Want to buy mine, would make me very happy

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

0 Likes
wallenfox
Adept I

You should really read the entire thread.  To quote a great movie....  "So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know..."

seether831
Adept III

danglingparticiple​ I'd be more inclined to believe that if the videos weren't so short and this problem weren't affecting so many people. I had instances where a game would run 2 hours then crash. Upon restarting that game it would crash 5 minutes in. In GTA V's case I can play story for a descent amount of time but load up online and drive a block "Display driver stopped responding and recovered". The problem here is the silent majority are either non vocal on the issue or just returned the card for something else. But this problem spans to big a time-line and to wide a variety of board partners to be narrowed down to anything other than a driver issue or mass defect. If it's the latter I smell a recall. If not then the former is true.

Not to mention the fact that the card or drivers are far less stable under windows 10 and crash the games no matter what. Under 8.1 and 7 I can play GTA V and FFXIV DX11 fine so long as no other HWAC apps are running behind the game as long as I want with no crashes. If the card was defective the result would be the same across all 3 OS versions (Not to mention the problem would manifest in more ways than one. Artifacting , Black Screens , BSODs , system shutdowns ,etc) Which yet again points to this being a driver issue and possibly a firmware issue as many have suggested in this thread.

As far as system configurations there are a wide variety here both AMD and Intel based that work fine with a different GPU in the system. There are people who RMAed their cards after believing they were defective only to get a replacement that does the same thing. I mean people have just about tried everything and gone as far as updating BIOSes and other hardware drivers on their systems all with no solution to this problem. The fact that it affects so many and on such a wide variety of system setups is a red flag to me.

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

As I don't work for AMD I'm not going to debate the scope of the issue further. For those who would like a fresh brain to troubleshoot with, message me directly.

0 Likes
boarddon
Journeyman III

oh boy, I'm really about to lose my patience here...

With my R9 390 (Sapphire Nitro) on Windows 10 I'm also completely unable to play DX11 Games (tried 3-4 different ones, mostly Witcher 3). That is sooo frustrating... and what do those AMD-guys do? Try to play it down!!!

NO GUYS, THAT AIN'T NO 390X ONLY ISSUE!!! NO GUYS THAT AIN'T NO GTA V OR HEAVENSWARD ISSUE! IT'S A BLOODY R9 3XX ON WINDOWS 10 AND DIRECTX11 ISSUE!!! STOP LYING ABOUT IT, ACKNOWLEDGE AND SOLVE IT!!!

It's so ironic, guess why I did not buy the 970. It's because I didn't want to support a company that is cheating it's customers with that 4GB VRAM-lie. And now that...

warpfact0r10
Forerunner

You really know how to make a guy feel glad he offered to help.

0 Likes
arandis25
Adept I

Catalyst 15.9 Beta

Known Issues

• [57189] GTA V crashes on some AMD Radeon R9 390X GPU's

At least now they recognize this as an issue.

Can someone test the 15.9 Beta ?

AMD Catalyst 15.9 Beta Driver for Windows

0 Likes
seether831
Adept III

danglingparticiple:

You really know how to make a guy feel glad he offered to help.

danglingparticiple​ I know you had your heart in the right place but some folks here are just tired of this whole situation. Granted it's no excuse to just lash out at anyone and everyone.

arandis25​ Problem is thats not the whole issue and they label it as though it's a 390X only problem. The real problem is DX11 HWAC related crashes on the 380 , 380X , 390 and 390X it's not just GTA and FFXIV that have this issue. The 15.9 driver appears to crash in just basic web browsing now.... which is worse than just having the games crash.

0 Likes
empl0de
Journeyman III

I was so excited when I read about the update 15,9. However it seems to only make the situation worse.

I only recently got the card, a week ago. Now I am 90% sure this is a driver issue. However somewhere there still lingers some doubt that it might be a hardware related issue.  I am running a 390 on a 450W PSU.

And if this was the driver issue, I should not be crashing on game when I play them in Directx 9 right? (Archeage)

0 Likes