thekingofnom
Adept I

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

dies in wicther

gpolk
Adept I

Hey guys, made an account to post this.

I was experiencing the same driver reset crash as a lot of you. My main issue was with GTA5. Similar to some other users setting to dx10/10.1 did not fix my issue. I had tried pretty much every fix I could find or think of.

In my perusing I found nvidia users were suffering similar issues in large numbers. It's not all AMD. They're getting the same driver crash in the same games, seemingly exclusively with the GTX 9xx series. Lots of angry 980 users although interestingly not many 980ti as far as I noticed. Anyway an nvidia user posted what fixed his issue and so I gave it a go and so far at least it seems to have worked.

The suggestion was to go into device manager and disable the nvidia audio devices. Our soundcards have built in audio these days for processing sound themselves to pass over HDMI. So in device manager, system, for me there were 2 'HD Audio' devices. I disabled both of these, and also disabled my onboard sound, leaving just my Asus soundcard to run the show.

I've now gone from consistent GTA5 crashes occuring after a few minutes or if I'm lucky up to an hour, but I've now played 3 long sessions of GTA with no performance issues, with graphics on very high/ultra in dx11 mode, and no crashes. It's always possible that this hasn't done anything and there is a crash just waiting for me, but since I don't use the graphics card audio stuff anyway its a pretty harmless thing to disable anyway.

My system:

AMD 8350 cpu

AMD 390x gpu (visiontek)

16gb DDR3

120gb ssd system drive. Bunch of mechanical storage and game drives.

Asus DGX soundcard.

So anyway, give it a go. Like so many of the suggested fixes people have posted it probably won't help most people, but its harmless to try unless you really rely on audio over HDMI.

seether831
Adept III

gpolk​ You didn't list your OS. Nor the OS of the nvidia users you refer to xD

0 Likes
sipowicz
Adept I

Whelp,

my vendor has offered me a refund on the Asus R9 390 Strix.  Ive got a few more days to wait for a fix (wont hold my breath) but then this thing is going back.  If that be the case, I wont be replacing it with another AMD unit, and AMD will have lost a long standing customer.

0 Likes
gpolk
Adept I

So I didn't. I'm Windows 10 pro x64. Can't speak for all the nvidia users in the world but similarly looks like a windows 10 predominant, but effecting 7 and 8 also.

gpolk
Adept I

I'll download the heavenward benchmark when I get home from work. I don't play ffxiv but it does look like most can replicate their dx11 crashes with this. See if it can run.

0 Likes
seether831
Adept III

Only brought it up because it is a very relevant thing to mention. Also I have tried to disable the sound device. However this doesn't solve the 390s Hardware acceleration conflicts. Under Windows 10 the games just crash regardless of other programs in the background or not. Under 8.1 and 7 they only crash when another application using Hardware acceleration is running at the same time as the game. If it worked for you thats wonderful but for the majority of us here the solution is a driver update that is yet to be released. In Windows 10 cases there may be more that needs to be done in addition to a new driver but thats more than likely Microsoft's side of things. But the idea is that we should not have to tweak settings and disable things to make the card function as intended. This is the first time I have ever had a problem like this with an AMD product and now I see why they get bashed for their drivers. TDRs seem to be an issue under Windows 10 that affect AMD and Nvidia alike. As for 7 and 8.1 with the hardware acceleration issue (which is definitely present under W10 as well as the TDR) thats all AMD Driver related.

Tests were done with:

Windows 10 Home X64

Windows 8.1 x64
Windows 7 Home Premium X64

zasy99
Challenger

mxmoff​ & sipowicz

Return your cards ASAP if you can, get your refund, move on...

But it's only like ten people this is effecting? Why so serious?

/S

Edit; I have my 7970 back in action now because I returned my 390X and I can make it crash under windows 10 as well when using hardware acceleration in firefox just fyi. Yes it's consistent, so it seems like it's all the cards at this point to an extant of course because the 390x seemed to act worse.

I turned off Hardware acceleration in firefox and the issues went away.

0 Likes
daxtrax
Journeyman III

Sapphire Nitro R9 390
Windows 8.1
Driver version 15.15

Driver crashing in dx11 games if youtube plays in chrome even if offscreen. Otherwise it works great.

AMD has already acknowledged the problem so I'm waiting for the driver update and shaking head at the amount of the butthurt in this thread..