cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

k427262
Adept I

Lost Audio after adding new RX 570 to 3400G Build

Hello. My pc was working fine prior to adding a brand new AMD GPU (Radeon RX 570). 
Since adding it, I have completely lost audio over HDMI. Old setup (works great): MSI Motherboard Ryzen 5 3400G CPU Samsung TV, plugged into motherboard HDMI port. New setup (no audio, everything else fine): MSI Motherboard Ryzen 5 3400G CPU Radeon Rx 570 GPU Samsung TV, plugged into GPU HDMI Port In the windows sound options, I have no available sound device (everything says "not plugged in").
I have installed AMD Adrenaline without issue - I think this should have handled the GPU drivers.
It almost seems like a conflict between the AMD GPU and AMD APU? I've attached several pictures to show my system. Please let me know if you need any more info.
I'm a software engineer and am technically savvy. Thanks in advance.
5 Replies
k427262
Adept I

Adding to this with the results of additional troubleshooting:

- the “AMD Audio Driver Version” is listed as “Not Available” in the AMD Radeon Software console.

- Unplugging my gpu’s power, and running the hdmi to the motherboard sees the sound return without issue after a driver refresh/rescan. 
- Yes I DDU’d, no change.

- I disabled the integrated graphics and the onboard audio in the BIOS, then tried reinstalling all of the GPU drivers - no change.

- I have open tickets with XFX and AMD. XFX’s response was basic troubleshooting, AMD hasn’t responded yet.

Pretty frustrating. I see tons of very similar threads online that all seem to involve an AMD APU, and AMD Rx 5xx GPU, and an MSI motherboard. There really haven’t been any solutions other than people selling/scrapping their APU and getting a dedicated CPU.

sharp14
Adept I

I'm running a Ryzen 3 3200G, an RX 580 4G and an MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max. This is an issue on my machine. AMD settings does not install HDMI audio drivers, and lists them as 'Not Available'. This problem did not occur with the same graphics card paired with a Gigabyte motherboard and an Intel i5-4460.

0 Likes

Hello

Unfortunately, these AMD forums, other internet tech forums, and AMD support - were very unhelpful. I spent a long time troubleshooting and only was getting very basic support from AMD. I felt like I knew more about their product than the tech person I spoke with.

Really soured me against AMD. They have a real driver conflict issue with their APUs when paired against some RX GPUs, and just looked the other way.

I ended up selling my 3400G APU for a great price on Ebay ($40 more than my purchase price, due to the shortage of PC parts from Covid) and just buying a 2600 instead. The performance is actually slightly better, and I came out about $30 bucks ahead. Everything worked flawlessly once I got rid of the 3400G.

AMD is an industry leader at value parts. Unfortunately, like most value items, the support available is pretty awful.

My only recommendation would be swapping out your APU for a dedicated AMD CPU, like I did. The internet is full of these issue threads and I haven't seen one reproducible solution. Good luck.

0 Likes

I'll be definitely looking to upgrade my CPU to perhaps sometihng like a 3600X soon. I'm not really going to let this sour my opinion of AMD though, it's likely some incredibly obscure edge case for a very small subset of users - those with MSI motherboards, pairing an AMD APU with an AMD GPU, with a display supporting audio over HDMI and actually wanting to use it.

Their support is terrible, though, and so is their internal communication. Driver development focuses on making AMD settings look pretty, moving to QT, adding a browser feature and then obfuscating the UI even more, including dumb features like streaming where any streamer will simply just use OBS.

I'm hoping they'll improve.

0 Likes
sharp14
Adept I

MSI have pushed a BIOS update that fixes this, 7B86vH6 on 2020-04-24: (Fix HDMI audio lost issue when use AMD RX570 vga card). It fixes it for an RX580 too.

0 Likes