cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dpospisi
Adept I

Linux support is a mess

Two days ago, I finally "upgraded" from GTX 1070 to RX6800. As a content creator, i need couple of apps running without issues - mainly Blender, Substance and X-Plane.

I was not able to get it working so far. I tried various drivers - amdgpu, amdgpu-pro with various opencl / vulkan stack. Non of them worked.

I think there are two ways to go - provide single closed binary drivers as NVidia does, which works flawlessly out of the box. Or go opensource way as Intel does. Yet, AMD invented it's own approach - something in between. Provide zilion of various drivers and combinations of all of them. Each and single one of them crippled in it's own way. Let each user fiddle with them for each particular usecase just to find out that none of them works as should.

At this point, it seems that OpenCL support for RX 6000 cards is non-existing. I tried different apps with the latest amdgpu-pro driver as well as tried ROC stack but it keeps crashing and crashing.

I just bought useless pice of hardware for $3000. Yet, my 5 years old NVidia card is much better for every task I need. Many thanks.

14 Replies
colesdav
MVP

Re: Linux support is a mess

You are correct.

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

What do you think of the AMD Radeon GUI/UI for your RX6800 GPU in Linux to control basic things like GPU clocks, fan speeds etc?

Since you tired ROCm I assume you are running latest version of Ubuntu?

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

You might want to read this, if you decide to keep your RX6800 GPU: 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/temporary-gui-solution-to-monitor-your-amd-gpu-s-for-a...

0 Likes
dpospisi
Adept I

I am not interested in fan control / clock tuning at all.

I was running latest ubuntu, that I downgraded to 21.04 to get amdgpu-pro support. Did not help much.

colesdav
MVP

This might help you with something: 
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Radeon RX 6000

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

I have one PC decked out with multiple Fiji GPUs for ROCm on Ubuntu. 
Spent more time debugging problems with ROCm and driver bugs than actually coding. 

It is / was mess. 
AMD dropped support for their OpenCL SDK for Windows and there is no OpenCL for Ryzen CPU on Blender.

I moved my project over to Nvidia CUDA.
I can even code on Windows. There is much better support. 

AMD are not a serious option for a real GPU Compute project for small team of coders using ROCm yet.

Maybe one day.

0 Likes
dpospisi
Adept I

Yeah, I follow Proronix. That's the source from which I got the impression that Radeon would be usable.

But seems that the usecases they test are too basic or do not cover what I need.

Anyway, I think that I spent enaugh time on that. The only reason I bought AMD is 16GB VRAM. Once nvidia releases something competitive i'll probably swich back as you did.

0 Likes
tnz
Journeyman III

Hi,

Did you try free drivers ? (mesa)

0 Likes
dpospisi
Adept I

Yes, I tried those provided by ubuntu 20.04 and 21.04 beta. Also mesa-git. But they do not provide OpenCL. I tried to combine free drivers with amdgpu-pro opencl but it keeps crashing. Even Radeon Pro Render crashes pretty often with this combo.