cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pusansen99
Adept II

Issus with installing 19.5.2/19.6.1 on Windows 10(1903)

When I'm trying to install Radeon 19.5.2/19.6.2 it's crashing my entire system and pc is getting stuck while trying to boot. Although it works fine in 1803.

1 Solution
chris_matt47
Adept I

Guys!! Its fixed, (well for me atleast) 
Install the latest 19.7.1 optional drivers. Everything works well now! Finally!
I did a clean install so would recommend that.

View solution in original post

166 Replies

On a laptop Lenovo 110-15ACL -{ AMD A6-7310 with integrated AMD Radeon R4 Graphics(1Gb) + discrete AMD Radeon R5 M430 (2Gb) + 8Gb RAM + 240 ssd } with Win10 1903 only the driver from the laptop site works, this is 17.7.1 (driver ver. 21.19.512.0 March 2017  
https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/d6lv03af.exe 

BUT all the driver versions work on the Win10 1809

I have so far Win10 1809 LTSC, I am waiting for a fully working driver to go to 1903 :-)

p.s.

I understand that this laptop is an old model, but still

0 Likes
alonemrinal
Adept I

So. After installing CPU-Z and experimenting things, this I could find.

CPU-Z doesn't show Graphic card at all. It only shows 512MB integrated R5. The drop-down is also grayed out. Screenshot below

cpuz_1cOXvemUmY.png

When I disabled the R5, it shows other card in menu but when selected it doesnt show any details.

mmc_xSD89oFyGh.png

cpuz_Nki6L4xU63.png

This is all messed up. AMD Compute LibrariesAMD Manageability Community‌ ANYONE LISTENING SINCE 3 WEEKS NOW?

0 Likes
craftthedragon
Journeyman III

Okay. I had almost the same issue with my laptop (HP Pavillion aw000 series, AMD A9-9410 chipset, GPUs: R5 and R7 M340). Constant driver crashing made it impossible to use dedicated GPU, I had to forcible switch to bulit-in GPU just to be able to use my laptop. I tried everything: downgrading my Windows 10 and/or AMD drivers, installing drivers from Windows Update or HP Support page for my laptop, make changes and 'tweaks' to the Windows registry, even tried to downclock my dedicated GPU. Nothing worked. Until I stumbled upon a solution almost by accident. Backstory: when I bought this laptop, I almost immediately removed DVD-drive (I just don't use it, and it's a dead weight for me) and installed second HDD caddy. I didn't install second HDD, just used caddy as a 'plug' for DVD-drive hole. And yes, I thought it was problem with the caddy, so I removed it, but constant driver crashing still presisted. But the problem was solved, when I got second SSD and installed in the caddy. I don't know how it works, I don't know if it helps someone here, but what I understood: SATA-port for DVD-drive needs to be powered for AMD drivers to stop crashing. So if you have similar problem and removed DVD drive, try to install it back, or install second SSD/HDD, or anything you can imagine to power DVD SATA-port. Now I'm running Windows 10 1903 with the latest 19.6.2 drivers from AMD website, and have no crashes at all.

0 Likes
inthey2k
Adept II

I am not entirely sure if the problem you are describing is the same as the one, which this thread is treating. Drivers aren't "crashing", it's that we don't see anything at all but a black screen and circling dots or just a mouse pointer. 

Seems like Windows 1903 does not deem the latest AMD drivers as correct ones and either overwrites them with WU ones or uninstalls them.

The AMD support got back to me today and told me to refer to my laptop's manufacturer (Acer) for the best drivers as my system allegedly is using "customized hardware". Aha. The drivers on the Acer support page haven't been updated since 2015 (last version 15.201.1101.0). So, this can neither be the problem nor the solution, as all is running well with Windows 1803 and 1809, but just not 1903. This aspect, they keep avoiding in their replies. I wonder why.

0 Likes
elpetano
Adept I

Oh wow! I uninstalled 1903 a month ago and now I see, that AMD still haven't fixed it. It's 1 month omg! What are they doing?

0 Likes
jdrobinson314
Challenger

For all others. And In the meantime, if you are new to this conversation, it will help to know the specifics of your hardware ( preferably in detail ) such that any reference to the difficulty of upgrading both windows 1903.x and adrenalin drivers 19.x can be succinctly pointed out for future reference.

0 Likes
elpetano
Adept I

Oh! I just realized that I can't use any Microsoft Office program! (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc.)

The driver just brokes it completely and I don't see anything.

Before you'll ask ... Yes I have legal copy of MS Office 2019 and everything works on 18.7.2 (AMD Radeon Version)

It doesn't work on 19.5 and 19.6.3

here you can find some screenshots 

Broken MS Office - Album on Imgur 

0 Likes

It's a problem with dedicated GPU and MS Office hardware acceleration function. I had the same. What you can do:
1. Try and make MS Office apps to run on built-in GPU. I couldn't do it — AMD Drivers automatically run it on dedicated GPU, ignoring my settings, I don't know why.

2. Disable hardware acceleration in any MS Office app settings. If you can't access settings ('cause you can't see any text), go to Control Panel — Power Settings — Change Power Scheme — Change Additional Parameters — Switchable GPUs and change it to 'forcible use built-in GPU' (naming may not be precise, I have another system language). Then launch any Office app (Word, for example), go to Settings — Advanced, scroll down about halfway, find something like 'Disable hardware acceleration' and tick the checkbox. Then you can revert your power scheme to previous settings, and every Office app should look normal when running on dedicated GPU.

You need to report it to AMD and share your picture with them:  Online Service Request | AMD 

0 Likes

But don't expect actual support. They will suggest you make a clean install of Windows to see if that works. Their last resort will be contacting the laptop manufacturer.

They're either clueless or don't feel like helping.

May be exactly true but it is the only way they give us to communicate. Yes the level one support guys will read from a script and give generic answers but hopefully they also pass the issues up the line. I can tell you one thing for sure. They haze zero knowledge of your issues if you don't tell them this way. It is your only option, however bad it is.

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

pastedImage_1.png

So, just tried OBS with Radeon ReLive 17.2.1 drivers, and... this happens in all recordings. Is this has something to do with OBS itself or the driver can't be used?

EDIT: It seems that this also happened when recording with Game Bar. I think it has something to do with hardware-based screen recording or VLC itself.

0 Likes

I think you have to switch OBS to "Power Saving" mode in Driver, I had same problem and it halped.

0 Likes

I already set it to Power Saving mode.

0 Likes
pcguy25
Adept I

Disable hardware acceleration in VLC's settings and videos should look normal.

0 Likes

Oh hey, that works! Thanks.

Setting the decoding to DXVA 2.0 seems work as well.

0 Likes
tikolo
Adept II

I hope next WHQL driver will work correctly with the old laptop with mobile , APU, discrete card (my R5 M430 + A6-7310 with R4, & R7, &.....)

0 Likes
chris_matt47
Adept I

Yes,it also works on my computer.This issue is finally solved!It's been too long time!

Oh goodness gracious, it works for me too!

Mee too! So great they owned the issue and fixed it, thank you AMD.

Everything works for me too Finally tho

I dunno if it's caused by the driver or my laptop's acting up but: [19.7.1] Programs won't use selected Switchable Graphics 

Something's wrong with Switchable Graphics and assigned programs locked up to their default GPU.

0 Likes

chris_matt47 wrote:

Thanks a lot man it worked for me i was having the same problem

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

Going to stay at 17.2.1 until the Switchable Graphics bug fixed since I need to use OBS for a project, because Xbox DVR seems to hate Gmod.

0 Likes
inthey2k
Adept II

Anybody else for whom 19.7.1 solved the compatibility problem with Windows build 1903? 

I am still hesitant... Installing the whole thing and going back to the previous build three times already wasted enough of my precious life time and before I do it again I want to be certain that I stay there this time around. :-)

0 Likes

I tried it and it works. Solved the problem and games are running smooth.

Were. Another Windows cumulative update hit yesterday and I am seeing things like visual artifacts. Sometimes texts are jumbled or icons are missing. overall runs ok if reopened but today it is not there yet. Will report back.

19.7.1 fixes the problem for me too.

littlecube141
Journeyman III

i have the lenovo y700 15acz, the update fixed mine, but the gaming experience sucks now on pretty much all of my games. i have everything the same as before, with putting my games on high performance with the R9, but doesn't seem like it is even working.. the fps for LoL sucks.

0 Likes
tikolo
Adept II

Need to fix graphics switching. In some games it switches to discrete graphics, And in 50% of games you need to turn on "Maximum Performance" in order for the game to work on a discrete .Снимок экрана (5).png

Thanks. the bottom one was at max. still same issue...

0 Likes

I manually set brave browser to use the discrete graphics card to test switchable graphics and it doesn't seem to work, it defaults back to using the integrated graphics. And if you look at windows task manager for the gpus only the integrated looks like it is getting recognised in windows 10. All the graphs are completely inactive for the discrete graphics card. I'm using 19.7.2. 

0 Likes

I am still on 1803 and in my Task Manager I don't see any activity on "GPU 1 (Link 0) AMD Radeon R7 M265" either. I am on driver version 19.7.1. 

Don't remember to have looked at those graphs before. Therefore, I can't tell if this was like that before or not. 

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

And yet, AMD AMF Encoder for OBS and the Display Capture source cannot be used with discrete graphics. If that's not true then the driver itself might be the issue the plugin won't work.

0 Likes
carrylif3
Journeyman III

i m using currently  19.7.2 still it is not fixed i think it is windows probelm :/

0 Likes

@carrylif3 

What exactly isn't fixed? You mean Windows won't show login page and stays stuck at the circling dots screen after reboot?

0 Likes
inthey2k
Adept II

Just out of curiosity: Has everybody successfully made the move to 1903 now? I'm still on 1803, because since a while ago my update page says that my system isn't ready yet for the update and that I will be notified when it is. That wasn't there before. Must've come with a recent Tuesday's patch. Hence, I keep waiting still.

0 Likes

If you have pretty much anything plugged into a USB port other than a mouse and keyboard, it is telling people it is not ready. If you want to know if it can load go to the media creation tool site and do the upgrade to 1903 from there. It will download a file that will check if you machine is ready and you can go from there.

Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File) 

In fact I do have an external hard drive connected all the time (my backup drive). I wasn't aware that this could cause windows to think my system isn't ready. I'll try and reboot without the drive and see what happens. Thanks for the hint.

EDIT: Nope, even with the laptop bare of any external devices (even mouse and keyboard), it still says my device isn't ready yet. The list of reasons that may keep a device from being considered compatible for the update is long. May come down to an outdated Qualcomm WiFi driver.

Up until now I had been using the Upgrade Manager, which would check the system and download the update if it's compatible. I had done this three times, only to end up with the black screen problem. As I have a limited download volume by my internet provider I can't afford to re-download Windows at will. Then I tried using the ISO file, but got the wrong language version, which wouldn't let me keep my data but insisted on a clean install... aaargh... but I digress.

Right now the best decision seems to be to wait until Microsoft deems my laptop (or their package) fit for the updated. 

I was just curious if the black screen issue has been resolved with everybody's systems...

Cheers,

Sascha

0 Likes