cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

theacclaimed
Miniboss

Re: MSI R9 390, Driver crashing, Help

Yeah, it is a driver problem that only affects the 300 series. At least for me, this includes the 390 and 390x. I can't confirm that the 380 is included, but it might.

The only thing I do know for a fact is that the 200 series works fine with the latest drivers. What I did for now is swap back to the old 290x.

dejarik
Journeyman III

Please let me know if your old 290x work better, specialy on windows 10 if you decide to test the os.

for my part i got the XFX R9 390 to replace my old SAPPHIRE R9 280X and sofar i'm verry disappointed,

GTA 5 was running better on my old VGA and on windows 10 its even worst game is choppy pretty much unplayable,

Ark survival evolved simply freeze on windows 10, always at the same place.

I would had expect a 500$ VGA to perform well, i guess i was wrong

if something doesnt hapend realy fast, ill simply return my VGA to newegg.

0 Kudos
beachedwalrusau
Adept II

I took my card back and got it replaced and new card is running flawlessly. No crashes, no artifacts, no graphical corruption. Bad batch of msi cards maybe?

cvaria
Adept II

i returned my 390 and got a 290x 8gb.  look earlier in the posts.    it's a better card than the 390 anyway.   newegg had the xfx @ $379 w/$30 rebate but now it's back at 449.   they have the sapphire 290x 8gb for 379.   i recommend anyone who is buying  or thinking about a 390 (not 390x) just but a 290 8gb.

gta just crashes... period.  totally random.  i've found that if you do a clean boot (msconfig)  before you play it you can go for hours with no crash as opposed to just starting it after doing something else... crash crash crash.  no idea why.   

win10 dx11 gameplay has been fine on my 290x.   

0 Kudos
beachedwalrusau
Adept II

Ok i was wrong, new msi 390 card is crashing, but it just a driver crash every time. Always says it whenever coh2 crashes. I assume the driver is  pretty terrible.

0 Kudos
crunkshaft
Adept II

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalyst15-7-1WINReleaseNotes.aspx. just look at the known issues. It explains all the known issues with the driver including the gta v crash for the 390. Kind of crazy they released it like this. They need to fix this quick

0 Kudos
cvaria
Adept II

Dude, 290x 8gb.  Problem solved.  I dont even sweat it anymore.   Life is good.  Shame on amd for rushing that trash out.

0 Kudos
crispal77
Adept II

YES. Me toooo!!!

0 Kudos
empyreanmax
Adept I

Adding myself to this list. Brand new build including an MSI 390x. In GTA V I'm lucky if I can get through the prologue without encountering the AMD drivers crashed but have successfully reloaded message. The game freezes up, there's a flash of colored lines across the screen and that message pops up, the screen is frozen on the scene it was displaying but the game continues on in the background until I go to the task manager to end it. Frustrating, but no big deal I thought as I would just start playing The Witcher 3 first instead. That seemed to be fine (and stunning by the way, this card really does some work when it's working properly) for multiple sessions until the same exact crash happened just now.

Please get your head out of your rear when it comes to drivers, AMD. I can absolutely see why an experience like this would cause somebody to go nvidia and never look back, and this is happening all over the place. One would really think you'd be more concerned.

beachedwalrusau
Adept II

Would be nice if they actually responded again in here saying whether or not they know what it is and if they are fixing it. At the moment I have a $500 aud brick sitting in my computer, very frustrating.

Has anyone found a way around these crashes? More voltage? or is it due to hardware acceleration issue?

0 Kudos