cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pusansen99
Adept II

Issus with installing 19.5.2/19.6.1 on Windows 10(1903)

When I'm trying to install Radeon 19.5.2/19.6.2 it's crashing my entire system and pc is getting stuck while trying to boot. Although it works fine in 1803.

1 Solution
chris_matt47
Adept I

Guys!! Its fixed, (well for me atleast) 
Install the latest 19.7.1 optional drivers. Everything works well now! Finally!
I did a clean install so would recommend that.

View solution in original post

166 Replies

Well then, as Windows didn't stop me, telling me to update the .NET framework, I presume it's safe to say that this wasn't the problem.

Though, now you mention the VMWare topic. I do have VMWare Workstation installed on my system as I have to run a virtual box with MacOS for recurring tests. What exactly would I have to disable in that context?

Cheers

0 Likes

Version 19.5.2 was updated on 3/6/2019 but I do not dare to try because the problems I experienced.

0 Likes
zulluhitam
Journeyman III

AMD please do something, i all ready erase mu windows.old

0 Likes

Some things to try.

Use a working driver, whatever isn't crashing. 

Create a restore point, as others have here.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027538/windows-create-a-system-restore-point 

Remove old versions of windows properly. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028075/windows-delete-your-previous-version-of-windows 

Clean up system files using built in tools.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026616/windows-10-disk-cleanup There is a button for system files in this same dialog system, do this as well.

You may want to verify the integrity of windows. Actually, I strongly recommend it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026529/windows-10-using-system-file-checker

Some of you may have virus scanning from 3rd parties running, try turning these off when installing 19.5.2 and while verifying the integrity of windows 10 1903.

The verification process can take a while, and cleaning up the background files can also be time consuming. Particularly if you've gone through some sort of 8.1 -> 10 windows update. Your winswsx folder or similar folder may be overflowing with nonsense files, these are still used by windows for some reason but may be cleaned up using methods listed above through os interaction.

Download 19.5.2 directly and execute this as administrator. 

0 Likes
tikolo
Adept II

Someone put the driver 19.6.1 for 1903 ?? works???

0 Likes

19.6.1 is working fine for me, but I didn't have any problems installing 19.5.2 either.

There's nothing in the patch notes to indicate any problems mentioned in this thread were fixed.

rawintellect
Miniboss

19.6.1 is out...and installed on my machine running windows 1903.19.6.1.jpg

And this even survived reboot? I've seen that screen numerous times, seemingly working, but after a restart it was chaos again.

0 Likes

Yes. It survived a reboot. I upgraded my chipset drivers and have not had a problem installing drivers since.

jdrobinson314
Challenger

Just going to point this out. Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.6.1 Release Notes | AMD 

If anyone is continuing to have issues, and I'm sure there are a few people, then perhaps start a new thread "Problems installing 19.6.x" such that all releases for 19.6 are covered and the topic remains up to date.

tetriser
Adept II

OK so, when I was installing the affected drivers, after a few screen blinks, the installer's window suddenly became rounded, and being wiggly when I drag it.

Is this an early symptom that Windows is acting up with the drivers?

Anyway, 19.6.1 seems didn't worked either.

0 Likes

Did you disable fast startup and run DDU to start with a clean slate before 19.6.1? I'm asking because I had issues with the last driver too and the 19.6.1 driver is working for me now.

0 Likes

I'll try again with that soon.

OK, I already have Fast Startup disabled. Uninstalled using DDU and attempted a reinstall, but:

- BSOD on first installation (the BSOD zoomed in for unknown reasons for me)

- Black screen on second installation

These happened during the driver installation phase, even with the latest chipset drivers installed.

0 Likes

Same here. 19.6.1 doesn't work for me either. Always ends up in the black screen with the mouse pointer during installation.

This time, I had installed 19.6.1 even BEFORE updating Windows to 1903 but to no avail, though it's working perfectly fine on 1803.

After the update procedure it would again say "no AMD drivers installed or not functioning properly" and installing Radeon software again results in the black screen.

So I had to revert to my previous Windows version yet again, for the third time now. I'm really sick of this. :-(

guppy0
Adept I

OK found a temporary solution! or a work around.

Been following this thread to see if there is a solution for this AMD APU bug and it seems no one can figure it out and so I found a way of getting the drivers working for APUs!!! kind of...

So I was having the same problem....updating to windows 10 may update 1903 and installing latest drivers give you a non functional desktop. I have a dual graphics setup radeon 8330 + 8670.

Noticed the drivers are working on installing them but after reboot they sometimes work...it's after the pci device driver installs and you reboot it doesn't work. So i removed the drivers completely in safe mode, reinstalled the windows update drivers 2015 ones. Copied the 8.14.xx pci device driver into a separate folder, installed the 19.6.1 driver, went into safe mode and wrote over the 2019 pci bus driver with the older 2015 working pci bus driver which is called the amdkmpfd.sys file in /WIndows/system32/drivers. And I can boot again with the new driver! But as soon as you reboot it installs the newer driver for the pci bus again, so you're ok until you next need to reboot and do the procedure again at least. Maybe you could delete the new pci bus driver completely from the system somehow and stop it from reinstalling on reboot. I havent tried that yet.

And if I go into setttings it says I only have a 8330...it doesnt recognise the discrete 8670. But for a temporary fix it works at least alot better than the 2015 version of the driver. I had some kernel power lost type crashes and odd window focus problems with that driver. At least this way you can have an easier time until this problem is resolved, just don't reboot! unless needed.

Also this points to the problem being a compatibility problem between the new Windows 10 update and AMD drivers, as on 1809 all the drivers work fine. So there is something changed in the way Windows 10 works with the AMD pci bus as the AMD graphics driver provides this incompatible pci bus driver 19.20.0.1000 which is dated 20/03/2019, its a few months older than the may update and so probably needs to be updated to work with the new Windows 10 update. So it looks like it's definitely a communication issue with the way the new windows 10 system changes on the may update communicates with the hardware on the pci bus.

Hope this helps

gup

@guppy0 Thanks for the detailed description of your workaround, but this sounds really cumbersome to do on every restart. I prefer waiting until either Microsoft or AMD fix this incompatibility on their end.

Meanwhile, to make AMD more aware of the acuteness of the problem, I suggest everybody fill out the bug report form here to describe the problem (it even offers "black screen during installation" as possible symptom in a selection list, which tells me they know about such issues already): AMD Issue Reporting Form 

That's OK, i wanted to help.

You know that once you have the 2015 amdkmpfd.sys file you can just go to safe mode on a reboot and copy it over the 2019 one and reboot normally and it works again?

You don't have to do the whole lot again once you have the file, only once to get the working driver.

Anyone know how to let microsoft know about this issue. Would the feedback hub in windows 10 be a good way?

0 Likes

I'm part of the insiders community and I've sent them feedback about this. But it wont be fixed unless its flagged as a priority issue affecting a large number of people. Lets hope that they patch this quickly 

0 Likes
tetriser
Adept II

Any updates so far? I hope this won't take too long to fix.

0 Likes
chris_matt47
Adept I

I'm facing the same issue and boy was i glad to find out that I'm not alone.
My configuration is
Hp Pavilion 15 ab035ax Notebook
Processor: AMD A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 graphics
RAM: 8 GB
Discrete Graphics: Radeon R7 M360

Been facing the black screen with spinning circle issue after reboot after installing 19.4.1, 19.5.1, 5.2 and 19.6.1.
At present I'm using the drivers provided by Windows Update which are the 15. something ones. They allow basic functionality but the system hangs when i plug in my phone for file transfer or anything and only responds after i unplug it. I cant run any games as well.
I tried searching for chipset drivers for mine, but i don't think there are any. If anyone could help me find them it would be much appreciated. I tried a couple third party driver updaters and they don't show any updates for the chipset.

0 Likes
guppy0
Adept I

So does this effect single APU setups, dual graphics only or both I wonder...? Everyone seems to have dual graphics with this problem right?

0 Likes

There seems to be a growing consensus that this is true. TLDR; Old Jerry rigged AIB partner motherboards of the mobile variety aren't faring well with the newest updates. Most of us with discrete GPUs or generally newer hardware are able to proceed with the upgrades, however, a few here as well as several other independent threads on this forum are left in a broken state when they have an integrated M and board bound GPU in a custom board configuration.

This is simply due to the ends of life support for those configurations - they will need to fall back to the last known good driver and A) test for stability and functionality and B) wait for windows update itself to give them the WHQL driver when it passes the testing requirements. 

0 Likes

all setups. since I only have a Vega 8 graphics. Though 19.5.1 and up works for me IF i have uninstalled/disabled Hyper-V/Containers Windows Component. If I have those enabled. I will end up with the same symptoms as the others

0 Likes
pusansen99
Adept II

can someone tell me the correct chipset drivers for AMD k16 imc.
Thank You

0 Likes
pusansen99
Adept II

I tried 19.6.1 but still no result.
now I feel rolling back to 1803 might be a better option.

0 Likes
inthey2k
Adept II

Looks like Microsoft acknowleged that "a few clients" have problems with a black screen after upating to 1903. 

See last item in list "Known Issues" of this Knowlege Base article: https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4503327/windows-10-update-kb4503327?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=hL... 

0 Likes

howtogeek.com: How to Fix a Black Screen After Updating Windows 10.
https://www.howtogeek.com/425382/how-to-fix-a-black-screen-after-updating-windows-10/

For those experiencing a black screen.

That's the same non-related issue for the cumulative update from June, which I posted above, yesterday. But like pcguy25‌ already mentioned, this has nothing to do with our problem here.

When I'm facing the black screen, nothing will work anyway. No Ctrl-Alt-Delete, nor anything. The screen stays black. It's not only Windows related but driver related. But I do believe that Windows got it's part in it, as the same drivers that seem to cause problems work fine on older Windows builds. I'm back on Windows 1803 and I'm using Radeon software 19.6.1 without any glitches.

littlecube141
Journeyman III

I have a lenovo y700-15acz and tried updating to the newest update and its causing some games to have a black screen. complete black screen including Firefox and league of legends. i had to revert back to 19.4.1. I emailed AMD, but have not received any response back and its been over a week or so. i reinstalled windows 10 twice and same result. im running build 1903 as well. Other than that my system is running ok, but i feel like one of the older updates for my gpu worked better but cant find which one that it ran smooth on. Hope you find a fix cause this is kinda annoying.

0 Likes
mir
Adept I

Seems like 19.6.2 works now even if I have enabled Hyper-V/Containers. already restarted a couple of times now and wasn't getting the black screen after restart
pastedImage_1.png

Sounds good! I am currently in a dialog with AMD support and the clerk asked me if I had tried 19.6.2 already. If more people will report back that their problem has been resolved with 19.6.2, I will give it a try. But I need to have a decent amount of confidence that I won't download and install 1903 for a fourth time in vain. :-(

why not wait for it to go to recovery mode and just go for Safe Boot? no need to reinstall the whole os.

^^^ +1

0 Likes

@mir What do you want to achieve in Safe Mode?

When I get the black screen I do not have many choices. I could go into safe mode, uninstall all the drivers, boot back into system and reinstall them, and then what? After next reboot they're gone again. I tried that. Several times. It's the apparent incompatibility of the AMD drivers with windows 1903 under certain conditions. 

The AMD support hasn't been of great help so far. I reported the issue with "a problem with the graphics driver under 1903" and they had me run DxDiag to get my system configuration. Of course, I had to do this in Windows 1803, as my computer does not work with 1903 (well, it does, I just don't see anything). Their ingenious answer today was that they don't see me running Windows 1903 from my configuration file and that I should update to 1903 first, before installing driver versoin 19.6.2. DOH! They completely ignored my question if 19.6.2 specifically addresses such an issue. 

By the way, 19.6.2 is running fine on my 1803.

0 Likes

19.6.2 according to an AMD Mod is actually from a branch older than 19.5.1 or.2. Since 19.5.2 also seemed to be problematic for many. I suggest you run DDU from safe mode and install 19.5.1. I am running it on 5 different AMD cards in 1903 with zero issues. 

0 Likes

It's not like I haven't tried that. Doesn't work on mine. :-(

0 Likes
tikolo
Adept II

Guys, and the black screen 1903 on laptops fixed with the new driver ????? Just do not want to put again 1903 and roll back again :-(  descrete  R5 M430

0 Likes
patrickstar777
Journeyman III

Same chipset, same Problem.

0 Likes
zulluhitam
Journeyman III

Finnaly, some hope. I manage to instal 17.2.1 , and work like a charm. still waiting AMD to release update that compatible with my chipset

0 Likes