cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

javierabadie
Adept II

Memory clock stuck when 2 display are connected

That's the problem. A very long time problem without solution. 

I have my monitor displayport (1080p 75 Hz)  and mi TV by HDMI (1080p 60 Hz). When I disconnect one of the screens the clocks go down to 300/300 MHz. But when I connect the 2 screens then the memory clock go up to the max. The result? 25º degrees more in iddle. 

Temps: 29/30º iddle with 1 screen

55/56 iddle with 2 screens

GPU: MSI RX 570 Armor 4 GB (but happen with all AMD GPU's) 

Please AMD fix that. Work harder or change your drivers developers

16 Replies
wim-bart
Elite

Wow, i never noticed this. But this is really a issue. It doubles Idle usage from 13W to 44W here. And causing my fan's to be enabled when they should be off.  Now I understand why my PC uses so much energy. I wonder how a RTX 2070 does on this? 

0 Likes

Yes I have the same problem. AMD don't support 2 screens very well

0 Likes
rawintellect
Miniboss

Here's what I did to resolve this issue. I made a custom resolution 2 ticks below what the monitor is rated at. Same resolution. Just a slightly lower clock rate. My memory downclocks fine now. It also fixed the stuttering problem I had in Planet Coaster.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Sorry but I don't understand how to complete the numbers there. Where I can find the valors for mi TV and monitor? 

Which one I need to change? Example: 75 Hz to 73? Or 60 to 58? And which more? 

0 Likes

0 Likes

I don't have a 144 Hz monitor my friend. I have an 60 and 75 Hz

0 Likes

change it to 58 and 73

0 Likes

I try 73 Hz and 58 hz not work for me

0 Likes
wim-bart
Elite

Sorry, but none works. 

I tried to make a profile of 142 Hz for one screen - does not work 

I tried to make a profile of 142 Hz for two screenss - does not work

I tried to set one screen on 120 Hz - does not work

So I tried an other screen, and it worked. But I have 2 equal screens, and want to use them. So this is not an option.

But tomorrow I send my card to the shop for RMA. Then I get the card back, send it again, get it back, send it again - and after 3 times RMA i can undo the purchase and buy myself an 2070 Super. I am sick of all the issues.

Me too. Buy an AMD card is get sick of problems

0 Likes
wim-bart
Elite

The shop was not amused, but I really do not care anymore. Even with all the broken hardware issues on NVidia cards I had, this is far more worse. When a card breaks down after 2 years, ok it is not nice, but you can use the card issue free for 2 years, with AMD I experience more issues with my RX 580, RX 570 and 5700XT in 2 years then I had with Nvidia in 8 years with 4 cards. AMD is just not able to make drivers, hardware may be good, but the frustration when you are in a game tournament and lose because of a driver crash. Or even get banned for a tournament because "of leaving a game without notice" during a game tournament because of AMD Driver crash...... That really is not good.

javierabadie
Adept II

Bump

fix that AMD!

gastovsky
Adept I

I think it's not bug, but "AMD feature". There were plenty topics about it.

0 Likes
s-warning
Adept I

nvidia has the same problems when it comes to the memory clock staying high as well if u use mismatch monitors. I  run both amd and nvidia . Best to use monitors that are the same instead of mixing. i run 3 144s on my 5700xt no problems with memory clock. Nvidia does the same thing . Now if i put a different monitor with another then it will stay high.

I run 2 exact identical screens. Both are AOC AGON AG271QG.

0 Likes

Yes, but especially 400 and 500 series is really bad at power consuption if you are using two monitors.
Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+ Limited Edition 8 GB Review | TechPowerUp 

0 Likes