Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

lterates
Newcomer

Laptop overheats and hard crashes if I'm doing anything remotely demanding

Hi there,

I've been having this issue for months now but I finally gave up, so you guys are my last hope

I have a Toshiba Satellite L50-B1156 laptop, which runs on 8gigs of RAM, an AMD R7 M260, and an i7-4500U clocked at 1.80GHz (with turbo boost up to 2.8GHz I think) with intel graphics HD 4400 and it's running Windows 10 64bit. Extra info: I have the laptop on a desk, raised a few centimetres so there's enough air to go through the vents and all

I bought this laptop way back in 2014 and it was fine for a couple of years, but it started overheating about two years ago. And when I say it overheats, I mean it. It goes up to 100ºC and hard crashes. Turns off instantly.

So first I thought it was the vents, so I cleaned the fan and the heatsink, and it fixed it.... for a while. A few months go by and I'm back at it, so I clean the fans and the heatsink again. This time, it didn't fix it at all. Since then it's been getting worse and worse. I has come to the point where it overheats when watching something on youtube for a while.

I've tried rolling back on amd driver updates and it didn't work. I tried the amd settings on the control center, and the power settings too (system cooling policy is active both on battery and plugged in). I've tried intel drivers too. I've even checked to see if it was a problem with the thermal compound, which I was almost sure it was a fix, and it wasn't.

I have literally no clue on what to do and I really can't afford a new PC anytime soon, so this really is my last hope. You guys are smarter than me so I'm passing this challenge onto your hands

I'll provide any additional info if you need

0 Likes
0 Replies