Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RPX100
Miniboss

Is the 5700XT stable now? (Nov 2020)

Hello everyone.

This is my first post in (any) AMD related Forums (ever).  ^^

Is it currently safe to buy the Radeon RX 5700 XT? Are the driver issues fixed?

- I want to continue gaming @1080p/60FPS/Ultra (for the next ~3 years)

- games: GTA V, Sea of Thieves, No Mans Sky

- plan is to combine it with Ryzen 7 3800XT

Is there anything to keep in mind in regards to the driver issues?

Thank you.

-RPX100

p.s.: yes, I know Ryzen 5000 and Radeon 6000 series are out.

But it is impossible to get them at the MSRP here in Germany.

(out of stock all the time or at least 100 EUR more)

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]
1 Solution

Hi,

This thread has summary of pretty much every RX5700XT available:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/amd-fires-back-at-super-nvidia-with-radeon-rx-5700-...

Sapphire, PowerColor and Gigabyte RX5700XT reviews, teardowns, PCB analysis  from Gamers Nexus were all positve.

From memory:

The rest had various problems. Some serious build /heatsink/thermal pad/Cooler design  issues on Asus and MSI and XFX models.

XFX fixed issues in later "THICC" models.

ASUS sent out replacement screws for the GPU heatsink which was falling off for the GPU owner to fit themselves...

They did not do a product recall.
They then replaced the early models with new ones but the old ones are still available in retail chain.
MSI had tiny thermal pads on some models. They should have done a product recall but I have no evidence they did.

Apart from that, many users reported problems with blackscreening and instability on this forum on all of the RX5700XT versions including Sapphire and PowerColor and Gigabyte. Some returned their GPUs.
I found that the GPUs had higher than specification game and boost clocks set versus manufacturer specification for the cards depending on driver versions.

I think the RX5700XT was run right on the edge of stability to get as much performance out of them as possible.

That is as much information I have.

Hopefully AIB manufacturers learned from RX5700XT experience and will do a better job this time around.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

27 Replies

You might want to wait to see if existing RX5700XT will get refreshed or replaced by newer model.

I have run & tested  RX5700XT GPU for PC builds and they have been mostly stable w/o bluescreening / blackscreen on drivers since ~ Adrenalin 20.8.2.  

But. I did get a blackscreen freeze on Fortnite after upgrading to Adrenalin 20.11.2 drver from  20.9.2 today. 
PC not overclocked at all. Running at stock. 
Not sure what the cause was. 

Not been able to repeat yet. 

If you are going to purchase an RX5700XT then PowerColor or Sapphire seem to be the best bet. 

Thank you for your feedback.

I got tired of waiting for cards (and CPUs) to be in stock, here in Germany.

I prefer to end the wait and just get older hardware now, that can do the job just fine. (1080p)

I have not read much about the exact cause of the crashes... but I have seen people talk

about the issue on several different cards, including Sapphire and Powercolor.

So I am quite unsure if I should buy this card at all. ^^

It would be a good fit for my needs, if it does it job without crashing.

Not planning on any overclocking. Just "out of the box" casual gaming.

--- [ CPU: Ryzen 7 3800XT | GPU: ASRock RX 5700XT Challenger Pro 8GB | driver: 24.1.1 ]
--- [ MB: MSI B550-A Pro AGESA 1.2.0.7 | RAM: 2x 16GB 3600-CL16 | chipset: 6.01.25.342 ]

issues that you can expect with 5700xt are:

- like me, relive refuses to record anything. (asrock challenger)
- my causin got blue screens and system reboots (red devil) bough a new one (gigabyte) and works like a charm (rma fixed the red devil, so it's not a driver issue)

- loud, do not buy asrock challenger! it's loud as f.... fan mounts are not designed for the card so you need to tyrip between the fans to stop the shroud from rattling harder then you can imagine, if that does not botter you then the challeger is a perfect buy price/performance. (fans are loud tho so if you got your pc next to you then skip it)

So far red devil and gigabyte works fine as well and are not as loud as the challenger, those two are perfectly fine if your pc is standing next to you.

Thank you for the insights.

Noise is indeed quite important for me to consider.

I have owned loud cards in the past and don't want that again. ^^

Do you use headphones when you play a game? then the noise is ok-ish, but if you like me use a surround set then the fans are defently loud. Not in all game tho, like ark, satisfactory, battlefield, poe, fans go loud, but like oni, rl the fans wont even spin up.

but be safe, and just skip the asrock, at the time i bought it it was 100 bucks cheaper in a sale so i bought it, well i know why it was on sale haha, but if you can live with it, it's a great card, had not a single issue since i bought it like 5/6 months ago.

I do use headphones, while gaming. I prefer to watch movies (on netflix, etc) via surround.

Are you talking about the 2-fan-design AsRock card?

There is a new triple fan design (launched 2020) "AsRock Radeon RX 5700 XT Challenger Pro 8G OC"

Does this have the same noise issues when the fans are spinning?

Thank you.

i checked my invoice, apearently i got an 'd 8gb oc' as well with 2 fans.

1 more fan and another shroud attachment to the board in the back and all problems would be gone.

So i personally think that the 3 fan is just their response to the bad shroud(rattling and only 2 screws to keep it attached to the board, that's why i used a tyrip between the fans to stop the rattling without messing with the warranty) and noise from the 2 fan setup. and that those issues would be gone.

1 more fan would defently reduce the noise by 50% that makes it even with other cards.

For movies or series :P you will not hear the card and fans won't spin up, so it's noise free

Hi,

This thread has summary of pretty much every RX5700XT available:

https://community.amd.com/t5/general-discussions/amd-fires-back-at-super-nvidia-with-radeon-rx-5700-...

Sapphire, PowerColor and Gigabyte RX5700XT reviews, teardowns, PCB analysis  from Gamers Nexus were all positve.

From memory:

The rest had various problems. Some serious build /heatsink/thermal pad/Cooler design  issues on Asus and MSI and XFX models.

XFX fixed issues in later "THICC" models.

ASUS sent out replacement screws for the GPU heatsink which was falling off for the GPU owner to fit themselves...

They did not do a product recall.
They then replaced the early models with new ones but the old ones are still available in retail chain.
MSI had tiny thermal pads on some models. They should have done a product recall but I have no evidence they did.

Apart from that, many users reported problems with blackscreening and instability on this forum on all of the RX5700XT versions including Sapphire and PowerColor and Gigabyte. Some returned their GPUs.
I found that the GPUs had higher than specification game and boost clocks set versus manufacturer specification for the cards depending on driver versions.

I think the RX5700XT was run right on the edge of stability to get as much performance out of them as possible.

That is as much information I have.

Hopefully AIB manufacturers learned from RX5700XT experience and will do a better job this time around.

Good luck.

Thank you @colesdav for the link to the other thread. Will look into that one and do a search.

It is good to know that some of these cards even had issues with other things than just drivers.

So I will keep that in mind as well.

Thank you @RPX100

FYI I had a blackscreen, audio buzz and PC reboot yesterday playing BFV at 4K Ultra on RX5700XT. 
Nothing on the PC was overclocked at all, including the GPU.
On reboot I had the AMD Bug Reporting tool open up when I launched the drivers and I had a message saying the AMD Adrenalin Driver setiings had been reset to default due to a driver crash

Windows checks passed o.k. 
BFV game file checks passed o.k.

I think the VRAM or GPU hotspot may have gone over the edge. 
The GPU hotspot temps were high, near the limit  before the crash.

Setting the GPU Fans to maximum and increasing the Power Limit to +50% as experiment seems to prevent the crash
for 1 day. 

I will not file AMD Bug Report until AMD give opt out for data trawl when submitting report.
Running Windows 10 2004 with latest patches. Adrenalin 2020 20.11.2. 

Thanks. 

@colesdav thanks for the update!

I appreciate your insights on the issues and the details on what you are trying to prevent them.

cheers

Well, I tested the ASRock RX 5700 XT myself over the past 2 days.

You can read my personal review for this card here: ASRock RX 5700 XT Challenger Pro (triple-fan) 

To answer my initial question of this topic: seems like the cards still crash in late 2020.

Now I have to return it and have to look for another card to use. Difficult times, no stock available anywhere. :headache:

0 Likes

after doing this it fix the issues the main problem is not the card it is the drivers if you put it on game mode it will F everything up i have this card since march 22 2019 and i just finally fix the dame problem 2 weeks ago then i make that videos for others . 

some how the gaming mode and AMD freesync miss the card up idk what it is but that is the main problem and if you put it on gaming mode you cant take it off until you delete driver with the tool and install it again and do factory reset to change the gaming mode  to any other mode. 

0 Likes
jjmonte20
Adept I

Drivers are stable, but I'd hold out on your card rn, it's just buyers remorse for not getting a better card for the money

Alright so I’m planning on building my first pc soon and getting the ryzen 7 3700x but was thinking of combining it with the Rx 5700 xt if anyone can help or recommend a card similar price gpu going along with my cpu plz respond 

0 Likes
rainingtacco
Challenger

wait for 6700xt, it should be soon released. I doubt the price will be higher, but i might be wrong. 

Ok I’ll see prolly gonna spend around 1200.

@rainingtacco wrote:

wait for 6700xt, it should be soon released. I doubt the price will be higher, but i might be wrong. 

Also what are ur thoughts on the 5700 xt do u think it is good or no?

swps
Adept I

I have not had any issues with my Powercolor Red Devil 5700XT in quite some time now.  It seems that the driver optimization has really progressed.  Now, I wasn't ever really having serious issues before either, but I'm 100% confident in them now.  I know there are new cards out there and even rumors of a 6700 and 6700 XT coming soon, but if they are as hard to get as the 6800/XT or Ampere cards, it might be a while and for 1080p or even 1440p gaming the 5700 xt is a great performer and option.  I would not hesitate to get one now and enjoy it!

amdgpurules
Adept II

I have RX 5700 which is stable since drivers 20.9.2.

Only limitation which I know are artefacts in picture when AA is enabled in Life is Strange and flickering in Sherlock Holmes. Both know for long time and reported.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/comments/fzlhcv/sherlock_holmes_crimes_and_punishments_flickering/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/319630/discussions/0/3647273545692751773/

try this, I had 0 black screen or crash after doing this things on this video . it been 2 week i can play with no problem 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd0065duKE

@taskforce131 wrote:

try this, I had 0 black screen or crash after doing this things on this video . it been 2 week i can play with no problem 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd0065duKE

Thank you. I reinstalled the driver and did not touch the "gaming" profile.

So far no more blackscreens and no more crashes. Still have to test a few things to make sure it is stable.

I still have some time to test this card (and if it is indeed a driver issue or not) before I need to return it (if I need to).

@taskforce131 can you say anything about the Radeon Anti Lag and Radeon Imarge Sharpening features?

Are they causing crashes, too? (I see they are also disabled in the "standard" profile!)

0 Likes

Radeon "Anti-Lag" testing showed it to be barely perceptible and useless unless the GPU is struggling to maintain about 60 FPS.
I have no idea why AMD is even promoting that feature at all. 
Just turn it off.  
I think it is Marketing BS.
I think it is the same as Chill on with Chill Min = Chill Max = 300.

If you want to game with lower latency and faster FPS just turn down the Graphics settings in the game. 

do not play with any option if you chose game mode you will not be able to turn off the options the software will show it is off but actually it will stay on until you complete delete the drivers and do factory reset. changing between modes is not working for this software so anytime you want to change you need to go through the same steps . 

and answer to your question is all the things in gaming mode course issues for gaming for some reason so that why we put it on standard 

0 Likes

tested the card with different workloads today and it did not crash anymore,

after re-installing the driver and chosing the "standard" profile.

I have tried multidisplay setups and multitasking between different windows,

browser tabs, discord, fullscreen and window mode, watching videos while gaming,

alt-tabing out of fullscreen games and other stuff that I use on a daily basis.

custom fan curve and undervolting is working without issues, too.

If this setup keeps being stable, I might keep the card for daily use,

instead of returning it and waiting for other cards to be in stock for a good price. ^^

Thank you @taskforce131 ! You really turned this mess into a working and stable to use GPU.

I will test some more and then I will update my review in the other topic aswell.

0 Likes

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of the issues people have with this card have been with overclocking or gpu boost.  Most of the time it's not an issue, but 5700xt is more sensitive for some reason

0 Likes