Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

modmyth
Adept I

MSI and Freesync

Hello,

I recently built my own computer, and i am stuck.

I want to optimize my gaming. Mainly to play games like the Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

I understand that there is software that can help your rig become more efficient at running games.

What I beleive is available to me at this time are the following:

Through the AMD GPU:

AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition and/or FreeSync

Through the MSI Monitor:

Gaming Center for Optix and/or MSI OSD

What program do you suggest to use? Or what combination of programs?

Specs:

OS               Windows 10 Pro

GPU            XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT

CPU            AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X

HSF            be quiet! Dark Rock 4

Mobo          AMD ASRock X570 STEEL LEGEND

RAM           G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)  

HDD            WD RE4 WD2003FYYS 2TB

SSD             Intel Solid State Drive (SSD)

PSU             EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3

Monitor       MSI Optix G24C

Thank you.

9 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

You do not need additional software. AMD drivers provide what you need.
Run AMD Radeon Settings software and follow this way:
Gaming > Global Settings
And you should set Frame Rate Target Limit to 120 FPS.
This way, you will always stay in FreeSync range.
You should also set the game display setting to Fullscreen.

Edit: Also, make sure your desktop and the game are running with 144 hertz refresh. Because with 60 hertz, you may not be able to use hardwares that you receive fully functional.

0 Likes

Thank you mstbsrn980.

I will experiment with that.

I do think I have to go into the MSI OSD and set it up as AMD suggests. I think I turn on FreeSync in there, and make sure the Blur is off.

I'm also looking at what the best settings for the monitor.

I read the responses out of order. Someone answered after you, but I responded first to them.

The game I want to run is the Witcher 3, but it is also through GOG.

I will play around with it.

I appreciate your attention.

Thank you again.

Juan G.

drallim
Elite

You need to turn it on in radeon settings, and also the monitor's OSD.

Hi drallim,

Thanks.

I appreciate the answer, and your time. I’m new at this.

I downloaded Adrenaline 2019. And turned FreeSync on. I actually found out about FreeSync via the MSI monitor’s specs.

And followed the suggested instructions for the MSI OSD.

And it worked for a while. I was playing Witcher 3, and I ended up having some issues. Black screen & loud electric noise.

I messed around with the settings for FreeSync, and also for the game. It is through GOG by the way. Lowered from Ultra to High, and I think I still have to

Get rid of things that affect hair and grass movement.

Anyway, I did some research and found that – if I understand correctly – that MSI monitors can use something called Gaming Center for Optix.

And I’m wondering what is the best way to go. Meaning – should I use that instead of FreeSync?

Or if this MSI Gaming Center is simpler than FreeSync – so don’t use FreeSync at all?

Or do I have to use them in conjunction with each other? And do something in particular so that the programs shake hands and work together?

Or if GOG just does not want FreeSync or MSI messing with it?

A lot of questions, I know. I apologize for that. I may be over thinking this whole thing. Should I even bother with the MSI Gaming Center utility?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Juan

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes
drallim
Elite

MSI monitors can use something called Gaming Center for Optix.

I don't know what this is, I've never heard of it, so I can't help you there. I can tell you that it should not be necessary for freesync to work. Freesync allows the graphics card and monitor to change the monitor's refresh rate on the fly, to match your in game framerate. The game does not need to know about freesync, it is between the graphics card and the monitor.

The black screen and loud electric noise you got does not sound very healthy. However I do not think it is related to freesync.

0 Likes

OK. Thanks a lot!

Back to FreeSync!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

0 Likes

For best results with Free Sync you want to set your range to be 1 inside of the actual range on the minimum and maximum for your monitor.

Looking up your monitor your range depends on how it is connected.

Display Port: 48~144Hz
HDMI: 48~120Hz

So for instance if you are using Display Port you would set your range to 49 to 143. That is all you need to do to set the proper range.

Your black screen issue has been reported by many users. It could be a driver maturity issue or a power delivery issue. Reading in these forums many suggest all kinds of tweaks to fix this issue. Seems to be some of the advice is contrary or the complete opposite or other advice so no telling what might help your situation.

I would suggest you try one of the most common fixes for issues with AMD cards and that is to Raise the Power Limit Slider to it's maximum. It is in Wattman in Radeon Settings. The max for your card should be 50. Just move that slider all the way to the right. See if that doesn't improve things. Report back either way and we can try other possibilities if that does not help.

Also you can talk to the tech support department of who made your card or contact actual AMD support here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

I would add that as others stated you don't need any other tweaking software to fix things. AMD does not recommend the use of 3rd party tweakers. You can do all the tweaking that you could ever want right in Radeon Settings Wattman.  Again many would give you opposite advice there too. For me I find it always best to stay as close to Vanilla settings as possible without the involvement of 3rd party settings. Not saying by any means that it isn't possible to get to satisfactory settings using those other software either. Just that I would try supported avenues first and don't ever mix the two. It's one or the other. If you use them, don't make changes in Wattman too.

Wow! This was a very helpful answer. I will try these things once I'm back home.

I appreciate your time.

JG

You are very welcome!

0 Likes