cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sioshi
Newcomer

Low fps drops from nowhere on every game

It happened about a month ago. Out of nowhere, I started getting frame drops in every game I owned. It is very noticeable and annoys me to hell. The games ran fine a while ago but now they have lag spikes constantly. Is anyone else having this issue? Could someone help? P.S I have tried lowering graphics settings and installing new drivers. Also, my graphics cars is an RX550.

0 Likes
7 Replies
sioshi
Newcomer

AMD Graphics Card

2048MB ATI Radeon RX 550 Series (Gigabyte)

Desktop or Laptop System

Desktop

Operating System

Windows 7 64bit

Driver version installed

Display Devices

DELL U2412M on Radeon RX 550 Series

Monitor Width 1920

Monitor Height 1200

Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency 60 Hz

Ram

8 GB DDR3

Motherboard

MSI 870A-G54 (MS-7599) (CPU1)

CPU/APU

AMD Phenom II X4 945

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

Chieftec, CFT-650-14CS, 650W

0 Likes

Do you have any third party graphics controls installed on your computer? Afterburner,Trixx,Asus? If so, delete them as they conflict with AMD/Wattman settings.

Do you have your Power Limit set to +50 in Wattman? AMD graphics performance

Have you fully updated Win7?

** Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 must be fully updated before attempting to install any AMD driver. All 'critical', 'recommended', and 'optional' (no language packs,etc) updates as well as any Service Packs (SP) must be installed before any attempt to install graphics drivers. If you do not get this message .... keep installing until you do:

Have you clean installed  Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers the latest drivers Desktop  ?

0 Likes
leofbrj
Newcomer

Same issue since a month on a Dell Inspiron 7520 with a HD 7730m card. Tried to disable Win Update which kept downloading an old driver over the installed one, but didn't solve the problem. Still wonder if it has something to do with Meltdown, since in over a month no working fix both from AMD and Microsoft has been released.

The only solution I found at the moment is reinstalling the AMD driver (not necessarily the latest, I usually install 17.12.1, then the time after I use AMD Settings to update it and the third time I reinstall 17.12.1 again, and so on) after every Windows startup. Just remember not to reboot Windows after that, or you'll be back to zero.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Use DDU in safe mode clean all old driver updates off. Best trick i recomend to do tho is download the 18.2.1 drivers from AMD direct on a usb with lastest version off DDU. Disable internet connection if you use cc cleaner do a full registry clean there has been chaos with drivers since windows 10 & AMD drivers causing isssues, been here done that going off experience i have learnt. Wipe all display drivers in safe mode. Boot back to normal windows with internet disabled & antivirus. Load up you brand new drivers off usb till it prompts you to do a restart. Reboot with internet connected to validate the drivers & should be good to go. if you integrated Graphics are enabled disable them if you have to sometimes can cause issues with drivers to. The simplest way to try first then update any chipset drivers threw Device manager tho disable AMD auto updates for safty if its running stable may advise to disable windows 10 updates for a month or so till the issues sort out.

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

I have had issues with drivers with 1 of my builds using a Saspphire pulse RX560 OC 4G in the last month since windows 10 updates played full on havoc with my build. I only just got mine running stable on the 18.2.1 drivers atm so i kinda know the issues. & learnt a few more tricks as i been finding. If issues persist give us more detailed info i will try help as i go I dont run high end cards as i see no point the the rx550s are basically a 1030 equivilent if your playing games that need a decent amout of oomph to run your going to run into issues. Dont run any 3rd party software this is Important as will cause conflicts & a host of other issues. Going off experience since going to AMD was a Nvidia user but junking the whole lot in my house as they are utter crap heap cards. I know my way around builds as a part time IT tech when not working my Fully time day job but any ideas i can throw around may help. I do advise not to use 3rd part drivers updating software as can plaque you system with crap to. Your better off to search your device manager to check that the wrong updates threw windows has been applied.

0 Likes
Rajat777
Journeyman III

I have a HP 15g-br105tx which has a radeon 520, been having this exact same issue for over 1.5 year. Tried multiple of combinations of solutions including resetting drivers, uninstall/re-install, wiping my windows, reinstalling windows etc etc. No solution has been found so far but i can detail more on my exact problem.

This applies to every game i play using the radeon dedicated chipset, I have an intel integrated that works fine but not powerful enough

For about 4-5 minutes the game works fine lets say 100+ fps and then suddenly for around 30-40 seconds the game drops to 5-10 fps. This cycle repeats several times with uneven intervals up until it reaches a stable fps of 30-40. Ofc a normal game should give me 100+ but it doesnt.

Once that state occurs even if i switch games i will get lower fps. I have checked my power settings which is all set to high performance.

To me it seems that the GPU get bottlenecked to not let the laptop overheat. And need to find a way to override that.

I can provide further information if required.

0 Likes