cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

caedhros
Journeyman III

Issue with dual screen through AV receiver

My setup is a Radeon R9 390X running 18.3.2 drivers on Windows 10 Pro x64, connected to a PC monitor via DVI, and to a Pioneer Elite SC91 AV receiver through HDMI that I use when I want to display on my TV.

This setup was working great both in clone mode and extended desktop for a long time. This week I upgraded the TV connected to the receiver to a Sony XBR55x900E. Now I have an issue where my PC will be fine when just displaying on my PC monitor alone, and when the receiver is switched to the HDMI input my PC is connected to for multi monitor mode. However, if I swap the receiver to a different HDMI input for TV/Xbox/whatever else, my PC constantly switches from single monitor mode to dual mode, and back and forth every 2-3 seconds. Upon changing the receiver input back to the PC it goes back to working great.

I've tried turning off HDMI-CEC in case the new TV was giving it issues but it makes no difference.

Since the only difference is the TV connected to the receiver I wouldn't think that would cause a problem like this. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
4 Replies
bango
Adept I

I have a similar problem. I also have a dual monitor setup, but in my case my PC and TV are connected to the AV amplifier. The problem occurs when I use the AV amplifier to transfer the PC audio through the speakers. The TV is turned off during this time. For some reason, the TV turns on for about 10 seconds maximum (indicated by the TV lamp), but the display stays off. During this time my PC monitor starts to flicker, the sound is gone and every input I make is not recognized. This happens twice each time. Once when the TV goes on and then again when the TV goes off. This phenomenon has already happened 6 times today and it's getting annoying. Especially because at first I didn't know which hardware caused this, but what annoys me the most is that my PC even crashed a few times because of this problem. Meanwhile I know that this problem must somehow be related to a CEC function, but this option is disabled on both my TV and my AV amplifier. So I can only imagine the cause to be either the operating system or the graphics card.

0 Likes

Okay, first of all I want to stress that I was able to fix the problem I mentioned before and that it wasn't my graphics card or the driver.
The problem was caused by various settings on my AV receiver that want to pass all video signals to the TV that arrive at the AV receiver. The naming of the settings can be different for each device, such as HDMI CEC, HDMI Through, Audio Out etc..
TV's may also have similar options, which will ensure that the TV starts as soon as the AV receiver is switched on or a video signal is passed on to the TV.
So if someone has the same problem, they should first check the settings on the connected devices and disable them if necessary.

0 Likes

It's me again.

Unfortunately, I have to say that the problem is still there. The TV still turns on by itself, but not as often as before.
Before I go any further, I'd like to mention that I've purchased a new graphics card for a number of reasons. I replaced my RX 580 with an RTX 2070.
At least I don't have these dropouts on my PC anymore. I don't know if the reason for the error that is responsible for the monitor flickering and the input lag is caused by the graphics card or the adrenaline software, but my new GPU doesn't seem to have any problems with the event caused by my TV.

Even though I've changed the camp for the time being, I hope you'll get this and all other problems under control.

0 Likes

I have a  GTX 1070 connected via HDMI to my Onkyo A/V Receiver than via HDMI from my Onkyo A/V Receiver to my Computer monitor.  Then I have a HDMI connection between my GTX 1070 and Samsung Smart TV. 

Both audio works when i have my monitor on and Samsung TV. I hear audio from my Onkyo A/V Receiver (5.1 speakers) and I hear audio directly from my Samsung TV.

Before I had a AMD 7850 connected the same way to my Onkyo A/V Receiver without much audio or visual problems.

Now I have my GTX 1070 connected via Display Port directly to my Monitor (New 4K Monitor - LG) and HDMI still connected to my Onkyo for Audio. I have no issues with my video to my new Monitor nor Audio from my HDMI connected Onkyo A/V Receiver.  I still have my Samsung HD TV connected to the GTX 1070 via HDMI to get my desktop on my Samsung HD TV. I use the TV Audio or Onkyo Audio when I have the TV to view my desktop on my computer (Duplicate image)

In my Windows Sound Panel I have the Onkyo Audio as the "Default Audio Device".

Just my input concerning using a A/V Receiver connected to the computer.

0 Likes