Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

yurtesen
Miniboss

kodi crash with amdgpu-pro at amdgpu_query_gpu_info

Hello,

I am trying use the 16.60 driver with A10-7870K and Ubuntu 16.04.

I am running KODI and it crashes. I have the 'kodi' user in the 'video' group.

I have attached the crash log. I hope AMD developers see this...

Thanks!

24 Replies
yurtesen
Miniboss

Re: kodi crash with amdgpu-pro at amdgpu_query_gpu_info

I tried to run https://wiki.maemo.org/SimpleGL_example  and it also segfaults....

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

try another media player, might be a problem with kodi and recent drivers?

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

It crashes at EGL initialization. Apparently this problem existed since mid-2016.

Everything that uses EGL segfaults with AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu 16.04? - Phoronix Forums

Also the small test code I put the link to crashes exactly same way. It is unbeliveable I don't know why they wouldn't fix it by now...

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

this is why i suggest something else

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

As I mentioned, I already tried the sample EGL program which is something else than KODI. But the point is that the basic sample should not crash. Because if you look at the code it crashes when eglInitialize() called before doing anything. It would simply be waste of time to try other programs unless you can tell me why the sample code is incorrect.

Also similar problems are  reported by other users using other software on other cards (also with 16.60)

amdgpu-pro-16.50 Segfault

0 Likes
nahsin
Journeyman III

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 16.10. Thanks for bring this up yurtesen.

yurtesen
Miniboss

I had another more general thread for this problem:
All apps which use EGL crash
But as you can see, I got the blanket 'we don't support' answer. (BTW the answer did not make any sense to me)

So, you may as well switch to a competitor's product. At least I am tired of making bug report after bug report to hear that AMD does not support anything. This is bad for their business. I want to buy AMD hardware and I can't because they don't receive proper support.

kired75
Journeyman III

Read the other thread but could no reply there. I can understand they need to work and test the fix, but sure would be nice if in the meantime they could give at least some sort of workaround.

0 Likes
yurtesen
Miniboss

@kired75 as far as I understood, this issue will not be fixed. AMD does not even acknowledge that the issue is a bug in the driver, they gave no indication that they have intentions to fix it.

0 Likes