cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

outlawluke7
Journeyman III

Laptop shuts down due to overheating during gaming.

Laptop Specs: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7 6th Gen, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, AMD Radeon (TM) R5 M335 graphics card.

Game works absolutely fine when not connected to charger. I checked the graphic card usage during game:

• While connected to charger: the GPU is being used between 30–40% while the Intel integrated graphics’ usage goes up to 15–20%. Overheats to 90C+.
  • When not connected to charger: GPU usage is 80% and Intel integrated graphics 1%. Maintains a steady temperature of 69C (normal temperature on standby is 45–50C).

I have deleted the wabmg.exe file as some forums suggested it could be the problem. Did not help. Power settings have been set to same as during charge vs on battery. Yes, I have configured the game on the AMD software as well and have set the specs to absolute minimum of everything (on the AMD software as well as the game settings).

I had this issue with FIFA 14 as well, I can safely say that the problem is due to the system using the Intel integrated graphics during charge. I fixed it around 3 years ago, I just can't remember how. Please help.
#fifa20 #overheating

1 Solution
outlawluke7
Journeyman III

I just figured it out. Follow the following steps:
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings
Scroll down to AMD Graphics Power Settings (click on the + symbol) > AMD Powerplay Settings.
Two options are visible i.e. On Battery and Plugged In. On Battery, the option should be Maximize Battery Life. If the power options on Plugged In is Maximize Performance then this is what is causing the problem. Switch it to Maximize Battery Life and it should work.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
trilok77
Journeyman III

have exact same issue.

if u found any solution please inform me.

0 Likes
outlawluke7
Journeyman III

I just figured it out. Follow the following steps:
Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings
Scroll down to AMD Graphics Power Settings (click on the + symbol) > AMD Powerplay Settings.
Two options are visible i.e. On Battery and Plugged In. On Battery, the option should be Maximize Battery Life. If the power options on Plugged In is Maximize Performance then this is what is causing the problem. Switch it to Maximize Battery Life and it should work.
0 Likes

Yo I have the same exact laptop and I tried everything from cleaning to thermal paste(MX4) and still the laptop overheats and the only way to fix it is to play on battery or use your method but the problem is, this has a huge impact on performance which makes games run on half the fps. Its playable but can be a bit frustrating. 

Another solution is to switch your game to the integrated graphics which has proper throttling(doesn't overheat and shutdown unlike AMD graphics) but you need a high RAM which your laptop is fine but my laptop is the model which comes with 8GB RAM only so thats not a good option for me.

0 Likes