Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dandreye
Adept I

Mobility Radeon 7500 driver and software (CCC) for Windows 7

Jump to solution

Hi All,

Could anyone please advise driver and software (Catalyst Control Center) package for an IBM ThinkPad T42 laptop with ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics (hardware ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57&SUBSYS_05301014) running 32-bit Windows 7? The only one available at Lenovo's support site is built for Windows 2000/XP and although it can still be installed in Windows 7 in compatibility mode, it causes regular laptop crashes. A well-known safe workaround is to use "ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 (Microsoft Corporation - XDDM)" driver ati2mtag_M9 available in Vista/Win7 driver pack 6.14.10.6606 dated 15/08/2006, which unfortunately has no Catalyst Control Center software included (just drivers alone):

https://s28.postimg.org/o63h5kagt/Device_Driver_Details.png

If no Win7 driver and software package has ever been built for ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics, is there perhaps a CCC version for Win7 for other ATI Mobility graphics adapters that would let me merge above mentioned driver into it somehow? I really need CCC on this platform.

Many thanks in anticipation!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
redfury
Big Boss

Re: Mobility Radeon 7500 driver and software (CCC) for Windows 7

Jump to solution

Repeat the cleaning procedure. You need get Standard VGA Adapter in device manager.

This driver should contain ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 inf

Or try this Lenovo driver

I don't recommend you to mess up with drivers modification.

This time you must succeed

View solution in original post

21 Replies
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

You mean like this? Download Drivers

The last/latest driver for your laptop > Legacy

0 Kudos
dandreye
Adept I

Jump to solution

kingfish:

Nope, mine's non-HD one for sure and it only supports DirectX 6 (the laptop is about 12 years old by now):

ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 - ThinkWiki

0 Kudos
dandreye
Adept I

Jump to solution

Just tried installing ATI Mobility RADEON 7500 driver version 8.723.0.0000 dated 04/06/2010. Installation succeeded but I'm now getting a "Device cannot start" error message:

https://s27.postimg.org/5fu7ukcub/Cannot_start.png

Also in a minute or two I get "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D".

Could anyone please confirm which Windows version(s) this driver is for and if there's a way to make it work under W7, e.g. by means of turning those incompatible features off somehow? This is the most recent driver I've come across so far, and since ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 is listed among the drivers in the CX_98765.inf file that comes with this driver pack I'd expect my adapter to be fully supported:

"ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500" = ati2mtag_M7, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4C57

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program

This is the last driver for your card (for WinXP 32bit)

1.Try to install this driver in automatic mode.

2.If you still have installation errors or exclamation mark in device manager ,then boot in safe mode and install driver manually

Device manager>update driver>manual update>search on this computer and select folder with unpacked 6.11 driver.

0 Kudos
dandreye
Adept I

Jump to solution

redfury:

Thanks for your reply - do I proceed as you instructed even though my model isn't mentioned in Release Notes for this driver?

AMD Desktop product family support

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following AMD desktop products:

• Radeon® X1950 series
  • Radeon® X1900 series
  • Radeon® X1800 series
  • Radeon® X1600 series
  • Radeon® X1300 series
  • Radeon® X850 series
  • Radeon® X800 series
  • Radeon® X700 series
  • Radeon® X600 series
  • Radeon® X550 series
  • Radeon® X300 series
  • Radeon® 9800 series
  • Radeon® 9700 series
  • Radeon® 9600 series
  • Radeon® 9500 series

Also as it seems to target desktop models do I have to convert unpacked driver to Mobility version prior to the installation? (I have a tool called something like DH Mobility Modder that should be able to do it)

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

It is mistake on AMD site. I think, it is just not full list.

Just try to install it. All files will be extracted automatically (you can choose directory)

0 Kudos
dandreye
Adept I

Jump to solution

OK, plenty of results obtained:

1) So I used DDU in safe mode to clean it all up from any ATI leftovers to start with.

2) Until I set compatibility mode WXPSP3 for file Setup.exe upon unpacking the archive, automatic installation would abort this way:

https://s24.postimg.org/yebi781it/Unless_Running_In_WXPSP3compatibility.png

3) Once I did the above, automatic installation aborted this way (one error message displayed after another):

https://s30.postimg.org/3v4rdbzzl/1_No_INF.png

https://s28.postimg.org/h3re5p5kt/2_Unable.png

4) During manual installation attempt I had nothing but to select RADEON 7500 Family from the list of those offered as my model wasn't there. I checked all the INF files I could find and there's not a single entry for any mobility models whatsoever. Once the installation completed and the laptop rebooted I got black screen (it was clearly lit yet black: nothing at all was displayed). I accessed it remotely using TeamViewer and tried uninstalling the driver, which didn't work: RADEON 7500 Family stayed there no matter what (and still black screen upon reboot). Had to use DDU in safe mode again: that helped roll the driver back to Standard VGA Adapter.

5) Next I still decided to try modifying the unpacked archive (before installing it) with the above mentioned tool, which I successfully used on my other laptop with X300 graphics previously. Lots of mobility model entries including mine got added at least into one of the INF files as a result. This time automatic installation competed successfully and driver version 8.252.0.0 dated 3rd May 2006 got installed:

https://s29.postimg.org/pe3fat5yf/Driver_Details.png

No crash in ati3duag.dll so far even when I launch Lenovo System Update, which would always trigger such a crash with other W2k/WXP drivers straight away for some reason (e.g. with driver version 6.14.10.6547 dated 6th February 2007 from Lenovo package 1rd637ww.exe). I even got CCC installed although it seems to be lacking all graphics related functionality in that blue bar on the left hand side or perhaps elsewhere leaving only main menu w/o any graphics settings usable:

https://s30.postimg.org/5zyyhbagx/CCC.png

Is there a way to get all that supposedly missing CCC functionality back somehow?

Also I don't understand how the driver from this archive can possibly get installed if there's no ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 entry anywhere in the INF files that come with it and no Hardware IDs matching this model in any existing desktop entry...

0 Kudos
redfury
Big Boss

Jump to solution

Repeat the cleaning procedure. You need get Standard VGA Adapter in device manager.

This driver should contain ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 inf

Or try this Lenovo driver

I don't recommend you to mess up with drivers modification.

This time you must succeed

View solution in original post

dandreye
Adept I

Jump to solution

The ati_mobility_10_2_8.593.100_x32x64_winxp.rar one did the job - thank you so much!! For the first time ever on this platform I'm seeing a proper 7500 driver working without any crashes and fully functional ATI CCC software incl all graphics settings (except 3D section, probably since 7500 only supports DirectX/Direct3D version 6):

https://s27.postimg.org/9o14pky6r/About.png

https://s30.postimg.org/saly1r1pd/CCC.png

https://s28.postimg.org/ym85eyzml/Driver_Details.png

Before I go into further details may I ask the link to the web page you obtained that torrent from, if applicable? I'd like to document it properly for myself first, and then share it with my colleagues at a ThinkPad forum (assuming you don't mind) as those who opted for WXP drivers I've seen so far must still be having crashes.

So I now have driver version 8.593.100.0 dated 10th February 2010 and ATI CCC version 10.2 from package ati_mobility_10_2_8.593.100_x32x64_winxp.rar. Interestingly both version and date match those of the X300 driver from "mobility modded" desktop driver/software package 10-2-legacy-vista32-64-dd-ccc.exe that has been working well on my T43 (another laptop). I already tried installing the latter package on my T42 with 7500 in question before. Its installation succeeded back then but IIRC neither ATI CCC application installed could run: they just won't launch w/o any errors, which I attributed to the lack of high enough DirectX/Direct3D version support by my model. Your XP driver clearly overcame this issue while delivering the same driver and ATI CCC versions, which I'm especially happy with 'cos it's much more recent than driver version 8.252.0.0 dated 3rd May 2006 you shared earlier and official driver version 6.14.10.6547 dated 6th February 2007 from Lenovo package 1rd637ww.exe. Btw I tried 1rd637ww.exe before as well and was getting crashes in ati3duag.dll as already mentioned in one of my posts above. Replacing that particular dll (~5MB IIRC) with one of its earlier (or perhaps later) versions stopped the crashes but that package is just a driver: no ATI CCC comes with it.

P.S. The only issue I've noticed so far as I keep testing this new driver is the following error when I enable a 3D screen saver: "The screen saver can't run because it requires a newer video card or one that's compatible with Direct3D". It's not a concern at all: I just disabled it back, relying on idle timeout adjusted downwards.