cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Danayer
Journeyman III

lack of brightness adjustment and some users have artifacts on the standard Bios settings

Lenovo ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH05
Lenovo ideapad Gaming 3 15ARH05 (82EY00BDRU)

AMD Ryzen 7 4800H processor

64 GB RAM

AMD Radeon RX Vega 7 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile (TU117) Graphics Cards

SSD A-Data Legend 710 1TB (2 pieces)

There are two fairly ancient problems with this laptop, which I have already sent to amd 10 times to analyze and solve the problem accordingly, unless of course it is a malfunction on their part.

Problem 1.

It consists in the presence of a black screen (the mouse is visible on it without artifacts) when installing the latest AMD drivers starting with driver 23.5.1, as well as artifacts on the screen, all tests using an external screen in the Lenovo Diagnostics Evolution program, this laptop passes, including extended testing of the integrated graphics card. Lenovo Vantage also passes rapid testing without any problems.

The problem can only be solved in one way, which I came to using the poke method, but still it's a crutch. We need to have additional bios parameters unlocked and allocate 1GB of memory to the integrated graphics card instead of automatic 512MB, which solves the problem with artifacts and a black screen.

Using the official driver from Lenovo, which is located on the official website, is not possible, since when installing it, Nvidia and AMD video cards lose Vulkan support. It is solved only by installing the latest drivers, which firstly have problem number 1, and there is also a second problem that has befallen quite a large number of users.

Video of this problem and its solution

Problem

Decision

Problem 2.

Problem two is the inability to adjust the screen brightness on the latest AMD drivers starting from 23.7.1 (if I'm not mistaken).

There is, of course, a way to solve this on the latest drivers, but it is even more crutchy and works extremely strangely. Lenovo diagnostic programs also do not see the problem, but many complain about it on 4pda, so I think this problem is much more massive than the first one.

The method itself is described by me on the 4pda forum. (If necessary, I can provide it here)

I will ask everyone who has at least one of the problems to write in this topic that this is not an isolated case.

0 Likes
3 Replies
FunkZ
Exemplar

It is a shame that a laptop that was launched only 3 years ago gets little support from Lenovo.

But unfortunately the issues you describe such as lack of brightness controls are due to using generic AMD drivers on a 3rd party built system. For full system integration functionality you have to use the drivers provided by Lenovo. Further BIOS options are solely within the scope of the system builder.

Recommend you contact Lenovo support and address your BIOS and driver concerns.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
pepsi_max2k
Journeyman III

Thanks Danayer, you just solved the brightness change issue on a Legion 5 15ARH05H for me. Just wondering if you know why this works? Just seems to create another freesync range entry :o| And why do you mean it works strange?

Anyway, for anyone wondering, here's the solution: 

- download ToastyX's Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

- Run CRU, click Add under Extension Blocks, then click Add under Data Blocks.

- Select Freesync Range, then type in your monitor's range (likely 60-120, or 60-144, but it'll tell you in the AMD Adrenaline software under Display > Display Specs > Freesync Range if you dont know) then click OK everywhere to exit.

- now run restart64. Monitor will flicker, then boom, brightness change works.

0 Likes

The following response was received from the technical department: "Lenovo supports only the functionality that is critical for using the device, for example, the presence of brightness control, as well as the absence of any artifacts on the screen. Since the device works correctly on driver versions 27.20.11028.10001 and 30.0.14.7219, it is recommended to use these versions.
Additionally, there is no way to guarantee the performance or compatibility of third-party software.
In this situation, the device should work without problems when using standard libraries for working with images and graphics, for example DirectX 12."

To be honest, I am shocked by this answer 

0 Likes