cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Klaceyes
Adept I

Latest driver update (Adrenalin 22.11.2 Recommended (WHQL)) doesn't fix the black screen on 240+ Hz

Like the title says.

I just got a new pc and installed all needed for it to work, latest updates everywhere.
I've saw that sometimes on windows it had black screens that lead to pilote timeout or something from the amd adrenalin software, and i got why when i read the first fix that it did on windows 11 machines.

So, for people that have the same problem : no, AMD didn't fixed the first linked problem on the patch note, below : 

• During video playback and window switching, an intermittent driver timeout or black screen may occur on Radeon™ RX 6000 series GPUs using some 240Hz refresh rate displays or high refresh rate primary display plus low refresh rate secondary display configurations.

I got two screens, one is 144Hz and the other is 240Hz, both made by Gigabyte. It can occur when you want to install a program (so the moment there should be a little window asking for perms), when you alt tab, when you try to uninstall a software... everything that can make a little modification on screen.

So for amd now, you should put more pressure on those tests when you make a patch, or you'll end up making fool of yourselves like Nvidia.

0 Likes
17 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

This is unfortunate. Have you tried using DDU to uninstall old drivers and reinstall fresh.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Yes, even tho it's a fresh build i tried that too

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I personally can't really tell you to do anything else as I run a single monitor at 240hz and haven't had this issue. Maybe someone else can help because I don't like to advise people on problems I myself haven't encountered.  

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Brother I have two 144hz ultrawides and the 2nd blanks out at random no matter what I'm doing with it or the primary screen and driver version does not matter.  Sometimes I watch videos on it while playing games or reading on the primary and it will just go away. 

If you read the release notes AMD knows full well what's going on yet they have not released a fix for it. 

I just ordered the replacement hardware to transition off X570 to Intel Z790 and I am very close to dropping another $1.7k on a rtx 4090 and calling it a day.  I won't be coming back to AMD anytime soon if ever.  At work I speak with other IT people who build their own systems and they are moving back to Intel too because there are just too many problems using AMD hardware. 

Now to be fair their pro line of systems work fine because their driver teams have to be at the top of their game for corporate customers.  My screens never blank out using my government laptop like they do on my rx6900xt so go figure.  And they don't blank out using my 5800h laptop with rtx 3060 gpu.

0 Likes

really a bruh moment, we pay to have problems...

0 Likes

I'm on my 3rd week of RTX 4090 and will probably never leave NVidia again.

0 Likes

I'll join in, the problem sounds similar to my problem, when I quit steamvr with my index, the driver sometimes crashes with a driver timeout. The index, which has 144hz, is switched off, while my desktop only has 4k60

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Something you could do is contact AMD via the contact email and let them know that it isn't fixed on your hardware configuration and tell them your specs. Maybe they have suggestions.

yep, i'll see what they'll say

thanks for the suggestion

0 Likes
Raiju
Journeyman III

RX 6800XT | Adrenalin 22.11.2
I have the same issue. I have a 144Hz and a 60Hz screen and sometimes (not often) I would get a black screen when watching videos on youtube for example. I don't get any error or anything, just black screen and then 1-2 secs later it comes back.

0 Likes
tingo
Adept II

Hi Klaceyes,

I have 11 years practice running EyeFinity.

You are right about 22.11.2 as it gives me black screen on one screen, I don't have that issues with 22.11.1

When ever I have had black screen issues it always boils down to "Windows losing focus" on one are more monitors.

One thing has held true since Windows 7, mixing screen size and Hz only freaks out Windows.

Also, when you buy any monitor you will get cheap cables as it keeps the total price way down.

I run 16k braided display port cables on 2k TN panels, it makes a big difference running @ 7680 x 1440

Windows will always pick the monitor with the lowest refresh rate / screen res,

and also try's to adjust / sync your 240 Hz monitor to 144 Hz which of course will always fail.

Example: No matter what size/Hz monitor I plug into my Video card HDMI to run a side monitor 4, when I start a game it loads in monitor 4 and not my EyeFinity main display.As far as I can figure it is not an AMD issue alone,

I don't see how AMD will be able to fix this issue without help from Microsoft.

So for testing,

1. Turn your UAC setting down one click to (do not dim my desktop)

2. (a) install 22.11.1

3. (b) buy better cables, your 144Hz cable is probably causing a bottleneck.

4. (c) run both screens @ 144Hz until there is a fix.

-- If you click on your second screen while gaming or any full screen program you will lose focus on that screen,
and Windows will freakout with miss-matched monitors.
11 years of trying I have never been able to use a side screen without losing focus on my game even with matching monitors.

EyeFinity plus one side screen, Windows only see's 2 screens so........

If anyone knows a work around for this please let me know Thanks

~ MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS AM4
~ AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT 6-Core @ 4.6 MHz
~ PowerColor Red Devil RX 6750 XT
~ HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 3200
~ SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2
~ Windows 11 Pro

~ MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS AM4
~ AMD RYZEN 5 3600XT 6-Core @ 4.6 GHz
~ PowerColor Red Devil RX 6750 XT
~ SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2
~ Windows 11 Pro

~ SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2~ Windows 11 Pro

Hi, thank you for sharing your experience and some workaround solutions.

i'm using a "kind-of-HD-cable" i bought to fit the performance i was looking for, and since i only saw like 4k cables that doesn't really add much. I don't know if there are some cables made specifically for high-frequency monitors but i'll take a look.

Since i've posted i've used the 22.5.1 update and just unplugged my second screen, and i didn't had any problem so far. Until recently...

I've updated to the latest update and i still  don't have driver crashes... BUT now i have random white flashes on screen that occurs the same way when it was crashing. Looks like i've traded the latest game support for a surprise random flashbang feature >>

And the solution of using 144Hz isn't something i'm for, i bought a crazy pc for gaming and in games it have no problem. Or i might try for when i'm on windows but it's gonna be extremely annoying to constantly switch frequencies every time i leave/open a game that i don't know if i'll do it.

...funny thing is that i've already consider buying a 360Hz monitor to replace the two i already have, might be mazochist at some point 

0 Likes
SpicyChuck
Adept II

Check this topic:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/repairman-says-cards-dying-after-a-driver-update/td...

My card died a month ago and don't know what happened. Everything started with random black screens on Windows and after gaming...

0 Likes

That's bs, they were all ex mining cards from the same location...

Nvidia is the only one to release card bricking drivers ever.

0 Likes

@jsk68 wrote:

Nvidia is the only one to release card bricking drivers ever.

Absolutely WRONG!

0 Likes

Absolutely RIGHT!

There I showed you, except 1 google search proves what I said, what do you have?

0 Likes

I plusue the answer, it's certainly of the batch that was sold by the same dude who was mining before and that had many problems

0 Likes