cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Skrybe
Challenger

Kernel-Power Shutdowns Caused By Fast Boot

So I've noticed a minor problem with the 22.3.1 drivers. I've had a couple Windows shutdowns where on restart the "Default radeon wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure" message pops up and I have to reapply my saved settings.

These have not been unexpected shutdowns, I've literally closed Windows properly from the Start Menu. It doesn't happen on a "Restart Windows" only when I do a shutdown and power on again later. As far as I can tell it happens everytime. Not a huge problem but it's a little annoying having to manually go in and reapply settings.

edit: Ok, I might have jumped the gun blaming Wattman here. On a whim I checked the event log and for some reason my last few shutdowns are showing as Kernel-Power, lost power unexpectedly. So for some weird reason a proper shutdown is not actually shutting down properly. So I guess this is more of a MS issue.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Just to clear things up, my last few shutdowns have been because power was going out so electricians could do work. So I shut down the PC then power to the house was turned off. After doing some checking I had fast boot turned on, which effectively means the PC is not "off" when you shutdown, it's just hibernating. So when the power goes out completely that is disrupted and Windows considers that an unexpected shutdown.

I've turned off fast boot and the problem is resolved. Generally it's not recommended to turn Fast boot off, since it's quicker to wake up from hibernation than a genuine power off. But the only time I turn my PC off is when I want it *fully* off, so works for me. Apologies to AMD for blaming them for what is a Windows quirk I was unaware of.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Nezkoot
Adept I

Sadly these latest drivers are insanely unstable, everyone in my group (4 ppl) with varying configs (5600x, 5800x, 5900x and different 6000 series models) are having ABSURD stability issues with 22.3.1, wattman resets, screen artifacting and general instability from every couple minutes to a few hours.

In short, for each and every one of us, downgrading to 22.1.2 has fixed all these issues.

I'm more amazed how anyone can run this driver stable tbh, since we're completely unable to.

I used to experience frequent issues form Global Wattman from the latter end of the AMD HD 7000 series GPUs all the way up to my current Power Color Demon RX 6900 XT.

What I found that greatly reduces this issue is deleting the windows update cache once a month or anytime a Global Wattman error occurs. 

You may also want to run a Command Prompt as admin sfc /scannow to check OS file integrity.

Also a Command Prompt CHKDSK C:/f for a quick check of your storage integrity or CHKDSK C:/r for an in depth check of your storage integrity (warning the CHKDSK C:/r also scans storage core drivers and takes on average 1 hour to complete).  

You may have to adjust GPU VRAM and FPS levels until you find that sweet optimal operation range for your particular builds.

I've had to do this with every system I built. They can have identical hardware and software but their performance characteristics can vary slightly or greatly. 

0 Likes

Na dude we good, reverting to a previous driver fixed the problems for all of us and we can survive without the nice features for now. All of our tuning profiles work just fine again too.

0 Likes

if I set custom setting it auto restore default setting and again give me a surprise" WattMan settings has been restored due to unexpected system failure" please remove these useless updates

0 Likes

Just to clear things up, my last few shutdowns have been because power was going out so electricians could do work. So I shut down the PC then power to the house was turned off. After doing some checking I had fast boot turned on, which effectively means the PC is not "off" when you shutdown, it's just hibernating. So when the power goes out completely that is disrupted and Windows considers that an unexpected shutdown.

I've turned off fast boot and the problem is resolved. Generally it's not recommended to turn Fast boot off, since it's quicker to wake up from hibernation than a genuine power off. But the only time I turn my PC off is when I want it *fully* off, so works for me. Apologies to AMD for blaming them for what is a Windows quirk I was unaware of.

Latest driver (22.3.2) fixed all my instability issues with no other changes required, all my overclocking profiles are stable and no issues appeared after a day of intense testing.

22.3.1 would crash without fail within 30 minutes.

0 Likes

AMD Graphic card working without Error are joking ???. I am using Windows 11 latest version and AMD driver's latest version and facing timeout error I have tried some tutorials but they didn't work. I don't have much time every day to search for solutions for their product errors. They are adding new features. but they ignore the comfortability of drivers. old version software working fine but after some time when they detect and update the driver automatically, it starts showing errors.

1.png2.png3.png

0 Likes