for the motherboard hardcoregames™‌ , I'll try and upgrade it and maybe it will run better as well. Thanks

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If the machine is freezing, can always overclock it to warm it up.

You probably would like an X570 board better for your CPU and video card.

My MSI X570-A PRO has been very rock solid with recent beta BIOS updates.

0 Likes
hawkeye
Elite

Check in Bios the voltage on DRAM...it should be 1.35V.Also check that your dram is set to run at 2666MHz, not higher.

It could be anything I'm just guessing here. Since you're new to PC building did you install the RAM sticks correctly ? Usually you install a module in the first slot than leave the other slot empty and install the second module in the third slot. In this case the fourth slot would be the one near the CPU. The first slot the one furthest from the CPU.

Also be sure to install the latest chipset drivers for your b450 motherboard from Asus website.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes

This User psykotronik  is having a similar issue with his built PC: https://community.amd.com/thread/254553 

0 Likes

Yikes. This sounds way worse than my situation. Sound going static and total frame skips... Not quite my situation. I'm not even sure where to start here. But it sounds like something is occupying resources heavily.

kaxxi
Adept I

Hey guys thanks for the help.

I figured out the issue, I'm not sure why but my display port cable connecting my gpu to my monitor was damaged, I switched it out for HDMI and the problem seems to have resolved itself, I am still confused though, why was the audio was being distorted.

Anyways, I'll take your advice for the motherboard hardcoregames™‌ , I'll try and upgrade it and maybe it will run better as well. Thanks

I use a Ryzen 3000 series which runs well on X570 with the latest BIOS installed

For Ryzen 2000 series, X370 or X470 are fine