cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

qwixt
Forerunner

Longer shutdown/restart time with 19.5.1 on Win 10 - 1809

It takes a noticeably longer time to restart or shutdown with the new drivers. As soon as 19.5.1 is uninstalled, the problem goes away. I reverted back to 19.4.3.

Radeon VII

Win 10 - 1809

Definitely seems something internal to the card, because Windows shutdowns down normally, then it takes inordinate amount of time at black screen. Can even see the monitor report signal lost.

Startup is normal.

If no one else has the problem, I might try reinstalling or using DDU to wipe amd drivers.

0 Likes
1 Solution

I have confirmed that it's not PC specific issue. I did a clean reset of another PC (with different motherboard vendor/CPU) to 1903. Installed the latest AMD drivers, and the same issue on it. It was a fresh win 10 install and update to 1903.

So it's either an issue with my specific GPU or more likely, AMD messed up something with VIIs in the 19.5.x.

View solution in original post

22 Replies

Use DDU and perform a clean install of the AMD drivers.

Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers 

Also, try disabling 'Fast start'

Windows 10 Fast Startup could be detrimental to your computer 

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

Thanks. I have long had hibernate and sleep disabled and turned off. Fast boot and Fast Start also disabled.

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

For more detail, DDU did not change anything. No fast startup or fast boot options are enabled. The sequence of events is thus

1. All services stopped

2. Black screen

3. Monitor reports no signal

4. Black screen

5. BIOS startup screen

#3 and #4 take 15 to 20+ extra seconds to perform.

I have had verbose shutdown setting enabled for a long time in windows 10, and it's past the service unloading. This is new behavior with this driver.

0 Likes

Thanks. I looked into this, and it's contributing factor to this.

I have reverted back to 19.4.3, and provided driver feedback.

0 Likes
strikeur
Adept II

I have exactly the same problem, I haven't tried to install the 19.4.3 yet...

0 Likes
qwixt
Forerunner

Still broke with 19.5.2 and with new windows version 1903.

strikeur
Adept II

Same, still broke again with 19.5.2.

0 Likes

It started happening with 19.5.1 and version 1809. I just updated to 1903 to see if it was WDDM 2.6 specific, and it's not.

Problem is fixed as soon as the 19.5.1 or 19.5.2 driver is removed.

Could it be AMDUEP on in those two drivers, longshot.

No problem on my 390, 19.5.1 or 2 1809, or 19.5.2, 1903.

Guess you have reported it to driver team, if it's vega, vii specific ?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried reinstalling with the package removed. No change.

As soon as 19.5.x gets installed, it shutdowns down completely. Verified all drivers updated too. I even uninstalled all drivers for mouse/keyboard/sound to see if that made any change, but no luck. I think it's bug, and I have reported, but no idea if it will ever be addressed.

0 Likes

I have confirmed that it's not PC specific issue. I did a clean reset of another PC (with different motherboard vendor/CPU) to 1903. Installed the latest AMD drivers, and the same issue on it. It was a fresh win 10 install and update to 1903.

So it's either an issue with my specific GPU or more likely, AMD messed up something with VIIs in the 19.5.x.

qwixt
Forerunner

As a further update, the issue still exists in 19.6.1 drivers. I enabled hibernate to test another use case out, and I can hibernate the PC without the longer shutdown time.

To explain the behavior further, since 19.5.1 driver, my PC takes about an extra minute to shutdown. I looked at the windows diagnostic logs, and windows thinks shutdown took 2.x seconds. I have verbose shutdown enabled in windows, and the windows shutdown timing appears correct. So whatever is happening is external to windows. It's not a service thing. Windows is done. Also, restart has an extra delay, but not as long as shutdown.

It appears like the drivers change something internal to the card that slows things down. Perhaps some BIOS stuff where it takes longer to shutdown. I have fully updated motherboard BIOS, and GPU with v106. In fact, I duplicated the issue on a completely different intel based system, with 100% new clean install.

I wish I could determine if this a general radeon VII issue, or specific to my GPU, so I can initiate a RMA. But AMD never provides any insight or feedback when submitting driver issues. I didn't not fill out a new driver issue for 19.6.1 as I am not going to continue doing that with every driver update.

I read you carefully every time, I wait for him to solve it with the drivers.

It would be nice if a member of AMD would come and read this post...

0 Likes
strikeur
Adept II

Hello,

I no longer have a problem with drivers with Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.6.3 Optional.

0 Likes

Nice. The issue still continues for me.

0 Likes

No, USB-C connected devices for me, but I do have a USB-C port on the back panel.

The behavior I see is as soon as the AMD gpu driver is no longer loaded, due to a crash while undervolting experimentation, the PC boots normal. The issue I see is 100% related to AMD driver.

0 Likes

I have the same problem. I see many others having the same issue. It is definitely a conflict with the Radeon VII and the driver. I can't believe they haven't fixed it yet. Very disappointing. This isn't the only known problem AMD has ignored with this card. The memory clock issue has been present for many months as well. Come on AMD! Stop ignoring your customers.

0 Likes

This issue basically led me to never buy another AMD product. These days AMD is the cheap knockoff of a name brand. It's only matter of time before it breaks and becomes useless. As of now, I have no more AMD products and it will take years before I reconsider this policy. I will pay the surcharge of other vendors NVidia/Intel to get a working product.

I mentally classified my purchase of the VII as a donation to charity, for the sake of competition.

0 Likes
Ruthxess256
Journeyman III

i really need help i was installing radeon to my pc and it required a system restart so i clicked yes and my pc had a “no signal” on the screen and my monitor was on my power went out during this time and it’s been hours and still haven’t got it to work 

0 Likes