cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

airniux
Adept I

Is it a driver/bios issue, or is it the RAM?

I just built my first PC for 4K film editing and gaming. Here is a link to my parts list (let me know if it doesn't work): https://pcpartpicker.com/user/airniux/saved/gqDVcf

Even after (seemingly) installing all of the drivers for the GPU and motherboard using their accompanying utilities, I have been having intermittent lag when gaming, even when bumping the graphics settings down. This happens on several games. Sometimes I don't get the lag, and everything runs fine. Usually, the lag doesn't happen if I force shut-off the tower (I understand this flushes power from MB), but the lag usually DOES happen after attempting to do a regular reboot or shut-down. I say "attempt" because if I do a REGULAR reboot, it lags during reboot and eventually crashes to a Windows blue screen with an error that reads "Driver Power State Failure". If I force shut-off, the problem typically does not occur. I spoke with AMD support yesterday, and the guy suggested this indicated a problem happening ONLY when the OS is running, and if the MB is flushed of power it resets itself, also resetting the problem/conflict.

I spoke with AMD support yesterday, and they informed me that the RAM I purchased was a bit too high of a frequency rating. I have the Ryzen 3900x CPU, which apparently supports up to 3200mhz RAM. I actually installed Ripjaws V 32GB (2x16GB) 3600mhz. The support agent told me that there is a way to adjust the BIOS for the CPU to run at 3600mhz, but he said I would probably also have to adjust the BIOS for the MB to match, as it probably automatically "tuned" itself to the CPU. He also seemed unsure that this would be a solution for the problems. He suggested that it could also be from other causes such as faulty RAM sticks or SSD. His suggestion now is to run MemTest86 for several hours and progressively adjust the XMP to see if the problem persists. This is a very foreign subject to me.

Is it likely the RAM frequency that is causing all of the aforementioned issues: lag, reboot crashes, etc.? Is it more likely a hardware failure of some sort? Or is this caused by a missing driver, BIOS update, etc.?

What do you guys think?

12 Replies