Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Petitdoigt
Adept I

Loose signal when installing AMD Drivers for a RX 6800

Hi all !

I recieved my 6800 a few days ago to replace my 660 ti. No matter what i try to do i get a black screen when i try to install AMD drivers ( doesnt seem to depend on the version of the said driver ).

Everything was working fine with my 660 ti just before that, here is my setup :

• CPU : Ryzen 5 5600x

• Motherboard : B550 Tomahawk (flashed to support the R5 5600x, working, as i can do whatever i want with my 660 ti)

• PSU : be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ (working as the 2x6 pins 660 ti is working no problem)

• GPU : RX 6800 (founders) // And an old 660 ti

• 2x ADATA XPG Gammix D20 8GB DDR4-3200 MHz (no XMP profile issue)

The cooling is good (30°C on the ryzen 5 5600x idle and 40 ish on the old 660 ti, so it's likely not a cooling issue).

In the first place, to install my 6800, I installed DDU, uninstall Nvidia's drivers for my 660ti , shut down the computer, socketed my 6800, booted (so far so good). When i tried to install radeon software Adrenalin (tried version from 20.11.2 up to 21.4.1) instead of a normal flicker of the screen, i completely lost signal during the GPU driver install. No crash, windows still running, i just lost the signal on my screen (and after 1 or 2 minutes of lost signals, the GPU fans stop). Then i booted in safe mode (i have a signal in safe mode) to uninstall the driver (with DDU, later with the AMD driver cleaner) which then allow me to get back the signal in normal mode, and tried installing differents versions of AMD's driver, with no success.

I tracked the errors in Windows events log, and spotted a warning just before every black screen :

Spoiler
The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {C2F03A33-21F5-47FA-B4BB-156362A2F239} and APPID {316CDED5-E4AE-4B15-9113-7055D84DCC97} to the user DESKTOP-XXXXXX\username SID (S-1-5-21-3343893502-1687338766-2735079192-1001) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_10.0.19041.610_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy SID (S-1-15-2-155514346-2573954481-755741238-1654018636-1233331829-3075935687-2861478708). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

And gave a try to : https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/6800-xt-black-screen-during-driver-installation/td-p/4...

Which didnt fix my problem.

I also tried installing the driver directly in safe mode, no warnings, no issue, everything working ok, but as soon as i go back to normal mode, i loose signal.

After that, i tried a clean re-install of Windows with the 6800 in, to see if there was some kind of conflict somewhere in the drivers, but the results were the exact same.

I can still shutdown put my 660 ti back in and everything works fine.

I dont really know what i'm doing wrong (if anything). I also have to mention that i have an "old" monitor (waiting for a new one to come by the end of the week) : SyncMaster S22B350, which (i think ?) supports up to HDMI 1.4.
I know that the HDMI 2.1 output from the 6800 is coming from a DP 1.4 conversion, could my screen having a " too old version " of HDMI be the issue ? I thought that HDMI was backward compatible...
If not, do you have any idea what i can do to try to fix ? Some bios options ?

I really don't know if it's normal that the 6800's fans stop after the signal is lost, there is nothing to display, but is it really "not" suppose to work a little ? unfortunately i cannot try to unplug the screen and see if the fans automatically stop, as they are ... already not running. But if they are running when there is no display, could that mean that the GPU is at fault ?

Anyway, thanks guys for reading, and sorry for the long post ... any piece of advice is appreciated !

0 Likes
1 Solution
Petitdoigt
Adept I

Update !

Solution to my problem : 

I recieved a new monitor and everything is working fine with it. My guess is that there is some backward compatibility issue with older monitor and the 6000 series. From the GPU doc what i understood is that the HDMI output of the graphic card is Display Port (1.4) converted to HDMI 2.1, and maybe (?) it messes up with old HDMI 1.4 of the monitor ?

Anyway, both the 660 ti AND the 6800 are working fine with a new monitor, drivers install went well.

If you have the same issue and "can" try your config on a displayport, do so. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
7 Replies
Smash1209
Adept I

I noticed you haven't tried a standard windows update. I recommend giving it a shot since i was having driver issues recently and a windows update was what allowed me to install the latest drivers, before this my pc would crash everytime I tried a driver update.

If that doesn't work i think the monitor might be at fault after all. Ik HDMI is supposed to be backwards compatible in some cases but since you are converting from DP it might be a different story.

That's all i can think of... if this doesn't work i suggest looking for this issue on youtube, maybe it happens more than you think

0 Likes

Do you mean letting Windows update install the GPU driver ( has yet to be done ) himself or just updating windows to its last stable release then install drivers ? (in that case, i already did it !)

0 Likes

well i was thinking of what you already did, you see right now you would use the Windows Inate (not its official title) driver for your 6800 which is universal but won't bring out the potential of your gpu. If you let Windows install whatever driver it wants it will choose an out dated one which might not be compatible with your gpu, which is very new. Honestly I'm thinking that if the latest drivers don't work for you then its a hardware issue. Maybe your monitor is not compatible or your MB cant deliver enough power to PCIe. maybe you can go to pcpartpicker and make sure all your pieces are comaptible.

0 Likes

i just double cheeked your specs and i think your power supply is not strong enough for that card. check requirements on AMD's website

0 Likes

How can 700W not be enough for "just" a 6800 at idle  ?

I really dont think this is the issue. Even a 600W supply should work just fine.

And the PSU is working as the rtx 660 ti is working no problem. 

The recommandation for the 6800 is 650W, i think i'm very safe

0 Likes

maybe you're right, then again maybe not. You've only got 50W of headroom above the recommendation. it might not be the issue but don't discard that possibility. it might another one of your pieces that's to blame or maybe your monitor. don't discard any possibilities until you find some evidence that narrows down your suspects. I suggest you go do research on this particular situation regardless. after all I'm just some dude trying to help.

0 Likes
Petitdoigt
Adept I

Update !

Solution to my problem : 

I recieved a new monitor and everything is working fine with it. My guess is that there is some backward compatibility issue with older monitor and the 6000 series. From the GPU doc what i understood is that the HDMI output of the graphic card is Display Port (1.4) converted to HDMI 2.1, and maybe (?) it messes up with old HDMI 1.4 of the monitor ?

Anyway, both the 660 ti AND the 6800 are working fine with a new monitor, drivers install went well.

If you have the same issue and "can" try your config on a displayport, do so. 

0 Likes