Flyfisherman
Challenger

Latest driver 21.3.1 locked my monitor to 640x480

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
Memory: 16GB @3200MHz
Monitors: Left main: 27" 2560x1440 secondary right 24" 1920x1080

Radeon Adrenalin  ver. 21.3.1 locked my left hand monitor (2560x1440) to 640x480 and it is impoosible to change the resolution.
My right hand monitor with 1920x1080 works.

My first attempt to install ver. 21.3.1 over powered the my left hand monitor with almost everything so there was not possible to even se anything on the monitor, it went bonkers. The right monitor however worked as befofre.

I had to revert to ver. 21.2.3 and then everythings is ok.

There are some seriuos trouble with the latest driver 21.3.1
Stay away from this update and I think AMD should revoke this from their website.

Best regard from Sweden.

3 Solutions

hope they can fix it, new hdmi 2.1 still ongoing

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Also with hdmi, the aorus FI27Q gives 10 bit color option at only 60HZ.

0 Likes

solve the issue for my on FI27Q

downgrade frimware F03

use amdcleanuputility 

then install new driver

can used DP 2k on 165Hz hope another can fix it to....

203 Replies

Did you reply back? lol

I've contacted AMD and was told to DDU and install the newest driver, etc...

Told them it didn't help and tried it 100 times already. Waiting for a new response.

Nothing above 21.2.3 works.

0 Likes

Exact same problem nothing above 21.2.3 works. 

0 Likes

This is really weird, I remember that I had 21.5.2 working for a month. Did I not restart my PC for a full month? I doubt that.

Not sure how it worked, and now it doesn't. It all started when I tried the 21.6 driver.

0 Likes

this something really weird~ till now i not have problem with this AORUS FI27Q after Firmware F03~ i think you need re install your OS~ maybe~ just try all "procedure" you wanna do, and i still happy with my solution~ 

take care all~~

0 Likes

I have firmware F02

So WE ALL need to re-install windows? I don't think so! This has nothing to do with the OS.

What is your solution? Did you have this issue and you re-installed windows and it fixed the issue? I doubt that.

Anyways I tried the new driver from today 21.7.2 and did not work. Still stuck on 640x480.

0 Likes

Dear .......

Our engineer had tried to duplicate the issue but didn't see the problem. In this case, please operate Control Button on monitor and access Device Setting and select [Reset All] to load monitor default setting and try again.

If possible, please test this monitor with other computer and see how it works.

Feel free to contact us again anytime if you have any feedback or need any support from us. 

Regards,
GIGABYTE

Latest Response I've had.

0 Likes

Hey MrFinch, did you try to do what Gigabyte suggested?

i.e resetting the monitor, etc..?

0 Likes

Cant say I did but seems like they were just trying to fob me off with that piece of advice?

0 Likes

I don't get it. Nvidia had the exact same problem and fixed it right away with a new driver release.

What's going on with AMD?

0 Likes

Just tests what Gigabtye told me, made no difference what so ever.  So yeah just being fobbed off by them lets hope AMD can sort it out. I tested my system with a different monitor and the latest drivers work so yeah kind of narrows it down.

Sorry you had to go through the hassle again.

Now we just need to check the monitor a different PC with the new AMD driver, but I'm pretty sure the monitor won't work either.

No possible that we all have an issue with the OS or something.

Anyways, can you reply to Gigabyte saying you tried their fix with no luck? Feels like we will get stuck with this old driver forever.

0 Likes

Already messaged them. I don't seem that interested in looking into it just trying to pull the wool so far. I will let you know what comes back .

0 Likes

okay~ hope you guys find the real solution for your own problem then~

0 Likes

Dear ...................

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[..................]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for your response.

As this issue is with latest driver, we will take this feedback and forward to concerned department for future consideration. I request you to continue using previous driver.

Thanks for contacting AMD.

In order to update this service request, please respond without deleting or modifying the service request reference number in the email subject or in the email correspondence below.

Please Note: This service request will automatically close if we do not receive a response within 10 days and cannot be reopened.

If it is not feasible to respond within 10 days, feel free to open a new service request and reference this ticket for continued support.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

I've found someone having F03 firmware and able to use the newest driver without issues on DP.

How come we all can't?

Should I upgrade my F02 firmware to F03?

0 Likes

I’m running F3 and I still have issues.

0 Likes

So it won't make a difference if I update from F02 to F03.

Maybe we all updated windows with something? I'm certain I have 21.5 working for me but suddenly everything broke.

Maybe a windows update made this?

I tried removing all latest windows update and tried the 21.6 and 21.7 and nothing works.

The moment I install the 21.2 everything goes back to normal.

This is just insane from AMD.

WHY NO ONE FROM AMD EVEN REPLIES IN THIS FORUM?

WHY ONLY WE CONTINUE TO DISCUSS THE ISSUE? DID EVERYONE ELSE GET IT FIXED?

I'M LOSING MY MIND OVER THIS BS.

i  did, just fixed

F05 to F03

new driver fresh on DP port~

0 Likes

Naigaxeon this may have worked for yourself but its not working for anyone else again your not really helping to get this issue fixed.

0 Likes

hm..?? they said it works~ just find in previous post~ maybe you not~

if you still struggle~ yeah~ it's yours after all then.. thank you~
0 Likes

I think it works for people who downgraded from F05 to F03. Those who had the issue while on F03 are stuck here because gigabyte removed F05 from support site. Anyway you can try reapplying F03 or something but I'm not taking any risks. I'm waiting for a good deal on and RTX card and I'm out.

0 Likes

So just an observation just installed driver 21.7.2 (brand new) and same old problems but just as a test I hooked the monitor up with a HDMI cable instead of my display port cable. The new driver now works perfectly only issue because its display port I can only get 144hz when the monitor is capable of 165hz so its not a fix but I wonder if this might help narrow down the problem. As soon as I switch back to a display port cable it instantly reverts back to the 640x480. 

0 Likes

Yes, this HDMI vs DP happens with every driver above 21.2.3

I have firmware F02 and wondering if I should try F03 because I won't be able to go back to F02 since I don't have this file and can't save it from the monitor before upgrading.

0 Likes

Its worth trying to go to F3 in case it fixes it for you but you don't need to go back to F2 for any reason.

0 Likes

And also make sure you are using the latest OSD-sidekick s/w when You load F03 firmware.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Monitor/AORUS-FI27Q/support#support-dl

0 Likes

Ok so I updated to F03. Should I remove the driver with DDU or just update it from the Adrenalin software and get it done? Wonder if it makes a difference.

0 Likes

"https://drive.google.com/file/d/15rBhIfkP74Mkq-TljnHPDkbRAtb5LQBb/view?usp=sharing"

this one for F05~ then downgrade to F03~ if you still used F02~ there is no solution~ try fix it on your own then~

if downgrade F05-F03 not gonna help~ hm... dunno then.....
0 Likes

Ok so good news. I got my monitor working with the 21.7.2 driver.

Not sure what exactly solved the issue but this is what I did:

1. Upgraded my monitor firmware from F02 to F03
  2. Disabled windows auto driver update via gpedit.msc
  3. Downloaded the new driver from AMD website
  4. Disabled my internet connection
  5. Went into safe mode
  6. Used DDU to remove old driver
  7. Restart PC and install new driver while still offline
  8. Everything works! Restarted PC just to be sure and it's all good!

Hope this helps!

0 Likes

I just tried what you said besides this line

1. Disabled windows auto driver update via gpedit.msc

not sure its available on windows 10 home but long story short did not fix things for me. maybe I need to go firmware F3 to F3 again or something

0 Likes

Follow this:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

And make sure you have the driver files while you're offline all the time. And remove via DDU in safe mode.

Install driver offline. Maybe before everything try to go F05 and back to F03 or try resetting your monitor?

I saw someone saying he just shut off his monitor for 1 minute while PC is on, and turning the monitor back on solved the issue for him. Sound silly.

By the way, I do not have the windows update version 21H1 installed yet. Don't know if it's related to the issue.

0 Likes

Where did you get F5? 

When you say reset the monitor do you mean "Reset All" from the monitor on screen settings?

Also which version of OSD sidekick are you using and where did you download it from. I notice you can get newer versions of it listed on other monitors support pages or do we have to use the one on our monitors support area?

0 Likes

I didn't try F05.

Yes, maybe reset the monitor, or the new firmware also resets it.

But now I have a new problem, I also had this with the 21.5 when it was working.

The screen flickers a bit when scrolling, etc... Very annoying.

Edit: The flickering only happens when the screen goes to sleep mode. You need to change the refresh rate and change it back and the flickering goes away.

0 Likes

Had a minor power outage and after turning PC on the 640x480 is back.

Who is responsible for such poor software/hardware?

EDIT: I have managed to fix the issue again after 2 hours.

I removed driver with DDU and installed 21.2.3

I upgraded to F05 and downgraded to F03.

I reset the monitor from the monitor buttons menu.

I updated driver via AMD Radeon Software to 21.7.2 (with factory reset) and all back to normal.

I tried reinstalling the F03 before going to F05 and it didn't work.

I hope this will work next time when this happens because I don't have any new firmware to try.

I was using 21.3.1 and downgraded from F05 to F03 for two months without issues, had several power outages and no issues so far.

But today another power outage hit and I see issue with 640x480 being locked again, DDU ed 21.3.1 and reinstalled, issue is still here.

Visited Gigabyte's firmware download page and I can not find any updated firmwares. only F03 there.

0 Likes

Try to install the F05 again from this link:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15rBhIfkP74Mkq-TljnHPDkbRAtb5LQBb/view?usp=sharing

And downgrade back to F03 and let us know if it fixed the issue.

By the way do you have FI27Q monitor?

I wonder, did you have another monitor connected as an extended display?

0 Likes

Yes, I have FI27Q monitor.

Installing 21.2.3 driver fixed my issue, no need to upgrade F05 then downgrade to F03.

Thanks

p.s. No I have only one monitor.

0 Likes

Yes, but that is an old driver.

We all want to use the newest drivers.

0 Likes

"We all want to use the newest drivers." 

Yes we do why would we want be stuck on drivers over a year old.

and also to answer these questions-

By the way do you have FI27Q monitor? Yes that exact model not the -# versons.

I wonder, did you have another monitor connected as an extended display? Just a single display i've got a second display for testing but its not hooked up all the time.

0 Likes

Did you manage to solve your problem with going to F05 and back to F03?

0 Likes