cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ateslik
Adept I

Macbook Pro 16" is HOT & NOISY with an external monitor! :(

Macbook Pro 16" laptops with the 5300M and 5500M dedicated GPUs run with Radeon High Side at 20W when connected to an external monitor. This causes the machine to run VERY hot and the fans to spin to over 5000rpm.

The EXACT SAME LAPTOP running the Windows drivers through Apple bootcamp do not have this issue.

The MacOS drivers for the Radeon 5300M and 5500M need to be updated to fix this!

Here is a thread with over 2300 replies about this WIDESPREAD problem:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/16-is-hot-noisy-with-an-external-monitor.2211747

49 Replies
shivam1702
Journeyman III

I just bought a brand new MBP 16 inch in Feb 2021 and now getting it replaced because of the same issue. 

It is highly disappointing how neither Apple nor AMD are heeding to any of these complaints and ignoring so many disappointed customer complaints. 

This just demonstrates how both these companies are so very keen on emptying their customer's pockets and once they have done that, they just forget about the woes and move on to the next, even more costlier products duping their customers. 

Highly disappointed with Apple. 

0 Likes

Hi,

I have the same issue. The kernel_task process goes through the roof in CPU consumption.

The only way to work is connecting and disconnecting the external screen every 30min ..... with which, all the enjoyment I have had with apple products goes down the toilet with this investment of more than € 3000, a shame dear Tim Cook.....

Apple needs to do something about it or we'll see to it that this goes to press shortly.

Highly disappointed with Apple too.

0 Likes

I have exact same issue, does anybody know when will come the fix update? 

0 Likes
ProSaif
Journeyman III

The same thing happening here, when I connect the external monitor my MacBook pro-2019 16 inches getting horribly hot, and then all the apps start to lag. just impossible to work any kind of work, even just ms word does not work properly

vladz
Journeyman III

Hello everyone!

I have the same issue. I read tons of information, but still haven't found a solution.

As I understand it is entirely a driver problem, but AMD ignores user requests and still haven't fixed anything.

AMD, when will you give an answer? Stop keep silence and do your job.

0 Likes
ttunca
Journeyman III

I have the same problem. My previous 10 years old macbook was dealing it better. Very annoying, please update the drivers.

0 Likes
BadKern_ing
Journeyman III

Same issue. Finally got a decent external monitor, and the fans are always going crazy. This is terrible thats its still happening on 2022. What the heck. Apparently the AMD/Apple doesn't care?

0 Likes

I had the same issue. I figured it out after updating in Monterey 12.4 the problem somehow fixed. Now it consume about 5-6w in idle. Although when you starting a slightly heavier task AMD will go to 16-19 and the fans will go crazy again. But there is an improvement for sure.

0 Likes
asdakskd0sh3hk
Journeyman III

I signed up here specifically to share my experience:

I cannot recommend the 16 incher with AMD iGPU after a total of 3 years of use, at least if you (like me some time ago) connect a 2560 * 1080 display (have gone through USB-C -> Displayport adapter/cable, USB-C -> HDMI adapter/cable and all possible constellations, the problem was always the same).
I even put a notebook cooler under the laptop to mitigate the problem.
It is suspected that there is a driver bug here (or a general software problem), since it does not occur with resolutions like 4K, at least for me (see below).

The dedicated graphics chip draws over 18W of power (which generates corresponding heat), and the fans spin at maximum speed (around 5400 rpm) after a short time
Then, after a while, the kernel task starts up to limit the temperature and reduce the load, and the device becomes unusable until you disconnect the monitor.

I have now once test a new 4K monitor and additionally a full HD monitor (1920 * 1080) connected (also with a USB-C -> HDMI adapter) and lo and behold:
The graphics card only draws 5-10 watts (in any case, no longer a constant 18W), which makes the fans run slower at about 3400 rpm (they are still audible, hence the docking station, see below).
Likewise, when only the Full HD monitor is connected, or when I lower the resolution of the other monitor from 2560 * 1080 to 1920 * 1080.
This was a pure chance find that more than surprised me and seems to confirm the thesis with the driver bug.

If it were really a pure overload, the problem should not decrease but on the contrary intensify when connecting a monitor with a higher resolution (and even a second one).
So the problem seems to exist only at certain resolutions (at least for me).

Of course, I can't speak for all constellations, but feel free to try it out yourself, maybe it will help one or the other.
For me, the whole thing was reproducible - but only after I figured it out.
Nobody expects that the thing runs more smoothly with a monitor with a higher resolution and a second monitor.

I have now opted (instead of a new 4K monitor) for a DisplayLink docking station (only the iGPU is used, as the docking station handles the rendering with its DisplayLink driver) to solve this problem.
When browsing, the fans even only run at 1600 (minimum) - 2000 rpm instead of 5400 rpm.
(Thanks a lot @ateslik and @connormac for posting the link to macrumors, where I read about this suggestion)
Now the MBP is really absolutely quiet and almost inaudible while surfing (a dream compared to before).
This is obviously nothing for graphics-intensive applications.
But I don't use those, and the silence/fan speed below 2000 rpm is more important to me than graphics power
Therefore, it became the docking station and not a new 4K monitor.

The whole thing is an absolute shame.
To put it bluntly, the 2013 MBP runs even quieter and, on balance, smoother (because no kernel task kicks in).

0 Likes

Reply, because I can't edit:

In addition there is :

- the problem with the uncooled voltage transformers, which can also cause the fans to spin up:
https://www.reddit.com/r/macbookpro/comments/gs6bal/2019_mbp_16_vrm_cooling_mod/

- as well as the overheating Thunderbolt controllers:
https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/363337/how-to-find-cause-of-high-kernel-task-cpu-usage

0 Likes