Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Drivers & Software

AMDHelpme1
Adept I

Missing driver during new windows install

Hello all !

I recently bought a new gaming PC on the AMD platform.

When trying to install windows I get the ‘media driver missing’ error which prevents installation from proceeding.

intel has driver listed on their website, AMD only shows a .exe which can’t be used at that stage of windows installation.

several other people have reported this issue but I haven’t been able to find a fix…

I’ve tried various other windows ISOs, several USB drives, several usb ports.

Ubuntu installs without issue…

1 Solution
AMDHelpme1
Adept I

Hello, I’ll just leave my solution here…

nothing I could find online worked, so I think self-help was out of the question for me.

if you’re in my situation I recommend spending 20$ and buying a windows image on USB drive off Amazon. They come with a bunch of utility tools and specifically advertise the usb driver is included. 
 I’m happy that worked, though disappointed that’s the only way out when dealing with standard equipment from gigabyte/AMD/Microsoft… 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies

Try asking at https://www.elevenforum.com/ someone there should be able to help.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
AMDHelpme1
Adept I

Hello, I’ll just leave my solution here…

nothing I could find online worked, so I think self-help was out of the question for me.

if you’re in my situation I recommend spending 20$ and buying a windows image on USB drive off Amazon. They come with a bunch of utility tools and specifically advertise the usb driver is included. 
 I’m happy that worked, though disappointed that’s the only way out when dealing with standard equipment from gigabyte/AMD/Microsoft… 

0 Likes

Is it possible for you share the exact Amazon link, please? I'm kind of desperate at the moment. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
titaniumspork
Journeyman III

Is there another solution to this problem other than purchasing an image of Windows online? Appreciate the solution but AMD is there no way to unpack a universal gpu driver and just let us download it to get us basically started then install the amd gpu driver suite after install?

The problem is that the .exe file that installs the driver is detected as a driver package and you have no option to run it at this stage of the setup. If you point the installer to the amd downloaded driver installation exe file it says no drivers were detected and you cant proceed with windows operating system installation.

Any constructive steps are appreciated. I'm willing to do the footwork.

MSI B450 Carbon Max Wifi Motherboard

32GB DDR4 3200 Memory

Ryzen 5 2600

Sapphire RX-570 8GB GPU

Windows 10-11 Media Installer USB drive

PS - All of this hardware worked just fine yesterday using Fedora Workstation for almost a year with no hiccups. I replaced the nvme drive with a larger model, booted from a windows media creation tool usb and got the error :  ‘media driver missing’ error which prevents installation from proceeding.

0 Likes

I just installed Windows from a USB on the 3rd without issue. Did you use the Windows Media Creation Tool to make the bootable USB?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Suggest you try asking on https://www.elevenforum.com/

Never needed a media driver for clean Win.10 install, although had an issue once choosing for this pc with mct. Always used for other choice since.

Although could be usb 3 stick/format, was generally recommended to use usb2.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes