cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Microsoft forcing updates again. Article on how to stop it.

Microsoft forcing buggy unproven and unsafe updates for testing in the field on the "herd", without user consent again.

This article offers some ways to stop it.

https://www.windowslatest.com/2020/06/29/windows-10-registry-trick-to-block-feature-updates/

0 Likes
7 Replies

Wait a minute that can't be possible? Another issue?  @kingfish told me a while back that Microsoft finally fixed everything. Even had a nifty picture as proof. LOL

The joke is that they actually made it harder and more confusing to defer updates. 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

DDU settings turn off Windows driver updates with a single click. The article is not needed anyway.
EDIT: I guess I got it wrong. The article tells about other things. Anyway ... It was unnecessary. Windows does not install silly things by itself, without forcing it for me... They've turned off message deletion. I could not delete this.

0 Likes

RE: DDU settings turn off Windows driver updates with a single click.

No. It stops them for the subsequent driver install in Normal Mode.
It conflicts with Factory Resest on Adrenalin 2020 installer.
Last time I looked. DDU warns you use it at your own risk.

Microsoft updates have consistently changed privacy and group policy / driver update settings
and they never tell you.
They consistently make it harder to defer / avoid these untested updates.
You no longer own your own PC, OS or data.

Just like your body in real life.

caleb_cruze
Adept II

You can try this as well:

1. Stop The Windows Update Service
  2. Open the Run command (Win + R), in it type: services. msc and press enter.
  3. From the Services list which appears find the Windows Update service and open it.
  4. In 'Startup Type' (under the 'General' tab) change it to 'Disabled'
  5. Restart.

Regards,
Caleb

0 Likes

I just went through some issues with this.  MS had a NVIDIA driver on the optional list for about 3 weeks to a month.  I knew I didn't want the driver so I never thought about it again.  Yesterday  morning my screen flickered, I checked Event Viewer, the driver was installed somehow. 

There's a option to temporarily block a driver update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3183922/how-to-temporarily-prevent-a-windows-update-from-re...

I tried it, waiting to see how long that lasts.

0 Likes