cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pcoletti
Journeyman III

Is the r9 200 supported under win 10 64?

Is the R9 200 supported under Windows 10 64?

Been running Win 8 and 8.1 for some years with this card -- no problem.

Upgraded to Windows 10 64-bit about 2 years ago and have been getting blue screen crashes regularly with memory errors (not exclusively).

Also get Chrome browser deaths (the black reload screen) and occasionally get Windows Divx errors when running CoD MW2 but most often when running CoD MW2 I'll get freezes for about 8 seconds which eventually resolve themselves (it's as if the driver is being quarantined and then reloaded). Also see weird artefacts on screen when playing CoD.

I've spent the last year upgrading hoping that the crashes will eventually be ironed out but I've had enough and am about to ditch the card but thought I might try the forum -- I can see others have had similar issues but there seems to be no real response from AMD.

So after many months of clean Win installs and AMD upgrades I'm now running 

Win 10 64 (1709)

Radeon 18.12.2

And before anyone asks -- I am unable to upgrade my Win 10 any further -- it simply errors out during the upgrade and restores my previous version (1709).

P

0 Likes
11 Replies

If you are experiencing errors upgrading Windows 10, there is an issue which extends farther than the graphics card. Have you run Memtest86 to rule out RAM errors? https://www.memtest86.com

0 Likes

Run memtests. No problems 

0 Likes

What mother board?

0 Likes

Also, current AMD drivers for Win10 are optimized for the latest public release.

0 Likes

Asus p6t deluxe v2

radeon card is the asus oem version too

0 Likes

You could try https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

If you have multiple drives, suggest you disable the non OS ones for the repair install..

If that fails then you have more than graphics driver issues.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

"If you have multiple drives, suggest you disable the non OS ones."

Can you expand on this a bit? It's just about the only damn thing left I haven't tried . . . 

Have now disabled all virtualisation features in the BIOS. Still getting BSODs, about 15 a week.

0 Likes

Sorry, should have said disable other non OS drives when/if you do the OS repair install.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Nice tip but didn't work.

I have an SSD OS disk and an IDE disk for files. I physically disconnected the IDE and used the PC for a few hours -- got two BSODS in that time, as usual memory-related errors.

I also tried an in-place upgrade using Windows 10 media created this month. Got the same old "restoring your previous version of windows" after the install followed by "We couldn't install Windows 10 0xC1900101 - 0x30017. The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation".

In addition to that I now have a black screen upon sign in which I get around by CTR-ALT-DEL, and running explorer.exe -- it takes about 5 minutes for explorer to spring into life but eventually it does.

Beginning to suspect and regretfully accept that I simply have a dud / old / unsupported motherboard and I'll simply have to rebuild.

Appreciate all the tips

0 Likes
scratch4416
Journeyman III

I had similar problems upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10. My system was an Asus Sabertooth 990fx with AMD fx 8350, 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws, and Asus DirectCUII R9 290x. I had installed Windows 10 over my existing Windows 7 (upgraded). After countless hours of troubleshooting and finding no solutions, I threw my hard drive in the trash, bought a new one, and installed Windows 10 fresh. I had no more problems. Never did find what was causing it, but I suspect some sort of driver read errors related to the OS overwrite. You could try formatting your drive, or getting a new one like I did. If you do, make sure you backup any important files.

Dual boot? Disabled Fast Startup?

Here's how:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

"When you shut down a computer with Fast Startup enabled, Windows locks down the Windows hard disk. You won’t be able to access it from other operating systems if you have your computer configured to dual-boot. Even worse, if you boot into another OS and then access or change anything on the hard disk (or partition) that the hibernating Windows installation uses, it can cause corruption. If you're dual booting, it’s best not to use Fast Startup or Hibernation at all."

0 Likes