cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nightzone988
Journeyman III

Low GPU Usage In Direct X 9 Games

i recently bought R9 280X second hand and performance in titles with Direct X 11 is great, but every Direct X 9 game (or lower) has very low GPU usage and very low FPS. I already tried reinstalling drivers, using different ones, reinstalling drivers with DDU, formating hardrive and installing system again and nothing worked. My CPU isn't bottlenecking my GPU or getting hot usage of my GPU with Direct X 11 games is at 99%. I posted this issue on other forum but it seems that nobody knows the answer. So my question is.. is this normal? AMD has poor support for older Direct X games or something? Or is this something from my side?

My specs are:

CPU: i5-3470

MOTHERBOARD: DELL 7010 (Bios version A29)

RAM: 4GB DDR3 (Running at 1333Mhz)

PSU: TRACER HIGHLANDER 600W (i know it's not the best one but it does the job)

GPU: RADEON R9 280X 3GB

HDD: SAMSUNG HD090HJ/P

3 Replies

According to me, its normal. It's general because you had purchased second hand not new one.

Well if that's the case 

Kinda weird because overall performance is great i didn't have any issues with newer games but the older titles don't use full potential of my GPU for example Original Skyrim runs poorly but Special Edition works like a charm first one is Direct x 9 second Direct x 11 just wow...

Anyway thanks for the answer!

0 Likes
urielejh
Elite

Hi,

generally speaking, DX9 games are much LESS threaded than DX11 ones and performace is bogged. name a few examples and the resolution at which you're playing. also, 280x is a great but, maybe, look at the 3gb.. some games may slow down but i see it rather hard in that case.

so, reply with:

- games

- resolution

- in-game settings used

- vram used

also, try with stock performance and auto oc and those settings in radeon panel related to dx9 games.. : D

0 Likes