Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

flex95
Journeyman III

My 6800 XT have non-XT specs

Hey everyone,

Sorry by advance for my basic english but I'll do my best.

So I recently got a 6800 XT from XFX and like I said in the title is seems like I have a regular 6800 bios even tho my radeon software tells me I do have a 6800XT installed

I think so for two reason : first because I don't have access to the rage mode while it's a 6800 XT only feature;

But also I noticed that my card only consume ~250w at full charge with stock settings, while other benchmark on the are more around ~290w

So I tried to overclock it knowing that the XFX cards have usually good potential; As expected the power consuption with +15% is around 295w but still far away the ~340w I see on any random OC benchmark;

Then I boosted the clock and even with a range of 2600-2700 mhz the card will almost never go over ~2550 mhz. The 6800XT from XFX are kinda known to do well above 2600 mhz so I tought mine wasnt able to get it because of the 50w lack of power ? (I already tried to change power settings with MorePowerTool but nothing changed)

So what go you guys think ? I'll stop it there for now, it's a bit late for me and I work tomorrow but in can drop any screen shot or more information if needed

Thanks for your time

0 Likes
8 Replies
flex95
Journeyman III

up

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

hello, i don't think you can get 340w with the 6800xt , i think 340 is for 6900xt

i rarely approach 290w in games with mine, usual value is 250w yes ,  seems ok

you should maybe compare performance at stock more than wattage or oc

0 Likes

hi, thx for your reply

with 3dmark i get around ~16800 graphic score (timespy 1440p), its a bit underwhelming but still ok;

maybe i just have bad silicon quality but im pretty sure these card can go to 350w and even more (https://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-6800-xt-and-radeon-rx-6800-review_223774/14), and the 6800XT and 6900XT do have the same power consuption at 300w while the 6800 is at 250w (with stock settings)

0 Likes
Nothan
Journeyman III

I have the same card and I am also pretty confused why the "Rage"-Preset is missing. I found several articles where they use this card and enable "Rage".

My power consumption doesn't go above 255W which is the value of the 6800 XT reference card. The XFX one is supposed to go till 280 W at stock.

I am going to write a ticket to the XFX support. I also think it has to do with a somewhat incorrect BIOS.

0 Likes

Try using GPUZ...at the bottom of the main screen choose which graphics card:

Screenshot_5.png

Then select "Lookup"

Screenshot_2.png

It should show you what the original specs should be....

Screenshot_6.png

hawkeye
Elite

If you have the merc 319 model did you check the little BIOS switch that is near the PCIe power cables ? I believe it comes on balanced BIOS by default and you have to flip it to performance mode or whatever they call it. Basically the switch must be flipped away from the PCIe connectors, like in this picture. If it's like in this picture, I don't know what is going on, maybe try to uninstall drivers with DDU in safe mode and try again...Untitled.png

0 Likes
Nothan
Journeyman III

OK, I figured it out. There are actually two versions of this specific card:

One is called "XFX Speedster Merc 319 RX 6800 XT Black", the other one "XFX Speedster Merc 319 RX 6800 XT Core"

The "...Black"-Card (Model Number: RX-68XTACBD9) was released in November 2020. It features increased clock speeds and power values compared to AMDs reference card. It has a BIOS switch to choose between "Balanced" and "Rage" BIOS. It also supports the "Rage"-Tuning-Preset in AMD Software. This is the version you will see in all the reviews and benchmarks out there. (At least I coulnd't find any instance where they used the "Core"-version)

The "...Core"-Card (Model Number: RX-68XTALFD9) was released in January 2021. It looks exactly like the "Black"-Card and even has the same packaging. But it only has the clock speeds and power values of AMDs reference card. Its BIOS switch only lets you chose between two identical BIOS. It doesn't support the "Rage"-Tuning-Preset in AMD Software. Compared to the "Black"-Version it also misses the "14+2 Phase Power Design" and has cheaper fans. (found that on the official XFX website)

The second version is the one I and most definetly OP have. I didn't know there were two versions when i bought the card and I can't quite get my head around why the second version even exists.

Maybe it would be a bit cheaper than the first one if GPU prices where somewhere near normal. It is definetely easy to miss the distinctive part of the card's lengthy name and quite a few sites and merchants leaving it out doesn't make it better.

Still a good GPU i guess

Wow, I had no ideea that there are two versions of the 319 merc, I only knew about the Black version. Good thing to watch out for in case stocks and prices return to normal sometime

0 Likes