cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Re: Latest AMD driver deletes all printers (17.10.1)!!

Jump to solution

Drivers don't need to have any kind of relation, problems can occur if there's a flaw in the uninstall script that points to something it shouldn't.

If I can delete all of my printers just by running the 17.10.1 uninstaller (but not with 17.9.3), something could be wrong with it or fixable, even if this mess up was introduced by the last CU.

Some years ago, the standalone AMD Clean Uninstall Utility at some point had a bug that caused USB problems (even on non-AMD boards) after finishing its job. Things like that can (re)happen.

Elite
Elite

Jump to solution

amdmatt This is interesting news and thanks for all the testing and  information, have you reported this to AMD yet?  Since now it looks like there are more than a single report of this occurrence; there might be an issue. As you pointed out there could be an error in a GUID entry or VID within the .inf's or setup scripts causing the issue, or any number of things to be honest. 

If you haven't reported it, please do that as soon as possible so they are made aware, thanks! You can find a contact form here: Email Form

It also wouldn't hurt to report this issue here as well: http://www.amd.com/report

Be sure to include details such as your exact model of graphics card, PC, OS Ver/Build, and especially what make & model Printer(s) were affected, and whether your default MS PDF printer was removed as well.

Thanks for informing!

Spikeypup

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Please can you provide a DXDIAG report so we can investigate? I will pass this feedback onto enginering, thanks guys.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi amdmatt, I've sent you a PM with a link to the DxDiag.txt file (under 16299.19 and latest Fall Update drivers, a combo that exhibits the problem). I've previously reported the issue with the web form.

The new Beta Fall Update driver uninstaller also removes my printers (default MS Fax, Print to PDF, Microsoft XPS Printer, and Adobe PDF if present), both under current 16299.19 and previous 15063.674 W10.

If there's any other driver install log file that could help to find this issue please tell me.

I also have an unrelated problem to report related to 17.7.2 until 17.10.1 (all inclusive), they all cause issues on my MSI RX480 Gaming X when OC is applied either via Wattman or a reliable 3rd party tool like MSI AB (latest betas). If even a +1MHz OC is applied, when the card plays a video or similar non-3D loads that requires full clocks, voltage will be set constantly to 1.150-1.175V. Because this is a High ASIC card that runs only up to 1.043V under 3D stock (staying at ~1.032V under load), the GPU doesn't like it and ends up artifacting and then crashing the driver or BSOD with garbled screen on deskop/chrome/video use, even if it's stable on 3D (because the correct 1.043V will be used). For most regular ASIC card shouldn't have a problem, but for the few low voltage GPUs it hinders any sort of OC due to unexpectedly high values being applied under certain loads.

The latest WDDM 2.3 drivers like the Fall Update don't suffer this, except if voltage is set to manual under Wattman. These latest drivers branch also have another small issue where applied memory clocks won't stay/show in the wattman respective slider that will always show default 2000, nor will they revert to default when resetting them. When I have time, I'll make a thread or report about it. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Esteemed Contributor III

Jump to solution

You might want to take a look at this current thread about MSI rx-480 : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER - RX 480 - 17.9.3

Jump to solution

The latest 17.10.2 still does it.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

amdmatt​ Just to add, today I've disconnected the HDD drive and left only the SSD for a fresh W10 Fall Update install (from the final release ISO) to check if this could have to do with other drivers or software on my current Windows install that could have cause a registry problem.

I've kept the PC off the internet, and after installing W10 to a clean drive and creating my profile, I've only installed the 17.10.2 drivers. All other devices remained with either default MS drivers, or driverless (like my wifi). After a reboot, I've uninstalled 17.10.2 via CP>Programs and Features,  AMD Software setup. Again, right after the driver was removed, the 3 present default windows printers were gone (Fax, Microsoft print to PDF, XPS Writer). After this I've restored the older SSD image.

Could this be related to something in the way registry entries are created and devices enumerated on old AM3 boards? Again, 17.9.3 and previous drivers never had this problem.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Please try a clean install of Windows 10 again, but this time connected to the internet so that the installer can download the latest updates. Once the installation has finished, please run Windows Update and install all of the available updates. At this stage you can then install the 17.10.2.

Let me know how you get on.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi amdmatt, I've only had time to do it now because it's a lengthy process having to recover the original SSD image after testing.

I've done as you said. Let WU update everything after the first log in, do its restarts until nothing new is found and then install 17.10.2, reboot and uninstall them.

Unfortunately the issue remains: right after the driver is uninstalled via the package setup (even before the bar reaches 100%, and right after the monitor blinks due to driver removal), the three default W10 printers are gone.

It doesn't seem related with 16299.15 or 16299.19 (Latest CU that WU will install) or any extra software that I'm using. Looking back at my posts, the issue first appeared when I've tried 17.10.1 under 15063.674 before the 17th Fall Update, and it won't happen with drivers up to 17.9.3. It happens with the 17.10.1, Fall Update Beta and 17.10.2 uninstaller.

It would be interesting to know if the OPs affected business machines's hardware.

0 Kudos
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

I had the same issue with 17.10.2 but not earlier.

Newest drivers didn't work with all games and the some games crashed after 1 minute of starting (mainly fps games) them, so i reverted to 17.10.1 and they work.

0 Kudos