cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

The new build will be available early next week. I just get a new message from MSFT. This is for the fast ring.

0 Likes
scorpion986
Journeyman III

when i first bought my xfx 390 DD  i had some issues with my cpu heatsink and as my games started to crash i tho its was due to overheating, so i cranck the fan speed to 100% to keep it cool, after i bough a new cpu AIO cooling, i put back the fan speed on auto, and  the crashing started again,even tho the temperatures were normal, so i started looking online for answers, i didnt know the 390 had issues with drivers/crashing, when i found this thread, i started some testings.  first thing i did was putting back the fan speed to 100%  and  there we go,  no crashes again everything working fine, i play  GTA 5 and Final Fantasy Heavensward, so i did some testing

with fan on auto:

GTAV = crashed

FFXIV = Crashed

with msi afterburn keeping fan speed on par with temperatures

again crash on all games

so i put msi to put the fans @ 100% as soon as it hits 50*c temps  and there we go again no crashes so far yet.   so if anyone else willing to try see if this temporary fix helps them too

my comp spec are

amd FX 8320 @ 4.0ghz

MSI m5a97 r2.0 mobo

HysperX Fury 8gb(2x4gb) 1600mhz

XFX 390 DD with 15.8 Catalyst beta drivers

both games running @ 1080p   full max settings

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

Do you know what are the highlights of the "new build" ?

0 Likes

What's a fast ring?

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

scorpion986

What OS are you using?

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

thewebsiteisdown

The Fast Ring is for people who want to receive windows updates and builds faster then the mainstream user.

You can opt in or out of it.

Here is more information.

scorpion986
Journeyman III

Windows 10 pro

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

I will try this out tomorrow (with the fans running at 100%) although I cannot imagine why DX11 in Win10 would suddenly work just because the card is running a little cooler.

Mine on auto never gets over 73 C which on a high end GPU running flat out is very good and safe.  I have a slightly tweaked fan profile that keeps it just under 70 C and also nicely cools the VRAM by over 5 C.  At these temps my fans are around 53% of full rpm.

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

Just a thought for those having issues with GTA V, try running it with the command switch -DX10 or -DX10_1 and see if it becomes more stable, doing so forces DirectX 10/10.1 mode.

Note that DX10 visuals are inferior to DX11 so expect that, report back what the FPS is like.  I do not have the game yet so cannot try it myself.

See this page from Rockstar for more command line switches, there are a lot of them.

0 Likes
qzmarco
Adept III

Sapphire R9 390X here.

GPU fans 100%. Crash after about 8 minutes running the benchmark. Windows 10 x64.

0 Likes