Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

poqdavid
Adept II

Re: mouse and screen lag with radeon-crimson-17.7.2

Jump to solution

baz4096 Well I have no extra displays connected but I do have an HDMI port and it does support wireless display do I have to entirely disable them even if nothing is connected?

0 Likes
petershaw
Adept I

Jump to solution

I had 18.10.1 installed and i had massive mouse and keyboard stutter. Strange thing is that is cleared after 1-2 reboots, came back on the next day whatever i disabled. Now i deactivated every wattmann monitoring i found, deactivated aida64 and installed 18.10.2 and at the moment no stutter. Lets see how long this will help.

I have 3x 1920/1080 Monitors, i use Eyefinity on certain games with my brand new 580.

0 Likes
m-train
Adept II

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem. Radeon RX580.

I went from an older Nivida GTX600 which worked flawlessly [and actually still does on new games set in lower resolution], to the 580, and now most of the new games have an issue.

Here is the problem I'm having. I install a newer game [so far the newest game is from 2015], and when everything is finished, and I'm ready to play, I can hit a key, lets say I hold down the key to move forward. There is a pause, and the player move forward only a few steps even though I'm still depressing the forward key [the player should move continuously as long as I'm depressing the key if working correctly]. I have to depress the key again to get the player to move, and again there is a lag, then the player will move, and again its only a few steps.

Whenever I hit a key its like the computer has to think about for a second before performing the action. The RX580 should be way more card than is needed for some of these older games, so I'm not understanding the issue. I've tried downloading the newest drivers, going much lower in the game resolution, did a virus/malware scan, and nothing works.

Here is the rest of the specs on my computer [like I said it runs fine when I switch back to the old 460GTX Nivida card.

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Version    6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model    Z97MX-Gaming 5

System Type    x64-based PC

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. F6, 9/18/2015

SMBIOS Version    2.7

Windows Directory    C:\Windows

System Directory    C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale    United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

User Name    Mike-pc\Mike

Time Zone    Central Daylight Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory    16.0 GB

Available Physical Memory    11.4 GB

Total Virtual Memory    26.1 GB

Available Virtual Memory    20.0 GB

Page File Space    10.1 GB

Page File    C:\pagefile.sys

Name    Radeon RX 580 Series

PNP Device ID    PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_67DF&SUBSYS_2378148C&REV_E7\4&1286464&0&0008

Adapter Type    AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x67DF), Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. compatible

Adapter Description    Radeon RX 580 Series

Adapter RAM    (1,048,576) bytes

Driver Version    24.20.11016.4

0 Likes
baz4096
Adept I

Jump to solution

I've just tried 18.10.2 and after a single reboot, seems to have resolved itself. Will obviously be keeping an eye on this.

0 Likes
antonioerre
Adept II

Jump to solution

18.10.2 seems not to be compatible with A8-7410 mobile APU. In the release notes it's just for dedicated graphics, not APUs.

0 Likes
gwindalmir
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

So, I installed the latest 18.11 driver, and the issue is worse compared to 16.x.

This is on Windows 7 64-bit.

16.9.2 is the last driver I tested that actually worked reasonably well, which I guess is no coincidence, as that's around the same driver my 6970 was using, and it was 100% flawless.

However with the RX 480, nothing but issues on any other driver version. One thing to note: I don't use any hardware monitoring utilities, at least daily. If I have an issue I'll load up GPU-Z or something, but I don't leave anything running or on autostart. I don't even use wattman nor know how to find it to turn it off.

There's two issues here: mouse stutters, overall system freezes

Mouse lag can be attributed to running in software rendering mode. For those that don't know what that means, the mouse can be shown on screen in two ways, hardware, and software. Hardware uses the graphics card drivers to render the mouse cursor, and software means the OS does it with bitmap blitting.

Software render is highly dependent on the CPU, so if your CPU is even slightly tasked, you'll notice mouse stuttering (like skipping frames almost). However that in of itself isn't usually an issue, except for being annoying. I determined this to be the case as I use f.lux to darken my screen at night, and I noticed once I installed the RX 480 and installed the updated drivers (even used DDU), the mouse cursor started to be affected by the filter (hardware mouse cursor is unaffected by screen filters/color management). I've had this issue on every single driver version I've used for my RX 480. My 6970 was stuck at 16.2.1 (Beta), so I suspect the hardware mouse broke after that.

There is a second issue, which I see regularly, but not every single time, is complete freezes.

This is where not only the mouse stops, but keyboard input is lagged, and screen updates stop (game freeze, or videos stop). This happens as a one second freeze every two seconds. It's the worst, and makes the entire system unusable. It happens regardless of what's running, and persists across a reboot.

However I don't know what triggers it. For note, I have disabled f.lux when I have this issue, and it doesn't resolve it.

This is what causes me to go back to 16.9. Every single version I've tried of 17.x and 18.x has this lag/freeze issue. Currently running 18.11.1, however I'll be downgrading again.

I tried a couple versions listed in here before, to no avail, I'll try a couple more.

Versions I've tried, all with freezing issues (used DDU in between each test):

Versions that worked reasonably well (just mouse issues/browser hiccups):

0 Likes
aeratiel
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Can confirm same problem. If i start moving mouse whole stream freezes for a second, totally unplayable. Latest driver that don't have that problem is 18.5.1. AMD plz fix this problem, i can't stream latest assassin's creed, coz game poorly optimized on 18.5.1 and on later drivers it's unplayable coz of stream freezes.

0 Likes
doncornelius01
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

In case anyone is having a similar pausing problem...
I've been having the pausing problem for many months, I believe since the Crimson release. Videos, games, mouse and text input would just suddenly pause for no obvious reason. It drove me so crazy, I upgraded from my R390 to a Vega 64 a few days ago to try and resolve it. The upgrade didn't fix a thing. It was especially frustrating because the issue appeared to disappear after a reboot, but then would reappear over time.

I finally got a clue tonight... I could reliably reproduce the pausing issue whenever my Windows 10 would switch desktop backgrounds . If I right-clicked on the desktop and selected "Next desktop background", the pause would reoccur within one second. When I looked at my settings, I had the wallpaper automatically switching every minute. In the Process tab of Task Manager, I would see the System process (ntoskrnl.exe) fire up, and the GPU column would say GPU 0 - Copy. The behavior I observed in Task Manager always shows up whenever I see a pause.

My immediate solution is setting the desktop background to switch once a day. I'm still seeing the GPU 0 - Copy show up occasionally so there is more to track down, but I have a bit of relief now.

Current driver version is 19.1.1. I have a Vega 64 and two monitors, one connected via DisplayPort, the other via HDMI. The DisplayPort monitor has FreeSync enabled and currently set to 144Hz refresh. The HDMI monitor is set to 59Hz refresh rate.

0 Likes
m-train
Adept II

Jump to solution

Thanks. I just flat out gave up on Win10, and am now using Win7 Pro.

Since I don't use my computer for business [just gaming, and internet} I'm happy staying with Win7.

In having said that, my problem was solved by accident. After trying every single, known, cure for the lag during games, I took my computer outside to clean it.

So, after cleaning the computer I plugged all of my external devices back in the computer. One of them was my external ssd drive. I noticed I kept getting a message "this device can perform faster" on my external ssd.

I ignored it as I was still trying to figure out the gaming lag issue that had infected even my old video games .

Well, I forgot to change the ssd to another usb port, and went to one of my old games, and found the lag was gone. Next, I tried one of my newer games [GTA5} which required a lot of system resources, and guess what.................the lag was GONE!

So apparently, having the external ssd drive plugged into a normal usb port made the issue go away. Seem like it would have been the other way around, but I've tried switching the usb ports, and the lag comes back.

Thanks again for giving you solution, as sadly, one day I might be forced to use Win 10.

Sent with (https://protonmail.com) Secure Email.

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

0 Likes