cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

melber
Journeyman III

Microcode Update E1-1200

I am using a PC with the AMD E1-1200 processor.

Is this processor susceptible to the Spectre V2 vulnerability?

There are no microcode updates available from the manufacturer of the PC none are available from AMD.

Now I do not know if I can use the PC or do I need to dispose of it. What should I do to avoid the problem?

0 Likes
10 Replies

Honestly even unpatched IMHO you will likely never have any issue from this if you are just a single end user. I do however always recommend to use any available security patch.

If you are on Windows 7 or Windows 10 and are fully up to date on updates then your system is fully patched. If your processor needs it then don't worry it is patched.

I don't know what you or on since you gave no hardware or software information.

The following page contains all official information on this from AMD:

AMD Processor Security | AMD

0 Likes

I posted a small program that checks whether your CPU is vulnerable to the Spectre or Meltdown virus. here is info on the program if interested. : GRC Inspectre program advises if your computer is Meltdown/Spectre protected 

You can download the program and see if your E1-1200 is susceptible to the Spectre virus. IF it is and your Motherboard is considered to be obsolete or "End of Line" and not supported with BIOS updates than you are out of luck if your CPU has the Spectre flaw.

But I wouldn't be concerned about someone using the flaw to take a hold of your computer. It is rather complicated to do. As far as I have read, there have been no cases of someone taking advantage of the Spectre Virus flaw to compromise a computer yet.

Just to be on the safe side, you can encrypt your hard drive information either using Windows Bitlocker or 3rd party encryption software like Truecrypt.

I have an Asus AM3+ Motherboard that is considered to be "End of Line" and Asus Support told me there will be no more BIOS Updates, so my FX 8350 will vulnerable to the Spectre Virus flaw.

These viruses seem to effect Win10 and/or Intel processors. You have not told us which OS you have. Your processor does not support Win10...and the available drivers for it are legacy. Meaning no more updates.

I say keep on using it and don't worry about Specter.

E1-1200 with Radeon™ HD 7310 Drivers & Support | AMD

I am also using E1-1200... on a HP laptop with Windows 8.1

Didn‘t know it gets no Spectre update.

Do I need to dispose of my PC now??

0 Likes

Do you have Windows 10 or a Intel processor?

0 Likes

he said he is using an E1-1200... on a HP laptop with Windows 8.1. The E1-1200 is an AMD APU.

0 Likes

"I am also using E1-1200... on a HP laptop with Windows 8.1

Didn‘t know it gets no Spectre update.

Do I need to dispose of my PC now??"

I know that....I was reminding him of what I posted on the previous post.

Thanks I wanted to recommend that app myself and couldn't remember the name and google wan't helping! I have it at home but not bookmarked here at work. Awesome that you chimed in. I agree with your suggestions and opinion on this. The idea of encryption if you are that worried is a good one. I have many older, compromised machines at home, and personally not worried in the least about it at this point. When I start hearing of any real life attacks in any noticeable numbers, then I will retire those computers.

The only time I would be worried is if I had some TOP SECRET info that is worth millions that a hacker would be tempted to break into my computer to steal it.

Otherwise, They will be scrapping the bottom of the barrel with my computer information.

Yah, it sure wouldn't keep me up at nigh.

0 Likes