cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zasy99
Challenger

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

So after a bit of testing with FFXIV Heavensward Benchmark.

Settings = 1920x1080 Windowed mode.  Maximum quality settings on all benchmark tabs.

This was done on a new Windows 8.1 x64 and Windows 10 x64 installations.

My GPU is the Sapphire 390x.

These specific results are from the AMD 15.8 beta drivers but note that results were also the same in previous driver versions as well.

Some points to note:

For Windows 8.1:

• When running FFXIV in DX9 you can use other apps at the same time that are also using HW acceleration which is shown by me using youtube (Chrome with HW Acc. on) and also a full screen web OpenGL window during the benchmark.
  • When running FFXIV in DX11 you can do the same as above with but HW acceleration off, if it is on and being used it crashes.  I say "and being used" because HW Acc. can be activated but displaying a tab that does not use it eg. just text from a browser search result and it will not crash.  If you have a page open the uses the HW Acc. then it will crash.

For Windows 10:

• When running FFXIV in DX9 you can use other apps at the same time that are also using HW acceleration which is shown by me using youtube  (Chrome with HW Acc. on) during the benchmark.
  • FFXIV in DX11 under Windows 10 just outright fails even with nothing else running at the same time.  The only thing I can think of is that the Win10 user interface is using GPU assisted HW Acceleration and although I have searched extensively I cannot find any way to turn it off (in Win7/8 yes but not in 10).

TitleDirectXOperatingResultSettingsGPU settings usingApplications running at theNotes
VersionSystemMSI Afterburnersame time as benchmark.
FFXIV Heavensward9Win 8.1 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner
FFXIV Heavensward9Win 8.1 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner, ChromeChrome with HW acceleration on and several tabs open including Youtube video running and WebGL full screen 3D program using OpenGL in browser.
FFXIV Heavensward11Win 8.1 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner
FFXIV Heavensward11Win 8.1 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner, ChromeChrome with HW acceleration on however 1 tab with only google search results.
FFXIV Heavensward11Win 8.1 x64failWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner, ChromeChrome with HW acceleration on 1 tab playing Youtube Video.
FFXIV Heavensward11Win 8.1 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum SettingsDefaultMSI Afterburner, ChromeChrome with HW acceleration off 2 tabs playing Youtube Videos
FFXIV Heavensward9Win 10 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum Settingsn/aNone
FFXIV Heavensward9Win 10 x64passWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum Settingsn/aChromeChrome with HW acceleration on 1 tab playing Youtube Video.
FFXIV Heavensward11Win 10 x64failWindowed, 1920x1080, Maximum Settingsn/aNone

Update 1:

I have also run several more benchmarks using Unigine's Tropics, Sanctuary and Valley.

These cover a range of DirectX versions including 9, 10.0, 10.1 & 11.

Results were the same:

DX version 9, 10, 10.1 stable with other apps using HW Accel. in both Win 8.1 and 10.

DX11 failed with HW on in Win 8.1 and with only the benchmark and nothing else running in Windows 10.

An interesting point was that there were strange flickering / flashing issues during some scenes with the benchmarks using DX 10 & 10.1 but 9 and 11 were fine.

Update 2:

I just thought I'd point out that these scenarios don't just hold true for benchmarks but also actual gaming.

Due to the number of Operating System re-installs I am just currently playing two games, Rift (DX9) and ARK Survival Evolved (DX11).

Rift works in either OS Win 8.1 or 10 with Chrome HW Acc. on or off.

ARK will work in Win 8.1 but with Chrome's HW Acc. off only, Windows 10 and just ARK running its lasts 30 - 60 seconds before crashing even if its the only thing running at the time.

I can play ARK (DX11) in Win 8.1 all day (if I had the time, max single length session was ~ 6 hrs) with MSI Afterburner, Riva Tuner, Chrome with HW Acc. off without a crash.

Final thoughts:

In the event of the DX11 crash scenarios above I tried many tweaks & tricks to obtain stability.

Overvoltage, Increase Power %, Underclock, change TDR setting in registry, disable ULPS, force constant voltage.  Nothing worked, same results.

I see a number of posts now referring to possibly faulty VRAM.  If this were the case the card would also crash in DX9 and DX10 scenarios, not just DX11.

In my opinion and through testing it truly seems to be a driver only issue (I hope).  You can RMA your card as many times as you want but unless it was crashing in DX 9 & 10 titles also to begin with you are unlikely to see an improvement on an exchanged card until AMD rectifies the issue in their drivers.  Again, my opinion only or let us call it an educated guess so don't hold me to it.

AMD, please, help us.

Last edited at 13:10 (GMT-3h) for spelling corrections.

empyreanmax
Adept I

God's work, etc.

0 Likes
qzmarco
Adept III

Exccelent job!

Please ray_m​ take a look on this.

kord_12_7
Adept II

It's driver problem for sure, because my "faulty" pcs+ r9 390 works fine on other system, but on mine system it's get TDR error always.

My system: fx-8300, asus m5a99x evo r2.0, 4gb x 2 kingston value ram, PSU DQ750 evo, windows 10 x64. On this system i got TDR always. But on other similar system (same config, but it's have m5a97 evo instead of m5a99x) my r9 390 works fine. You can say that my MB is faulty, but no, it's work fine with gtx970 and hd-5770 cards. It's some magic.

0 Likes
zasy99
Challenger

Thanks for the positive feedback folks.

I have also edited my post with two new updates below the table and a "final thoughts" section.

I just now also copied my post into a document, printed to PDF and sent it to AMD via their online tech support request mail form with an indication of our issues and linking back to this thread.

paulie1984
Adept II

i ran the benchmark last nite and managed to get it to complete. with a score of test results.

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark

Tested on: 09/09/2015 17:04:29

Score: 8359

Average Frame Rate: 66.043

Performance: Extremely High

-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Loading Times by Scene

Scene #1 4.492 sec

Scene #2 15.076 sec

Scene #3 7.695 sec

Scene #4 6.967 sec

Scene #5 6.210 sec

Scene #6 3.217 sec

Total Loading Time 43.659 sec

DAT:s20150909170429.dat

Screen Size: 1920x1080

Screen Mode: Full Screen

DirectX Version: 11

Graphics Presets: Maximum

General

-Wet Surface Effects: Enabled

-Occlusion Culling: Disabled

-LOD on Distant Objects: Disabled

-Real-time Reflections: Highest Quality (DirectX 11 Only)

-Edge Smoothing (Anti-aliasing): FXAA

-Transparent Lighting Quality: High

-Grass Quality: High

-Background Tessellation: High Quality

-Water Tessellation: High Quality

Shadows

-Self: Display

-Other NPCs: Display

Shadow Quality

-LOD on Shadows: Disabled

-Shadow Resolution: High - 2048p

-Shadow Cascading: Best

-Shadow Softening: Strong

Texture Detail

-Texture Filtering: Anisotropic

-Anisotropic Filtering: x16

Movement Physics

-Self: Full

-Other NPCs: Full

Effects

-Limb Darkening: Enabled

-Radial Blur: Enabled

-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+: High Quality (DirectX 11 Only)

-Glare: Normal

Cinematic Cutscenes

-Depth of Field: Enabled

System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (10240.th1.150819-1946)

AMD Processor Model Unknown   (EDIT) its actualy an unlocked phenom ii 960t

8153.336MB

AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (VRAM 3072 MB) 8.17.0010.1404

i then ran it again today starting at 4k ended with a crash

then again at 2k ended in a crash. i than ran it in 1080p again with a complation no crash with this score of.....

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Heavensward Benchmark

Tested on: 10/09/2015 16:19:57

Score: 8158

Average Frame Rate: 63.416

Performance: Extremely High

-Easily capable of running the game on the highest settings.

Loading Times by Scene

Scene #1    4.630 sec

Scene #2    15.038 sec

Scene #3    7.607 sec

Scene #4    7.303 sec

Scene #5    6.242 sec

Scene #6    3.102 sec

Total Loading Time    43.923 sec

DAT:s20150910161957.dat

Screen Size: 1920x1200

Screen Mode: Full Screen

DirectX Version: 11

Graphics Presets: Maximum

General

-Wet Surface Effects: Enabled

-Occlusion Culling: Disabled

-LOD on Distant Objects: Disabled

-Real-time Reflections: Highest Quality (DirectX 11 Only)

-Edge Smoothing (Anti-aliasing): FXAA

-Transparent Lighting Quality: High

-Grass Quality: High

-Background Tessellation: High Quality

-Water Tessellation: High Quality

Shadows

-Self: Display

-Other NPCs: Display

Shadow Quality

-LOD on Shadows: Disabled

-Shadow Resolution: High - 2048p

-Shadow Cascading: Best

-Shadow Softening: Strong

Texture Detail

-Texture Filtering: Anisotropic

-Anisotropic Filtering: x16

Movement Physics

-Self: Full

-Other NPCs: Full

Effects

-Limb Darkening: Enabled

-Radial Blur: Enabled

-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: HBAO+: High Quality (DirectX 11 Only)

-Glare: Normal

Cinematic Cutscenes

-Depth of Field: Enabled

System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (10240.th1.150819-1946)

AMD Processor Model Unknown (EDIT) its actualy an unlocked phenom ii 960t

8153.336MB

AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series (VRAM 3072 MB) 8.17.0010.1404

that started to make me think it could actualy be the benchmark and game clients not accessing enough vram with only being 32bit clients and resolution bigger than 1080p generaly require more vram. BUT then i ran it at 1080p again and got another crash lol. sorry for the big reply

0 Likes
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for this impressive amount of work you have done. I've already sent it to the right people !

zasy99
Challenger

Thanks ray_m.

My pleasure, I have a vested interested in getting this resolved for others as well as myself so glad to help in any way I can.

neohero31
Journeyman III

Hi everyone,

I just made this account to contribute here since I'm experienceing the same issues as many of you here.

I can confirm @theacclaimed 's theory of it being related to the driver for shure as I can play most dx11 titles I own without an issue but as soon as I stream with OBS the driver crashed saying OpenGL and x264 encoding were enabled and used at the same time and in conflict.

I couldn't screenshot it since I had to hard reset after the crash and I couldn't replicate it as bad as it did happen the first time with a message appearing, but the crashing still occured when trying to stream dx11 games.

You can see the stream crash; it still is archived on my twitch ( Twitch ). there you can also see that I streamed the exact same game and other title(s) running in dx9 without any issues.

I have had my system rebuilt and stability tested at a local system builder where I bought my parts off, since I had unrelated issues with my psu before I even installed the os, so the card can't be faulty.

I don't blame the people actually working on these drivers since I believe a common theme at amd is to rush things in order to save up on money, so what most likely happened here is that someone noticed the issue or it just slipped through bugtesting but then again folks at AMD LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE PAYING YOUR SALARIES/ YOUR CUSTOMERS!

It can't be that this thread was up well before the new beta driver was released and no mention of it was made in the log for it so ignoring one big issue to push ahead the made up schedule by the person whos in charge of the driver team, probably someone who's not actually codeing but rather just overseeing the whole thing.

I have reported this issue to various tech sites as well since I think we need a public explanation for how you can actually break compatibility with an already very well known and implemented dx version. Atleast I'm really curios to hear what the problem was.

I still believe that the 390 and 390x are the best bang for the buck cards you can get at the moment that will serve alot of people very well in the future once the drivers are working;

Mistakes are always forgiveable if one has the courage to admit them.

and yes english is not my native language, so expect this to be a mess of a thing to read.

Anyway's I hope this issue gets a fix asap, since I really want to stream never games and not have to use dx9.

0 Likes
seether831
Adept III

zasy99​ That is exactly what I think was needed. People keep trying to tell me the cards defective. But I know better. I know what a failing GPU does and it's not just crashing under DX11. It bluescreens and crashes , artifacts up , or locks up , black screens can also be caused by it (However black screens can also be caused for a number of other reasons.) But the point is it'd crash regardless of DX version as you stated . (I had a GTX 770 go on me and there were artifacts and lockups regardless of the DX version.Or Driver for that matter.)

0 Likes