cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

orioslinger
Adept I

Is there any reasonable ways to fix radeon black screen bug for the 5000 series?

Recently I set up the new parts for my computer, and during the set up for the graphics card I ran into the dreaded black screen bug for the drivers.

the procedure went as a lot of others that run into the problem. I download the detector for the card, and I choose to install the suggested 20.4.2 update, at around 80% the whole screen just goes black and it permanently stays that way till I go in safe mode and remove them with a DDU. my specs and parts are brand-new and fully updated with the BIOS and windows is at 2004. thanks to anyone who can offer any suggestions.

here are the specs of the computer:

ryzen 5 3600

ASRock B450 steel legend mobo

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 8GB x 2

XFX Radeon 5500 XT

I have already submitted an error form to AMD and hopefully it can be better repaired with the upcoming July update.

0 Likes
20 Replies
kissmaozi
Adept I

try install 20.5.1 

Just got done trying with the 20.5.1 update and it was the same thing, i have sorta noticed that as the screen begins to black out it says the computer needs to restart, but i doubt it contributes anything

0 Likes

Black screen is seen with GeForce cards as well. 20.5.1 is the best option for Radeon pending a new driver which will likely surface sooner or later.

Just tried using the 20.5.1 update and the screen blacked out as with the others, best i can say is it stayed up for a small bit longer

0 Likes

I suggest for those with Ryzen 3000 series processors will see better performance with B550 or X570 motherboards

0 Likes

I plan on getting one later on, i didnt have as big of a budget to get one at the time

0 Likes

x570 are now starting to be less available suggesting a new chipset in upcoming

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

I suggest trying different display. 

0 Likes
tyrop
Adept I

I may have an answer.  I have a Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT, but the problem may be for any modern Radeon card.  I also have an X570 motherboard.  I have a similar problem where I get random black screens.  I hear sound for a few seconds and then the system reboots.  It seems to happen when the computer is idle or not under a heavy load.  Someone else posted a link to a video they found online with a possible solution and it worked for me.  I cannot find the post or the video, though.

The problem was that the video card actually does not work well with PCI-E generation 4.  (If you have a motherboard that does not have PCI-E gen 4, then this will not be your solution.)  

Many (but from what I understand not all) motherboards have a setting for the PCI-E slots that allow you to select the highest generation of PCI-E that it will accept.  The solution for me was to go into the motherboard's advanced BIOS settings and find the settings for the PCI-E slot where the card is plugged in. For almost everyone, it would be in PCI-E slot 1.   Change the setting from Gen 4 to Gen 3.  (From what I read online, we probably are not getting too much benefit from Gen 4 anyway). 

I have not tested this for more than a day, but I left my computer alone for hours, and it would have black-screened and rebooted.  It never did, so I think it worked.  

EDIT: I spoke too soon.  I am now on the second day and this did NOT work.  

0 Likes

Nah my B450 naturally has gen 3 PCIe ports so i doubt this will work, but thinking back it could actually be a chipset compatibility issue, reason being is your X570 chipset. when i had a 5700 (that i refunded when it didnt work) i brought it to my pc repair class to trouble shoot issues, i cant remember the motherboard chipset but i know its an aurous gaming wifi so X470 or X570. And the thing worked just fine, no issues whatsoever and i was actually able to do plenty of benchmarks with it. It led me to believe that my computer was too out dated to work, but now that i think into it abit more a combo from the chipset and PCIe compatibility could be the root issue.

0 Likes

Interesting.  We may have differing issues.  I found the video that mentions the issue:  Our FIRST Ryzen 3900X / RX 5700 XT Gaming PC Build! - YouTube   .  He mentions it at 10:04 minutes.    He said he noticed it when he used a riser card to make the video card sit horizontally.  I don't know if the riser card would have anything to do with it, though,

0 Likes

tyrop wrote:

Interesting.  We may have differing issues.  I found the video that mentions the issue:  Our FIRST Ryzen 3900X / RX 5700 XT Gaming PC Build! - YouTube   .  He mentions it at 10:04 minutes.    He said he noticed it when he used a riser card to make the video card sit horizontally.  I don't know if the riser card would have anything to do with it, though,

coin miners use USB PCIe cables and they work, The problem for gaming is that the card should be as close to the CPU as possible.

0 Likes
tyrop
Adept I

Well, my proposed fix didn't work.  I set my PCI-e to gen 3, and today, I am getting random black screens and reboots.  The only thing I can see from the Event Viewer is not helpful:

The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.  

0 Likes
milyoz
Adept I

Hello guys, did you try to install the latest pilot without the radeon adrenalin software?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhBLqTVxcBM

0 Likes

Hey so i just watched the video and i have to admit this is an incredible idea, all of my problems have usually occured inside the install for the adrenaline software and have never thought that it was a software issue rather than driver, im going to try this idea and get back to you on the result

0 Likes

I've a friend with same issues, i Will receive my 5700xt Wednesday so i take my time to look for all solutions on internet

This method had good effects when est I had problems with my 1050ti (3 years ago), i expect a good surprise for you, my friend and me ! 

0 Likes

Yeah i got the same usual video cut out after abit, but thats pretty helpful as it narrows it down to be driver specific

0 Likes

Tow ! AMD, listen our prayer ! 

milyoz
Adept I

Did you try display port insteed of hdmi with/without freesynch ? 

0 Likes

Sadly i dont have a monitor with display port on it, have been planning on getting a new one though.

0 Likes