cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

sourc7
Journeyman III

Is there an options at AMD Radeon Settings to disable AMDRSServ.exe and amdow.exe?

I didn't use it and it takes about 130MB of RAM. How to disable it by change an options at AMD Radeon Settings UI? 

0 Likes
3 Replies
alex_b
Adept II

These are necessary components for the work of Radeon Settings. For example, to manage settings through the overlay and so on. If you do not use Radeon Settings, you can disable them. To do this, open the Task Scheduler and disable the "StartCN" and "StartDVR" tasks. But if you start Radeon Settings manually, the components will start automatically.

0 Likes

Amdow.exe is related to Radeon "Relive" feature.

This User asked identical question previously at AMD Forum: amdow.exe and amdrsserv.exe always running 

I delete the amdow.exe in the AMD folder. You can try Autoruns to stop them from starting...sometimes works (you must run it as Administrator)

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

According to this website AMDDVR.exe concerns AMD Problem Report Wizard and AMD Relive: https://www.file.net/process/amddvr.exe.html.  

You can prevent installing AMD Problem Report Wizard during installation of AMD Driver.

According this thread in Reddit, AMDDVR.exe was renamed to AMDRSServ.exe : https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/aidavh/amdrsservexe_bad_image/ 

RTG Engineer1 point · 1 month ago · edited 1 month ago

AmdDvr.exe and some related functionality was renamed into AMDRsServ.exe (radeon settings service).

I've encountered similar issues when I received a bsod during driver install and windows didn't fully sync data to disk.

Clearing the driver store using ddu (or AmdCleanupUtility.exe provided by AMD installer package, c:\amd\radeon.....18.x.x\Bin64 folder) while on safe mode generally solves the problem with inconsistent files.

The custom install selection in Radeon Installer runs A.C.U. when you choose 'clean install'

0 Likes

I guess my response is moderating...but

I always delete  amdow ...I don't use the overlay. Use Autoruns (must be run as administrator) to prevent anything else from starting.