cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zaku2142
Adept I

Momentary Screen Blink - Windows Blacked Out

(I am currently trying a rollback of my only latest driver to see if this is the issue, but even before I did a clean install of the latest drivers, they were up-to-date, along with all other things being updated to the latest)

1) My Issue:

At random times my screen blinks black for an instant and then returns to normal, but any window sitting open, not minimized, goes all black. The windows stay blacked out unless; I minimize the window(s), drag it below the task bar or drag my mouse over things I am able to click/select. The amount of programs/applications currently on this PC are minimal as I have not had it long, since March 3, 2021, it is bare-bones.

1a) Screenshots:

Us2a2.pngUs2a1.pngUs2a.png

2)Desktop Build:

- Acer Predator XB323U Gxbmiiphzx 32" WQHD 270Hz HDMI DP FreeSync/ G-Sync Compatible HDR IPS LED Gaming Monitor
- x570 TUF Gaming Plus (wifi) AMD ATX MOBO
- Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe card - OS drive
- AMD Rayzen 7 5800x
- Windows 10 Professional 64bit OS
- Coolmaster CPU AllInOne 3-fan cooler
- ASUS AMD RX 6700 XT TUF Gaming Factory OC
- Corsair Vengeance 32gb 3200hz RAM
- Seasonic USA FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold power supply
- (6) RGB Notos O 120 PWM fans
- 4TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD
- 4TB Samsung 870 QVO SSD

0 Likes
1 Solution
zaku2142
Adept I

I forgot to post, but I swapped out the GPU with a replacement model of the same type as I had an extra warranty on it and the issue disappeared.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
koszb101
Journeyman III

Sounds like a failing gpu memory or a faulty cpu throwing 100s of fixable hardware errors. Check Event Viewer in control panel in administrative tools and see if there are logs corresponding to the time of the black out. I'd go 1 min before and after the error appears and sort threw the logs. It should be as simple as looking for WHEA errors, error, and critical errors.

0 Likes

From what the event viewer says, there was an APPCRASH and gave me three error messages:

(1)

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x6075cb03
Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x6075cb03
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000002bf198
Faulting process id: 0x4060
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73a4df16edb21

(2)

Faulting application name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x6075cb03
Faulting module name: libGLESv2.dll, version: 5.14.1.0, time stamp: 0x5e6f63a3
Fault offset: 0x0000000000189f3e
Faulting process id: 0x3670
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7389c7dbf4339

(3)

Faulting module name: Radeonsoftware.exe, version: 10.1.2.1862, time stamp: 0x6075cb03
Fault offset: 0x00000000002bf198
Faulting process id: 0x4aa8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d73a4e1d8cc144

I am going to try and recreate the problem again after another install and check to see if the errors are the same.

0 Likes

If you can recreate the error, try and uninstall/downgraded the software for the time being and see if it fixes the issue. From what these error messages are saying this looks software based in problems. These crashes are hard on your components. They all have Radeonsoftware in common. Then if you can still make the error try and find put what is causing that. It's a lot like stacking domino's, you just gotta find the 1st one that falls. 

0 Likes

Sadly, it still continues and I am unable to figure out what it is, The many things I have done so far are below...

* AS OF 5/1/21, the screen now goes pitch black and the toolbar is solid grey with just the mouse showing.
** NOTHING SHOWS UP IN EVENT VIEWER FOR ME TO TRY AND DIAGNOSE! **

1) I have tried THREE fresh installs of GPU drivers = no effect

2) I have tried rolling back drivers = no effect

3) I have tried restarting = no effect

4) I have tried a complete shutdown before restarting = no effect

5) I have turned off quick start in the power settings = no effect

6) I have tried the RUN CMD "sfc /scannow" as administrator, as it wouldnt run without it = no effect (it did find corrupted files and fixed them)
6a) second scan as of 5/3/21-
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Beginning system scan. This process will take some time.
Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

7) I have tried screen refresh windows+CTRL+SHIFT+B = no effect

Eight) I have tried force-closing explorer.exe and/or restarting it = no effect

9) I have tried changing the background = no effect

10) I have tried changing the monitor connection to another DP slot = no effect

my Desktop with new evolved problemmy Desktop with new evolved problemIssue persists for entire Desktop/TaskbarIssue persists for entire Desktop/Taskbar

0 Likes

Did you try deleting "Radeonsoftware.exe" it may have some incompatibility issue with a software or hardware drivers, also if you can see the toolbar header, try clicking abd dragging it. That is a low level function of windows just above system integrity files. (Lower level means it's more important as in foundation). If it does not move like dragging the window to a new space than higher level U.I. files of windows may be corrupted like important temporary files for explorer.exe but the problem is there are a few hundred location of such files so a reinstall of windows and not installing the Radeonsoftware.exe. my best guess is you have artifacting in your graphics card if reinstalling windows does not fix it. You should be able to keep all your programs and files too.

0 Likes

I've been getting a pretty similar issue. Quickly scanning the eveny log I've had around 90 events in the past two weeks with this (or similar);

Faulting module name: Qt5WebEngineCore.dll, version: 5.14.1.0, time stamp: 0x5e706314
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x000000000016f19d
Faulting process ID: 0x12bc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d7418d79c8f84b
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Radeonsoftware.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\Qt5WebEngineCore.dll
Report ID: 86daaf28-af64-4b1c-b6db-7f0f6ad209a3
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

It only started happening after updating my drivers. I then got a new driver through and thought "excellent, this will fix it" but it didn't.

I'm not really sure on the process to proper wipe drivers out but I'm just using add/remove programs and removing AMD Software which says it removes my graphics card drivers.

I noticed it happens more when watching things on YouTube but hasn't done it yet while gaming. A few people had similar issues on Reddit with my card (RX 580).

0 Likes

That's a great point, I figured the Radeonsoftware was the problem but unsure of to as how. This confirms this suspicion. Best guess is the newer drivers are malfunctioning with the dwm.exe (desktop windows manager) because that is responsible for showing the actual window, and explorer.exe is only tge window frame, desktop icons, and Taskbar. Lastly it's AMD be suspicious of the updates as they're devs are worked hard and often rushed.

0 Likes

I am having this same problem with a 6600 G card that I bought in a pre-configured package.  Have not been able to find a new driver fix.  Getting very frustrated with this AMD card.  I might just pack up the whole computer and give it back to Costco.

0 Likes
kokbira
Journeyman III

Same issue with AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G with Radeon Graphics

0 Likes
zaku2142
Adept I

I forgot to post, but I swapped out the GPU with a replacement model of the same type as I had an extra warranty on it and the issue disappeared.

0 Likes

Yes, I am having the same experience.  I got ahold of a Gigabyte 6650xt and swapped it in for the MSI 6600.  Problem solved. 

I have shipped the 6600 card to MSI under an RMA. Will see what happens after two week turnaround.

0 Likes