cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HHH03
Adept III

Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome video playback flashing Windows 11 22H2

I have a Radeon Pro W5500, and recent builds of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge are suffering video flashing during browsing thumbnail views of videos. The Playback of the Video is normally okay. I found by disabling hardware acceleration, the problem stops. Another work around is by changing the "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" from default to "D3D9" and these problems stop with hardware acceleration enabled. Both browsers use using D3D11 by default... it seems current AMD drivers aren't working correctly with D3D11... especially with my video card.

Edit… by changing the default setting from default to D3D9 also disables WebGL2. Disabling hardware acceleration seems to be the best solution at this time.

0 Likes
2 Solutions

Just for fun, I tried Mozilla Firefox and it works perfectly with everything enabled. It's obvious to me that something is broken in Chromium/Edge causing the flickering.

View solution in original post

Looks like the flickering video will be fixed in a future update for Edge/Chrome. I tried Edge Version 110.0.1529.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) and flickering is gone. It was present in the 109 build yesterday. The same applies to Chrome Canary builds... 110 or higher the flickering is fixed.

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Leo_9804
Journeyman III

Try to turn off the hardware acceleration in your browser, if it's working, let me know. Have a good day!

0 Likes

That does help a lot, but it's not a true 100% fix and my machine generated a "Green Screen of Death" (not the very first-time using Windows 11 22H2) last night using the W5500 during my A/B testing. So far... switching to my Nvidia Quadro M4000 is the solution, and I can run hardware acceleration turned on. I'm hoping for a driver fix as I prefer using the Radeon Pro W5500... the problem popped up sometime in August and it seems to be Chrome/Edge specific error. The green screens always seemed to be caused by browser use.

Event manager error:

0x80070005: Cannot create the process for package AdvancedMicroDevicesInc-RSXCM_22.10.0.0_x64__fhmx3h6dzfmvj because an error was encountered while configuring runtime. [LaunchProcess]

0 Likes
Leo_9804
Journeyman III

I've tried it recently, but it seems that other tabs scrolling animation were not as smooth as usual. I'm using the MSI Modern 15 - ver R5-5500u. This's the first time I've used the AMD hardware but quite disappointed.

0 Likes

Drivers are the culprit of most hardware issues. I can't believe how much difference there is using the Nvidia card vs the AMD. Everything is crisp and stable looking, no flickering. My computer is still under warrantee, I'm going to call Lenovo and request a different Video card. I didn't pick my card as Nvidia cards weren't available when they sent me this replacement computer... I have had two replacements so far for another issue that wasn't hardware related... as it too was a and still is a defective Realtek driver.

0 Likes

Nvidia always seems much more stable than the AMD, i'm using the GTX1060 for my pc, it's still be wonderful, no error, no issue, absolutely perfect.

0 Likes

I found a solution... It's from a Nvidia support page. It's a registry change that actually fixes the problem with all flickering. It really does work.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/440865/mpo-multiplane-overlay-is-c...

I used the .reg file and it took a while for things to normalize by logging in and out, but it did, and everything works beautifully now.

could you show me

0 Likes

There’s a lot going on with this MPO problem… it’s possible that Chrome/Edge doesn’t support it at this time. Windows 11 22H2 runs a lot better with MPO enabled and I have encountered black screens with MPO disabled. My Nvidia card, M4000 is an older card and it doesn’t support MPO… probably why it runs without much fuss. Chrome will run trouble free with ANGLE graphics backend set to OpenGL… Edge won’t and turning off hardware acceleration stops most of the problem… there still remains a slight flickering in the white background when a video is loading up. The flickering seems to be the transparent shading videos often have and placing the mouse pointer on the shading makes it much worse.
Disabling hardware acceleration seems to be the only workaround right now without causing other problems that disabling MPO can cause.

0 Likes

keep waiting for the next driver, also the next windows version, gosshh

0 Likes

Just for fun, I tried Mozilla Firefox and it works perfectly with everything enabled. It's obvious to me that something is broken in Chromium/Edge causing the flickering.

Looks like the flickering video will be fixed in a future update for Edge/Chrome. I tried Edge Version 110.0.1529.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit) and flickering is gone. It was present in the 109 build yesterday. The same applies to Chrome Canary builds... 110 or higher the flickering is fixed.

Canary didn't fix it for me, still had flickering there. I had to disable MPO with a registry entry to get it to stop.

0 Likes

Both current versions of Edge/Chrome (109.0.*) appear to be working correctly.  I'm not sure if it was a Windows update or Edge/Chrome itself.  My Radeon Pro W5500 is performing perfectly now without any video flickering with HTML5 video playback.  

Just for information... I tried Google Chrome Canary channel version... the flickering isn't present with hardware acceleration enabled. I guess we wait for Edge/Chrome to be updated.

Lufy
Adept II

You can fix some issues by updating to dev build of edge as well even if you do not use it some apps use webviews2 which is basically just chromium, no need to disable MPO unless you have really bad case of blackscreens and other issues.

also recommend disabling just hardware acceleration every app even if no issues it can still cause gpu driver crashes.

0 Likes