cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jenkinsbs
Adept I

Is there a time frame on when AMD will release Radeon drivers for Vega 8 APUs to support Playready 3.0 DRM?

So I just built up my new HTPC using a Ryzen 3 2200g paired with a Asrock B450M-HDV motherboard, both support 4k, UHD, and HDR, and can use it just great to watch 4k YouTube videos, Ultra HD Blueray disks, etc... But not with Netflix

From reading previous posts, AMD has released drivers for discrete GPUs to support Playready 3.0 so you can stream Netflix in 4k (apparently its the only DRM management that Netflix uses)

Does anyone have any idea when AMD will release a driver for APUs that support Playready 3.0?

Cheers!

0 Likes
1 Solution

It was, but only for Polaris:

AMD 18.4.1 Driver Brings Beta PlayReady 3.0 Support for Polaris; Support for Vega GPUs & APUs Still ...

And here's an article on the 'official' ones, the 18.5.1, in which just the RX400 and RX500 series get support:

AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 adds support for Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 & Windows 10 April Upda...

At least @OP: yes there was a timeframe; Q2 2018, and it's long overdue when it comes to Vega...

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Cornugon
Miniboss

I would like to know this as well. PlayReady support was included sometime early this year for Polaris GPUs, with support for Vega promised "soon".

It's nearly 2019, and there's still no PlayReady 3.0 support for anything Vega.

I've been sidegrading my GTX1080 to a Vega 64 mainly for FreeSync 2 support (bought a new monitor, FS is definitely worth it!), but the loss of being able to watch Netflix-shows in HDR (or 4K for that matter) is kind of unacceptable.

Ofcourse we can also blame Netflix for choosing this DRM to screw paying customers over...

Yea, and after hearing that the Edge browser is gonna be dying, im not sure what that means for whatever drivers AMD was developing, or if this may make it a faster turn around

0 Likes

Looks like according to this article that AMD commited to having this in Q2 2018. If it is not already apparently they are a bit late.

AMD Plans PlayReady 3.0 Support for Polaris and Vega based GPUs in 2018, Vega APUs in Q2

0 Likes

It was, but only for Polaris:

AMD 18.4.1 Driver Brings Beta PlayReady 3.0 Support for Polaris; Support for Vega GPUs & APUs Still ...

And here's an article on the 'official' ones, the 18.5.1, in which just the RX400 and RX500 series get support:

AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.5.1 adds support for Microsoft PlayReady 3.0 & Windows 10 April Upda...

At least @OP: yes there was a timeframe; Q2 2018, and it's long overdue when it comes to Vega...

So basically another reason not to buy Vega? Thanks been thinking about getting one.

0 Likes

I don't think its a reason not to buy Vega, as this problem is JUST with Netflix (and im sure AMD will come out with support for it soon)

No issues viewing ANY other 4k content other than what is on Netflix, I love the 2200g, great chip for a great price in an HPTC

0 Likes

I am just saying for me it is another and I don't really need another card. I wasn't meaning to put words in YOUR mouth. Just saying this information added to some other issues I am seeing are making me feel I already probably have the best cost effective solution already and it just isn't time to invest in something new yet.

Completely understandable. New tech brings new problems

0 Likes

It's hardly new technology if PlayReady 3.0 was included in Windows 10's 2016 anniversary-update, and a short while later Netflix finally was beginning to support 4K on PC, but only on certain Intel processors (because of piracy ofcourse, since like always us PC users are treated like criminals beforehand)...

So true! No DRM I have seen so far accomplishes it's goal. It doesn't keep anything away from those that steal. They typically have any new DRM circumvented in the first week, so many of these in the past promised to be unbreakable. They get all these companies on board their new standard based on this promise. Whammy, the break it in no time! It only makes it more difficult for the honest folks to deal with. So many times over the years I have seen people say the pirated games run better than the ones that have the DRM still in it. I recently had an old game I wanted to play I legitimately own but it's DRM isn't supported so you have to find another copy WINK WINK to still play it.

0 Likes
Cornugon
Miniboss

On a side note: the new Adrenalin 2019 drivers still don't support it for Vega..

In all fairness they are busy introducing new features that won't work. So they don't have time making features work that were promised years ago.

0 Likes