cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

dadabhai
Journeyman III

Re: Latest AMD driver deletes all printers (17.10.1)!!

Jump to solution

Funny that I came across this post, because noticed just today ALL my printers were missing, my actual HP printer as well all the PDF, XPS, Fax, OneNote etc printer objects. At first I simply did a system restore to the last date I had, the 22nd, when a system restore was taken as I was installing AvP Classic 2000. After system restore, the printers were back. However, I had already updated to 17.10.2 when it was released, but then rolled back yesterday to 17.10.1 because GPU scaling is no longer working. On the 22nd, I would imagine I had the 17.10.1 installed. Overall very strange, but it might be a red herring and actually have something to do with MS patches instead. I don't know, either way a system restore fixed it for me.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

I've asked engineering to take a look at this.

alleyviper
Elite

Jump to solution

I've just came across another machine where the same happens when removing 17.10.2 (also AM3 based, but with a more recent Asus M4A89GTD Pro + HD7870) under W10 16299.19. Unfortunately, I won't be able to any more testing on it because the aforementioned GPU is dying (sudden pink/gray screens with checkered artifacts under desktop/3d use) so I had to remove it from the PC. My ancient HD4890 had to go back (incompatible with current drivers). All printers (MS and the network HP printer) were removed after running the 17.10.2 uninstaller.

Btw, for anyone that needs to restore the default Windows printers (Fax/PDF/XPS), just go to Control Panel, Programs and Features, "Turn Windows Features on or off". Find:

Microsoft Print to PDF

Microsoft XPS Document Writer (under 15063.xxx it'll be at the end of the list, with a different name starting with XPS')

Print and Document Services\Windows Fax and Scan

Just unselect them, let windows reboot, and select them again so they'll be reinstalled.

0 Kudos
dadabhai
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I was mucking about with different driver versions, and it the problem definitely occurs on either 17.10.1 and 17.10.2, when doing either of the two:

1. Doing a "Clean Install" using the 17.10.x installer

2. Going to add/remove programs to uninstall 17.10.x manually.

Doing a simple upgrade install, or using the AMDcleanup utility first and then a fresh install, does not cause this problem.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Just a little update, we managed to reproduce the issue.

alleyviper
Elite

Jump to solution

Good news, and thanks for looking into it.

therconjair
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Just had the same thing happen to me. Xerox printer on network and 17.10.3 driver package.

Additionally, Elgato Sound drivers were missing too, along with my Samsung C27HG70 main monitor.

https://community.amd.com/message/2831089#comment-2831089

0 Kudos
barcuslaroche
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Clean install of 17.10.3 deleted Razer Virtual Surround audio driver (and God knows what else) from my PC.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

This issue should now be resolved in Crimson 17.11.1, thanks for being patient folks.

Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.11.1 Release Notes

View solution in original post

calebalexander
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Last night I downloaded and installed Radeon-Pro-Software-17.Q4-Oct25 and that is exactly what happened to me. I did a clean install as usual. It removed ALL my printers. It not only removed my Brother printer, but also the printers for Adobe Acrobat, Snagit, Windows XPS printer just to name a few.

It also deleted my scanner associated with the Brother printer.

And for absolute certain, all those printers were there just prior to the install.

I see that "This issue should now be resolved in Crimson 17.11.1 according to amdmatt. Great (sarcastic). So how do I get all my printers back? Never mind. I have a system image from a few days ago that I will use.

Why is AMD still distributing Radeon-Pro-Software-17.Q4-Oct25 when the solution is in another release? This is very irresponsible.

0 Kudos