cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

audley
Journeyman III

Latest AMD Drivers Prevent Resident Evil 4 from Launching

Hello! This is somewhat of a long shot since Resident Evil 4 is a much older game, but the latest AMD drivers completely prevent Resident Evil 4 from loading (the Ultimate HD Edition from Steam) in any capacity. The game will simply not launch properly. What happens is the game attempts to launch, but minimizes and will not maximize. You can hear sound, but the game won't display at all. This seems to affect any drivers past 21.3.1. The issue goes away and is not present when using 21.3.1 or older. But if I use the latest drivers (21.6.1) it refuses to work.

I understand I may be preaching to the choir here, but I have to at least make an attempt to get the issue fixed. I have heard other people complain on other forums about this specific instance. The only workaround besides reverting to 21.3.1 is to use DXVK. It would be great to get this fixed natively.

What are the odds of this getting fixed?

My rig:

1. Intel i9-10900K
  2. AMD RX 6700 XT
  3. 32GB of RAM
  4. 1440p Monitor
  5. Latest Windows 10
10 Replies
meat
Journeyman III

For reals please fix this, it's stuff like this that makes it difficult to support AMD.

Have you tried reporting this with AMD Bug Report Tool in Radeon Software? This forum is basically just for user-to-user communication and discussion of issues/news/problems/things - AMD representatives rarely ever show up to the cause. As for the drivers - I personally have decided to almost never update the stable ones, even if they're old (sitting on 20.12.1 right now, for instance), because newer drivers tend to screw something up in the System (happened numerous times to me). Only the critical and significantly important driver updates are worthy enough to be downloaded and installed, heh.

W10Pro (22H2)|Kingston A400 240G|ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 (L2.71)|Ryzen 5 5600|ID-Cooling SE-225-XT Black V2|nVidia RTX 3070 FE 8Gb|XPG GAMMIX D10 [2x8GB] DDR4 3200MHz (XMP)|DeepCool PK700D

I submitted a bug report, but my point still stands. You don't see these kind of things on nvidia.

brwlc
Journeyman III

same exact problem got an rx 5700 xt and my buddies rave about how good it is and ive never played its just sitting in my library having yet to be played ;/

Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Please try updating to 21.10.3 and see if the issue still exists.
0 Likes

I have the same problem with 6600XT and the latest driver still the same

0 Likes

I had the same issue with my RX 5700XT using the latest drivers (21.10.4). I got my game working by adding d3d9.dll and dxgi.dll files to the games Bin32 folder. You can try following this guide to see how to get the files. I used the latest version of dxvk linked in the video.

Yes one can use DXVK, the problem is that it is more compatible with Linux and in some scenarios I have experienced it to cause other game-breaking issues in other parts of the game; such as, artefacts, HUD rendering black or not displaying at all, etc.

This will still possibly need some investigation from AMD for you guys, since one wants to be able to force 60Hz refresh rate for games, since some of them are designed for 30FPS or 60FPS and will actually have in internal lock at 60FPS in the game coding.

I know this RE4 has a 60FPS lock option and possibly a 30FPS lock since RE5 and RE6 has 30FPS lock options which definitely makes the games look more movie-like while playing.

Can you explain why you want to update the AMD Driver for an old game that the previous AMD driver that does work correctly should be good enough?

Does the game give you a warning or error message saying you need to update the Graphics Driver?  If it doesn't and the game works fine with the previous AMD driver then there really isn't a need to update the GPU driver in my opinion. Unless you have some newer games that requires the latest driver to work.

0 Likes
hitbm47
Forerunner

Hi @audley 

I can confirm that Resident Evil 4 (Steam HD Version) boots up into the menu on my system with the latest 21.10.3 drivers:

- RX 480 (Polaris card and not Navi)

- Ryzen 5 1600

- 2x 8GB RAM

- Windows 10 64-bit latest build.

- Single Computer Monitor

It is not a long shot at all to expect older games to be compatible, it is completely illogical to expect to keep different systems around or older drivers for slightly older software to be compatible, when they work for other GPU vendors.

@elstaci, since he is on a RX 6700 XT, I suspect he wants the latest drivers to have the best optimizations and compatibility for newer games. Also newer drivers are not supposed to lose optimizations for older software.

What I suspect might be the issue, is that you @audley might be running more than one monitor? I know you only mentioned one, but having extended displays sometimes causes older games like SWAT 4 to crash or not enter full display. If this is the case, you can try changing your screen resolution to only "Show on display 1", if you maybe have your integrated graphics connected to the display as well.

Furthermore, you can try to disable your Intel Integrated Graphics in the BIOS as well, since the game might be trying to render from your Integrated Graphics.

You might also try temporarily disabling FreeSync, since some games try to force a 60Hz refresh and then it clashes with the FreeSync LFC algorithm and causes the display to go black.

Hope some of this helps.

@ScornfulWizard, the problem with the bug report tool is one never gets feedback and the issues are probably treated on a percentage of complaints where some users might not even now their games are possibly performing much worse than they did a few years ago because an optimization was lost, etc. Therefore, one's other best chance is to contact the developers through the OpenGL & Vulkan forum on the DevGuru's. I was able to help them fix graphical issues in RAGE (2011), but it takes a lot of persistence to get these guys to help you; since it is always "the user's fault".

Kind regards

0 Likes