cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

notIbrahim
Journeyman III

Is there possible to use different drivers with different GPUs but the Same Brand?

Hello There, can I ask something?

I have HD 7850 and RX 6400. I want to use both GPUs for different purposes.
1. HD 7850 I want to use as Decode and Encode Video as far as I could know the driver is already on the legacy driver.
2. RX 6400 I want to use as Rendering, but I can't find these drivers same as HD 7850 because I can't use them for Decode and Encode.
3. IGPU itself, I don't want to use them for heavy work.
as far as I could search up, I can't see this is possible, but there is one thread at AMD Community that said; it could by DDU them, But I couldn't tell if it works or not.

Can anyone sort this up?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You can't install drivers for a legacy GPU Card (HD7850) with a supported GPU Card (RX6400) at the same time in the same PC.

it is impossible because the last Legacy AMD Driver (06/2021) is incompatible with the newer RX6400 GPU card and the AMD Driver for the RX6400 is incompatible with the HD7850.

The only way to have two AMD GPU Cards in your PC is if both are compatible with the same AMD Driver.

NOTE: If you try to install both Legacy and Supported AMD Drivers they will most likely cancel one or the other during installation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

You can't install drivers for a legacy GPU Card (HD7850) with a supported GPU Card (RX6400) at the same time in the same PC.

it is impossible because the last Legacy AMD Driver (06/2021) is incompatible with the newer RX6400 GPU card and the AMD Driver for the RX6400 is incompatible with the HD7850.

The only way to have two AMD GPU Cards in your PC is if both are compatible with the same AMD Driver.

NOTE: If you try to install both Legacy and Supported AMD Drivers they will most likely cancel one or the other during installation.

Well, I guess I'm out of luck then, but anyway, thanks for clearing any doubt there, Really appreciate that. I enjoyed using AMD Card for 11 years, ngl the drivers are the best but man, I wish that I can buy RX 5500 2nd but ended up buying RX 6400. Hopefully, there are ways around isolating the driver.

Edited

Can ask something? Even driver like AMD Enterprise Pro on HD 7850 21.q1 and Normal Driver AMD Adrenalin 2022 newest, is there any chances to get it work?

0 Likes

I don't know about isolating the drivers but you could try a dual boot setup. Basically two windows installs and in one you disable the 6400 in device manager and install the drivers for the 7850 and the other you disable the 7850 and install the 6400 drivers. Not necessarily a great option, but it might solve your problem.

https://www.howtogeek.com/214477/how-to-dual-boot-two-or-more-versions-of-windows/

I'd assume the DDU option is basically similar but with a single install of windows. ie: you disable the card you don't want to use in device manager then use DDU to uninstall drivers then reinstall the driver for the video card you do want to use. But that sounds messy as hell (assuming it'd even work). You'd be constantly installing and uninstalling drivers.

0 Likes

Thank you for responding. Maybe I just dual boot windows, either way, it seems easier to not mess around with drivers

0 Likes
Fedgi
Adept I

You could possibly look into a third party modded driver that adds support for your 7850 into the latest drivers, particulary the NimeZ/Amernime Zone driver pack, there is a guru3d forum dedicated to it. As for if its possible to use one gpu for encode while the other renders, I am not very sure, especially with ReLive.

0 Likes