Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RPX100
Miniboss

Is the 5700XT stable now? (Nov 2020)

Hello everyone.

This is my first post in (any) AMD related Forums (ever).  ^^

Is it currently safe to buy the Radeon RX 5700 XT? Are the driver issues fixed?

- I want to continue gaming @1080p/60FPS/Ultra (for the next ~3 years)

- games: GTA V, Sea of Thieves, No Mans Sky

- plan is to combine it with Ryzen 7 3800XT

Is there anything to keep in mind in regards to the driver issues?

Thank you.

-RPX100

p.s.: yes, I know Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 series are out.

But it is impossible to get them at the MSRP here in Germany.

(out of stock all the time or at least 100 EUR more)

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
1 Solution

Hi,

This thread has summary of pretty much every RX5700XT available:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/amd-fires-back-at-super-nvidia-with-radeon-rx-5700-...

Sapphire, PowerColor and Gigabyte RX5700XT reviews, teardowns, PCB analysis  from Gamers Nexus were all positve.

From memory:

The rest had various problems. Some serious build /heatsink/thermal pad/Cooler design  issues on Asus and MSI and XFX models.

XFX fixed issues in later "THICC" models.

ASUS sent out replacement screws for the GPU heatsink which was falling off for the GPU owner to fit themselves...

They did not do a product recall.
They then replaced the early models with new ones but the old ones are still available in retail chain.
MSI had tiny thermal pads on some models. They should have done a product recall but I have no evidence they did.

Apart from that, many users reported problems with blackscreening and instability on this forum on all of the RX5700XT versions including Sapphire and PowerColor and Gigabyte. Some returned their GPUs.
I found that the GPUs had higher than specification game and boost clocks set versus manufacturer specification for the cards depending on driver versions.

I think the RX5700XT was run right on the edge of stability to get as much performance out of them as possible.

That is as much information I have.

Hopefully AIB manufacturers learned from RX5700XT experience and will do a better job this time around.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

27 Replies