cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ken429
Adept II

Mining ETH with 5600 XT GPU's

I have several mining systems using Nvidia GPU's and AMD GPU's.  The miners with Nvidia cards have been running for months with no crashes or any other issues.  For some reason I cannot find the right combination of software to get the system with the AMD 5600 XT's stable.  The system hangs every 12-24 hours and has to be shut down and rebooted.  I am using an ASRock H110 Pro MB, EVGA 1000W G+ P/S, 4-5600 XT GPU's, Windows 10 with all the latest fixes and **bleep** updates and AMD Software Version 20.11.2.  I have the 5600 XT's running at the stock settings (Core Clock 1780, Memory Clock 1750).  I am using MSI's Afterburner (Ver. 4.62) to set the Voltage @90% of maximum or -10%.

The system was running Okay until I updated Windows with the latest **bleep** update and then I started getting  the "AMDRSServ.exe - System Error" popup.  It's all been down hill since.  I did solve the AMDRSServ error with the AMD Software update but now I'm back to the unexplained 12-24 hour crashes.  The system runs great until it hangs!  The next time the system hangs I'll increase the voltage to 100% and see what that does other than make the system more expensive to run as a 24-7 miner.  I've gone from voltage settings of 70% to 80% and currently @90%.  

Appreciate help on solving this issue.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Not 5600's - some REALLY temperamental RX580's 8GB - With Windows Telemetry, Defender and update stripped using (I think it was) Windows10Debloater from github from a fresh install of W10 latest updates applied (I use Pro due to the license I registered initially with the MB) every time you make a driver / OS change be religious with the restore points.

I use config.txt for PM, you amend it then hit c on the console to bring in the new voltages etc. (though some changes demand a restart). 

Otherwise, try using OverdriveNTTool - You could try this with TeamRedMiner - some serious work gone into tuning for the Vega's and 5x00's 

I reckon minty fresh OS stripped as above, driver trick and give em a go?

Also try lowering your core speed / voltage - my 580's run 1150 - 1180 at 840 up to 890 depending on just how crud the ASIC - and some are in the bottom 10% of quality   No silicon lottery win hence they can be flaky. Memory 2050 @ 900 (Samsung - all). Never had 5600's but I would be guessing you could do much better - Core 1150 @ 800mv and full rated memory at 900mv

p.s. We are likely to get lynched on this forum for mining talk

“It is impossible to genuinely elevate yourself by pushing another person lower”

View solution in original post

0 Likes

For what it's worth, I just reinstalled a fresh copy of the latest Version of Win 10 Pro 21H2, the latest AMD Software 21.11.3 and the latest version of Phoenix Miner 5.8c on my H110 Pro/G4400 miner with four 5600XT GPU's.  Keeping with the "advances" in the AMD Software I was not disappointed with the updates.  With each new version of AMD's Software the system crashed more frequently - the latest iteration would not run for more than an hour or two before crashing.

It would appear that AMD has acknowledged there is a problem with the AMD Software and now installs only the drivers if you cancel the AMD Software install after the download file has been unzipped.  Finally, the system has been mining for over 24 hours and no crashes!  

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
EeTheG
Adept I

What Mining S/W?

Have you tried installing then removing the Radeon S/W then just pointed the card to the C:\AMD\{release}\Packages\Drivers for the driver install?

Try using either PhoenixMiner with its' built in voltage control etc. or OverdriveNTool to do the clocking (always from a trusted source like bitcointalk!!)

PhoenixMiner works for me with v-low .65% fee!

“It is impossible to genuinely elevate yourself by pushing another person lower”
0 Likes

EeTheG,

Are you using the RD 5600 XT card(s) for mining?

Yeah, I guess the Miner Software is important!!  I'm using Phoenix Miner Ver. 5.5c on all my systems.  I had the same problem with the AMD cards with Ver. 5.4c.

I've tried the drivers only trick and it had no effect - system still hung after a day or so.

I'll try using Phoenix Miner to control the voltage and get MSI's Afterburner out of the mix.  I currently use the Phoenix Miner bat file to set the fan speed.

It's almost like there is some file, que or log or something that fills up after a day or so and hangs Windows.  Like I said above, I've had Nvidia based miners running all the same software (Except the AMD Drivers!) 24/7 for months with no problems.

Any other suggestions out there that might address this issue would be helpful.

0 Likes

Not 5600's - some REALLY temperamental RX580's 8GB - With Windows Telemetry, Defender and update stripped using (I think it was) Windows10Debloater from github from a fresh install of W10 latest updates applied (I use Pro due to the license I registered initially with the MB) every time you make a driver / OS change be religious with the restore points.

I use config.txt for PM, you amend it then hit c on the console to bring in the new voltages etc. (though some changes demand a restart). 

Otherwise, try using OverdriveNTTool - You could try this with TeamRedMiner - some serious work gone into tuning for the Vega's and 5x00's 

I reckon minty fresh OS stripped as above, driver trick and give em a go?

Also try lowering your core speed / voltage - my 580's run 1150 - 1180 at 840 up to 890 depending on just how crud the ASIC - and some are in the bottom 10% of quality   No silicon lottery win hence they can be flaky. Memory 2050 @ 900 (Samsung - all). Never had 5600's but I would be guessing you could do much better - Core 1150 @ 800mv and full rated memory at 900mv

p.s. We are likely to get lynched on this forum for mining talk

0 Likes

For what it's worth, I just reinstalled a fresh copy of the latest Version of Win 10 Pro 21H2, the latest AMD Software 21.11.3 and the latest version of Phoenix Miner 5.8c on my H110 Pro/G4400 miner with four 5600XT GPU's.  Keeping with the "advances" in the AMD Software I was not disappointed with the updates.  With each new version of AMD's Software the system crashed more frequently - the latest iteration would not run for more than an hour or two before crashing.

It would appear that AMD has acknowledged there is a problem with the AMD Software and now installs only the drivers if you cancel the AMD Software install after the download file has been unzipped.  Finally, the system has been mining for over 24 hours and no crashes!  

0 Likes

I spoke too soon.  The 5600XT Mining System crashed after 30+ Hours.  I then increased the Swapfile size from System Managed (~2900MB) to 30000-60000MB and restarted the system.  The System has been running for over 5 days or 120+hours without a crash.

Anybody got a thought on what the #$^^ is going on with the 5600XT Driver?

0 Likes

(some little bell rang) I am fairly sure Phoenix Miner under Windows (i.e. this is a WinFudge, not a Phoenix problem) requires you to have enough of a swap file to cover all your cards' memory usage. I seem to remember setting mine to a fixed 24GB. I can no longer check though - due to the huge uptick in electricity costs, my rig has been sold.

Look at the total GPU memory in use, add a good-sized margin for future growth and OS use, then set min/max size to that figure.

::Edit absolving Phoenix Miner of blame...

0 Likes

I just updated PhoenixMiner to 5.9d.  It appears that they fixed a problem with 5X00 GPU's.   So far my 5600XT miner has been running with no issues.  Sorry AMD, for blaming drivers on my ongoing issues!  Hopefully, this post will not cause the system to start failing again!!

0 Likes