Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

That was very useful. Thank you and I'll have someone look into it.

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

I'm particularly interested in those with the issues who also have MSI cards. Those of you who do, please re-post system specs and symptoms here, but try to keep it short for readability.

0 Likes
atrayyou
Adept II

i5 4690K stock

MSI Z97A Gaming 7 with v1.B bios

MSI R9 390 stock

Corsair XMS3 2x4GB 1333MHz CL9

Coolermaster Hyper 412S CPU cooler

Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM drive

Corsair RM550 power supply

Read my first post on page 40 for all my original symptoms, most of these have been fixed through a BIOS update, multiple reinstalls of drivers, uninstalling Gaming Evolved, and disabling or closing HWAC apps wherever possible.  Bad Company 2 still stands as the only game giving me issues, as well as Dota 2 but only in 64-bit DX11, 32-bit DX11 runs just peachy as does DX9.

0 Likes
atrayyou
Adept II

"Far Cry 3 will sometimes crash and sometimes not, but it crashes more often on 15.7.1.

Tomb Raider was crashing for the first day or so, but after trying all the available drivers it seems to be fine now, even on the drivers with which it was originally crashing, which is REALLY wierd.

Battlefield BC2 usually runs fine until I add supersampling, in which case it crashes almost instantly in the campaign and online.  This is the only one which gives me a "driver has stopped working and has recovered" message some of the time:  The rest will just freeze up and force me to alt tab.  Sound continues in all of them.

Risen 3 shows the Deep Silver logo on startup then instantly crashes to desktop, nothing I do with regards to drivers or anything affects it whatsoever.

Deus Ex Human Revolution will stutter for the first few minutes of gameplay and then be just fine, however if I go turning rapidly or changing the camera angle repeatedly in those minutes it will crash and very rarely give a driver crash error.

Sherlock Holmes Crimes & Punishment has the occasional stutter but during the loading scenes in the carriage will drop down to single figures on FPS and GPU usage will plummet. CPU usage rises, which might indicate that it's just because things are loading, but these scenes ran butter smooth on my 750 Ti with the same settings.

Unigine Valley, Kombustor and Furmark run absolutely fine which leads me to rule out hardware issues, power requirements or heat issues as I have monitored the temperatures that rarely touch 65C."

Quoted from P40.

0 Likes

Check his post you like for my reply Ray. I think it could be helpful too.

0 Likes
luccalucca
Adept I

So with the new beta drivers GTA5 is now more unstable than ever befor. Even in directx10 I cant play for 20 minutes without a crash. doing story line over and at the part where you drive the yellow suv through Simeon front window and during the cut scene it will crash. able to skip the scene, beat simeon up, then switched to Franklin and started to drive an it crashed. like 3x, and on 3rd time I alt tab'd outa the game an was able to close it befor entire pc went blackscreen. also the fullscreen mode is screwy.

I wanna go back to 15.7 but cant find it anymore, anybody out there have a copy or link they can post? This new driver seems like a step backwards for me.

btw my computer consist of

; Intel i5-3570k (LGA1155)

Asus P8 Z77-V PRO motherboard

2x G.Skill RipJaw DDR3-2133 PC3-17000 8192mb sticks

ASUS Radeon r9 390x STRIX 8gb GPU

HX1050 CORSAIR Power Supply 1050watt

0 Likes
kwaza
Journeyman III

Spec:

Seagate 1TB 7200obr. 64MB

MSI Radeon R9 390 8192MB 512bit Gaming

Dell U2515H

G.SKILL 8GB 2133MHz RipjawsX CL9

MSI Z97-G43 (Z97 2xPCI-E DDR3)

Intel i5-4690K 3.50GHz 6MB BOX

SilentiumPC 550W Supremo M1 Gold

Bought new pc with r9 390 one month ago. Clean Windows 10 install R9 390 installed with 15.8 Beta drivers. Got multiple crashes in Witcher 3 every few minutes.

What i noticed:

When i closed back ground applications gave me more time till crushed.

When i closed AMD gaming Evolved crushed only once.

When i updated drivers to AMD Catalyst 15.9.1 Beta did not crushed anymore in Witcher 3 (played one seasion 3 hours).

Games like Guild Wars 2, Crysis 3, Star Citizen, Dota2, Team Fortress 2, Civilization 5, World of Warships working fine for me.

But need more time to test if problem is totally solved for me. Now at least witcher 3 seems to be playable.

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

How is this for stress testing

Windows 10 64bit.

Sapphire 390x with Driver v15.9.1b

What we have is 4 monitors, going from left to right (1 thru 4), everything is running simultaneously, RAM usage is only 4.9GB.

Monitor 1: Unigine Sanctuary / 1920x1080 / Windowed / OpenGL with MSI Afterburner on top for GPU stats.

Monitor 2: Unigine Heaven / 1920 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX9 with CPUID HWMonitor app on top for HW stats.

Monitor 3: Unigine Valley / 1280 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX11 with Chrome on left side with HW Accel. on running a youtube video.

Monitor 4: Unigine Tropics / 19020 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX10 with 2 instances of GPU-Z running one for GPU specs and other with sensor info.

Lots 8.jpg

Here is a link to the original size image in my DropBox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kq6gcxwksna9wxu/Lots%208.jpg?dl=0

I ran computer like this for about an hour.

Granted framerates weren't that great

If you remember from my post #460 before I could not run these benchmarks in DX11 in Win10 before (15.7 or 15.8b).

FFXIV Heavenward benchmark still crashes on its own with nothing else running (DX11 windowed or fullscreen modes, Win10)

So, not bad eh, I am going to try ARK later this evening, an actual game, on 15.7 and 15.8b it crashed within about 30 seconds from launching so we'll see how it goes.

What I don't like though is the hitching and hiccups or short freezes I am seeing in pretty much everything (when run on its own of course).  I didn't notice it before but if it was as bad as it is now I am pretty sure I would have.

P.S. As a little side note, this is also a way you can turn your PC into a 500w room heater.  I actually for this very reason had a few days down time while I cut a hole in my ceiling to install a ducted exhaust fan to suck out all the extra heat generated by this system and I also fabricated my own desk to support all the monitors.

Last edited 20:29 for grammar & spelling.

Again, I think it's related to the TDP or power limit or power play settings depending on how you decide to say it. Thus, the stuttering noted.. Seriously I should totally get a free GPU for figuring this issue out for these jerks who made it out to be me that was the issue the whole time, stressing me out.

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

And here is yet another with again 4 monitors running simultaneously.

Windows 10 64bit.

Sapphire 390x with Driver v15.9.1b

Monitor 1: Unigine Sanctuary / 1920x1080 / Windowed / OpenGL, Chrome with HW Accel. on at a site running a 3D WebGL demo.

Monitor 2: Unigine Heaven / 1920 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX9, Chrome with HW Accel. on running a YouTube movie trailer.

Monitor 3: Unigine Valley / 1280 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX11, Chrome with HW Accel. on at a site running a 3D WebGL demo.

Monitor 4: Unigine Tropics / 19020 x 1080 / Windowed / DirectX10, Chrome with HW Accel. on at a site running a 3D WebGL demo.

Lots 9.jpg

And again for clarity the link to the original image size on my DropBox account.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vqag3scu4xsg1gr/Lots%209.jpg?dl=0

So in summary we are talking about a 390x using drivers 15.9.1b running 4 different benchmark programs in OpenGL, DX9, DX10, DX11 & 4 Chrome browser windows open with hardware acceleration on whereby 1 is playing a YouTube Video and the other 3 are running 3D WebGL demos.

Not too bad.

Now to try a game a bit later and investigate the hitching further that I mentioned in my post above.

0 Likes