Flyfisherman
Challenger

Latest driver 21.3.1 locked my monitor to 640x480

GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC
Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
CPU: Ryzen 9 3950X
Memory: 16GB @3200MHz
Monitors: Left main: 27" 2560x1440 secondary right 24" 1920x1080

Radeon Adrenalin  ver. 21.3.1 locked my left hand monitor (2560x1440) to 640x480 and it is impoosible to change the resolution.
My right hand monitor with 1920x1080 works.

My first attempt to install ver. 21.3.1 over powered the my left hand monitor with almost everything so there was not possible to even se anything on the monitor, it went bonkers. The right monitor however worked as befofre.

I had to revert to ver. 21.2.3 and then everythings is ok.

There are some seriuos trouble with the latest driver 21.3.1
Stay away from this update and I think AMD should revoke this from their website.

Best regard from Sweden.

3 Solutions

hope they can fix it, new hdmi 2.1 still ongoing

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Also with hdmi, the aorus FI27Q gives 10 bit color option at only 60HZ.

0 Likes

solve the issue for my on FI27Q

downgrade frimware F03

use amdcleanuputility 

then install new driver

can used DP 2k on 165Hz hope another can fix it to....

203 Replies
Kangaruo
Adept I

Mobo: Asus ROG Z490-E GAMING LGA 1200
CPU: Intel i7 10700K
Memory: 32GB @3200MHz
Monitors: 2 x 2560x1440 connected via Displayport

Radeon Adrenalin  ver. 21.3.1 locked both of my monitors (2560x1440) to 640x480 and it is also impossible to change the resolution.  I also had to revert to my previous drivers, so far that's two of us with very different overall systems but the exact same GPU with a similar issue at 2k resolution.

Possibly an issue with Displayport?  Either way I would love if this was addressed.

0 Likes

Same exact problem, I formatted everything hoping to solve it and I didn't solve anything, I'm "happy" that it's not just my problem ...

0 Likes

Thanks @naigaxeon 

I can also confirm that downgrade the Gigabyte Aorus-F127Q monitor firmware from F05 > F03 works.
Btw. I had to change the refresh rate to 165Hz again after firmware downgrade:
Right click on desktop > display settings > Advanced display settings

Then I tried to upgrade AMD adrenalin from 21.2.3 to 21.3.1 No problem (just for checking) and then upgraded to the latest Adrenalin 21.4.1 and it still works.
So for now I will use Aorus-F127Q firmware F03.

I think it's a serious problem with the F05 firmware together with AMD Adrenalin later 21.x.x s/w versions with DisplayPort, as I suspected in one of my previous posts.

We all with this Gigabyte Aorus-F127Q monitor should make Gigabyte aware of this on their support site, I will do this.
I will mark  @naigaxeon post as the solution, even if it's not optimal, but it works.

Best regards from Sweden

I wrote a few days ago to Gigabyte esupport about this problem with no answer yet.

I wrote too, but when i did it first time they answeared me after one week waiting to check monitor on another pc

Hmm...
Suddenly after playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla (which btw is incredible good 9/10) and with 2560x1440, DP
the graphics driver stopped working and the game crashed.

Eventlog says it was amd driver that had stop function.

OK. But then the monitor went black and after a restart 640x480 and impossible to change.

So for now I'm forced to run with HDMI, which will reduce the capability of my monitor. Only 21.2.3 works for DP.

Why is that AMD has clearly some serious problem with the graphics driver - and yes I tried to only install the latest driver with an older Radeon s/w but no avail.

So one cannot assume this is only ta monitor issue, since its clear that an older driver version works for DP and 21.4.1 for HDMI.
Best regards from Sweden

[Edit] Updated my post.

0 Likes

still used F03 firmware?

i have some isse driver RTO but still can maintain DP cable 165 Hz...
0 Likes

Yes F03 I checked.

0 Likes

sometimes my amd rto, i only setting my RX 5700 XT overclock tuning with "GPU tuning max frequency only 2% (max)" another setting i never touch it wil be issue.."

maybe try DDU and install fresh driver...

and max fan speed you can set 97% (beware the Sound)

power tuning let it default~

hope this can minimum radeon software RTO or crash~

i already have many issue for the "radeon software"
0 Likes

No. It's not a solution and I whish a moderator to take of that so called "solution stample" of the thread for now.

Best regards from Sweden

0 Likes

maybe you can DDU first, then install fresh driver~ "the solution stample" not for everyone~ the software you have maybe for your own problem~ the major issue is~ really for amd or the firmware aorus? i already contact the gigabyte still no reply for the issue~

the monitor seems unique issue~ i have permanent black screen when amd driver RTO/crash/ whatever, but still fresh driver still be issue~ hope you can find your own solution~ try everything you can do, even un orthodox method XD.... just unplug and plug the DP cable~ never use HDMI, try re install window~ or whatever, use new SSD or change something XD... yeah everything you can do~ as long its make 2k and 165 Hz will be back like mine~ i do not post everything i have to do in this thread... happy weekend..
0 Likes

Gigabyte answered: Basically, the monitor may not cause such problem. If possible, please test this monitor with other output cable or test it with other computer and see how it works. No comment...

0 Likes

yeah, the Gigabyte tell me about that~ in the end i mention on this thread~ hope they can verified what i ask again...
0 Likes

The same answeard send to me. F....Y people in Gigabyte. Pieprzcie się tak po ludzku....

0 Likes

Guys i have good news~ but still for me

you need update your OSD SideKick to B21.0325.1 (optional update too RGB Fusion B21.0401.1)

if you cannot update, just uninstall and then install fresh new one...

use your F03 Firmware

after update OSD SideKick then install new F05 Frimware~

then see your Resolution still 2k QHD or 640x480

can you guys test it?? i already have and still QHD 165 Hz.... hope this can solve new problem guys... happy weekend for the rest of us~~~

sorry guys for me had failed, after i shutdown and turn on 2 - 3 hour later (maybe) it go back to 640x480... hm... but its okay i will try change to F03.... hope you guys don't have same problem as for me....
0 Likes

This morning my windows just randomly booted to 640x480, driver was 21.4.1. Downgraded monitor firmware from F05 to F03, used DDU, installed 21.5.1.  Now it works fine. Hoping this is not happening on every driver crash.

0 Likes

yeah, i think we need wait between gigabyte or amd driver for the trouble firmware vs driver~ it's okay we can used first one firmware~
0 Likes
Kangaruo
Adept I

Mobo: Asus ROG Z490-E GAMING LGA 1200
CPU: Intel i7 10700K
Memory: 32GB @3200MHz
Monitors: 2 x 2560x1440 connected via Displayport

Radeon Adrenalin  ver. 21.3.1 locked both of my monitors (2560x1440) to 640x480 and it is also impossible to change the resolution.  I also had to revert to my previous drivers, so far that's two of us with very different overall systems but the exact same GPU with a similar issue at 2k resolution.

Possibly an issue with Displayport?  Either way I would love if this was addressed.

mess
Adept I

Same problem here, but for me it started after 21.1.1 driver version. RX 5700 XT.

naigaxeon
Adept III

Still same, new driver 21.3.2 lock 640x480

resolution

0 Likes
Ray_AMD
Community Manager

Can you provide the exact model numbers of the monitors affected ?

Thanks

0 Likes

For me it is Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q. Hisense 65Q8UF TV works fine.

Serial Number SN20270B003051 Model AORUS FI27Q firmware F05 my spec core i7-4790k RX 5700 XT Nitro+

I have F05 monitor firmware, but it changes nothing. CPU AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor. GPU Saphire RX 5700 XT Nitro.

Monitor: Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q with the latest firmware F05
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX 6900 XT OC

Today I tried with a newer Adrenalin s/w 21.3.2 but my left (main) monitor got locked to 6840x480 as before.
And my right hand monitor 1920x1080 works.
In Windows monitor settings the slider is grayed out on my first monitor.

I even tried to uninstall the monitor from Device manager and shut of the computer completely and unplugged it from the wall outlet and waited for at least 10 minutes (was making coffee) restarted the computer, nothing.
I also have the latest Windows 10 version 20H2 with the important KB5000842 update (a lot of fixes there, but not for this).

Again - I reverted to Adrenalin s/w 21.2.3 and problem solved.
What is going on?

Best regards from Sweden

Btw. One more thing I had to do after I installed the old working driver was to change the monitor max freq. from 60 > 165Hz
it changes this also when it locked the monitor to 640x480

Right click on desktop > display settings  > Advanced display settings (i have Swedish on my Windows).
So make sure that you also have the proper settings (Hz) for Your monitor, otherwise it will be locked to max 60Hz in all games...

Avancerade skärminställningar_.PNG

Thanks for all the feedback, we're looking into the issue.

Same problem here. I installed the latest 21.3.1 and my monitor was locked as a Generic PnP Monitor 640x480. So I uninstalled and go back to AMD Raedon v. 20.12.1 and at least Windows 10 Pro x64 still detects my monitor as a Generic PnP, but with the refresh rate of 165hz and 2560x1440... so for the moment, this is my temporary solution. Thanks.

MightyGuallo_0-1617143544813.png

0 Likes

Just upgrade your monitor.

0 Likes

Why? I only have it 11 months.

0 Likes

solve the issue for my on FI27Q

downgrade frimware F03

use amdcleanuputility 

then install new driver

can used DP 2k on 165Hz hope another can fix it to....

Thank you @naigaxeon for the workaround. I can confirm, that it works with 21.4.1. After all procedure I upgraded my monitor back to F05 and it still works fine. Please be careful with Monitor firmware operations and connect it to the UPS, because any power loss will brick your monitor.  

0 Likes

I Will try update my firmware to F05 hope it Will be fine, just now i Will used F03 for time being .
0 Likes

Loose your hope, I have F05 since last year. Today amd realised new drivers 21.4.1 the same story no fixed displayport 

just drop to F03 like me, then try it~

I wish I could - trying to get F03 form Gigabyte site and - 502 Bad Gateway.

It's working (changing monitor bios from F05 to F03 and then install new drivers)! Thanks @naigaxeon 

It's working for me too. Thanks!!!

0 Likes

I just came to certify that this is the real one solution, which solves our problem. Thank you very much good sir.