Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

blackedeyed
Journeyman III

Mouse lag and stuttering on desktop.

Hi everyone,

Suddenly I saw mouse lag on desktop, especially while opening Universal Apps Windows 10 on every driver except 15.30. Tried everything that possible. Even change PSU and SSD, reset and update UEFI. Is there anyone that have same problem here?

GPU: MSI R9 280X 3 GB GAMING - Still On warranty

CPU: INTEL i5 4460 3,2 Ghz

SSD: GoodRam Iridium Pro 240 GB

PSU: Thermaltake SmartSE 530W

RAM: Ballistix 8 GB (2x4) DDR3 1600 Mhz

MB: Gigabyte B85M-D3H

Windows 10 Home 64bit  Version 10.0 Build 16299 Service Pack 0.0

Tags (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Mouse lag and stuttering on desktop.

No one can read this wall of text that you have posted here. If you wish to provide this information, add it to the post as an attachment.

0 Likes
jackalito
Adept II

Hi everyone!!!

Ever since AMD released drivers for the new WDDM 2.2/2.3 for the new Windows 10 CU and FCU respectively, I've been suffering the same issue on my Radeon RX 580.

As the original poster said, it's especially noticeable with UWP apps, including those notifications that come up from the Action Center. I think the one that causes the biggest impact on my system is when I launch the Microsoft Edge browser; the mouse pointer stutters very badly for a few seconds while Edge is being loaded/rendered.

I've been trying to solve this thing for months now (since July 2017), trying fresh installations of Windows 10 along with every new driver that gets released but nothing works except if I use the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, but that's not a solution, of course.

My key system specs are the following:

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero [UEFI BIOS: 3501] (Default settings without any OC made no difference) (AMD Chipset drivers up to date: 17.40 from December '17)

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.8GHz

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14 (Samsung B-die chips)

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB Sapphire Nitro OC+ (Different OC settings made no difference)

Storage-> System: 1x Samsung SSD NVMe PCIe 960 EVO 500GB (I've tried different firmware versions as well as using Microsoft and Samsung drivers; no difference); Data storage: 1x Samsung SSD SATA3 850 EVO 1TB (latest firmware), 1x Toshiba HDD 5TB SATA3

PSU: Corsair RM850 Gold Plus Modular

This is not a problem with my system temperatures either. I've got a Corsair Carbide 750D Airflow Edition with 5x 140mm case fans connected directly to the motherboard to control them through PWM. The CPU has a mild OC of 3.8 GHz with a Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 CPU (140mm) cooler which keeps it under 30ºC at idle and at about 45~60 (depending on the game and the fan profile) while gaming with an appropriate custom fan profile.

My system was already assembled and working nicely with a budget card from another manufacturer. It did not start suffering from this issue until I bought the Radeon RX 580 and updated to the Creators Update/Fall Creators Update.

I really hope 2018 is the year when this problem gets solved.

Cheers!

0 Likes
jackalito
Adept II

The same issue remains with latest drivers 18.1.1.

When are you guys gonna at least acknowledge this problem?

0 Likes
blackedeyed
Journeyman III

Probably never. AMD rather knows about the error, but they are waiting for the end of product support. The error is not even on the list.

0 Likes
jackalito
Adept II

That's what I'm worried the most, the fact that they don't even acknowledge there's a problem that needs to be fixed in the first place.

0 Likes
blackedeyed
Journeyman III

Are you going to add this problem to the list, or we will pretend it is not there?

0 Likes
khenio
Adept I

Exactly. The Same.

Look at those Reddit threads I made:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/7pn91z/windows_10_stuttering_when_opening_apps_is_amd/?utm_sou...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/7pua7c/please_microsoft_its_been_8_months/

It's apparently Microsoft's fault, the only workaround here is to downgrade to Anniversary Update (1607) wich i'm actually using since the Creators Update mess.

But, you know what's crazy ? This also happens in Fedora (Linux)...

I think we're facing the biggest "bug" ever, and big companies are just ignoring it considering how big and complicated this bug is, and this whole thing is making a huge mess at Green side: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1004600/geforce-drivers/all-games-stuttering-with-fps-drops...

But you will eventually want to look at Windows 10 LTSB as Anniversary Update Support is ending soon, LTSB is on 1607 too but has a longer support.

0 Likes
samet
Adept I

I had those stuttering, lag issue. What I did was disabling hpet from within windows in command line while leaving it enabled in bios because I could not reboot if it was disabled in bios. Then I disabled fast boot in control panel, and in power settings, I selected Amd ryzen balanced mode and customised it settings. In the bios I also disabled all cpu features like cool and quiet, cstate control, opcache, mode0, spread spectrum etc..., I just leaved SVM Enabled because I need it for vmware. I also set my cpu speed to 3200 by setting multiplier to 32, instead of using auto. XMP is enabled on profile 2 ( I have a MSI x470 carbon pro ). There is no lags anymore it is super fast. I noticed that in ryzen master, before all those fixes, edc was at 100% in red, now it is at 85%. Everything works normaly.

There is also a bug related to windows 10 not feeing up standby memory, so it causes lags, download a program named EmptyStandbyList. search tutorials on web on how to make it works it is easy, and that way memory will always be free, and the will be no lags.

I also found out that after reenabling fast boot in power settings, lags and stutterings came back. So it seems that in my pc, the reason was fast boot. So personnaly I think it is better to leave it disabled, it benefits are so small, in my opinion.

0 Likes